Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Honestly, I don't like the way AoD and CSRPG's character systems are balanced using THC and not damage output. It doesn't fit the game's setting all.

Games like JA2 worked because you've had to constantly outplay your enemies, especially in the beginning. In a game with rifles like CSRPG, the 'Courtroom' arena has the player unable to position the characters sufficiently away from the enemy NPCs as to avoid getting hit in melee during the first turn. This notion of brawling with guns is dumb compared to the alternative of less-outlandish small-unit tactics.

Without extensive optimizing, firing a burst of 5 bullets at point blank range at about 80% human enemy types will only scratch them. Where's the fun in that?

Just don't mistake this for any official Codex position or anything like that. My RPG opinions are generally less prestigious than GRPG regulars. Anyway, Still, I bought the game and don't regret it.

Last edited:

Sòren

Arcane
infiltrating the warehouse in Brotherhoods admin district (sneak 6, western side of the map) is bugged. for some reason the battle is initiated after you are caught by the cameras.

jackofshadows

Magister
Without extensive optimizing, firing a burst of 5 bullets at point blank range at about 80% human enemy types will only scratch them. Where's the fun in that?
If you hit, and there's no armor, pretty much any enemy here is dead by 5 bullets. Hell, one shots are very much possible with rifles or shotguns. Don't forget that turn based = abstraction and it's hard for you character to hit someone at point blank range when the opponent(s) is mashing them with a club. Also yeah, optimizing is required here in order to play on default difficulty, that's a given. That's why most of us here for, in fact.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Also yeah, optimizing is required here in order to play on default difficulty, that's a given. That's why most of us here for, in fact.
Except there's not enough tactical depth. Cover is simplistic and combat area design is atrociously bad. Positioning is more of a puzzle and a case of trial and error than anything else. What you have is build depth and story/quest depth but that's wasted in a party-based and ranged-weapons-based system.

The story is disappointing compared to AoD. The old-world locations were fascinating with their mysteries and it was really satisfying to get through them despite (or maybe because of) metagaming. What we have instead is shitty journal in the lander (though it's a low point, others are somewhat more interesting). Without a historical setting, the authors are out of their depth.

When the subjects were history and the Mythos, ITS' games worked just fine. The hard scifi setting is appropriately designed but they haven't done anything interesting with it. Aliens are almost-human bipedals, aka the dreaded 'rubber forehead aliens' (semi-spoiler, Vince talked about it a long while ago around the time the game was released in EA). Rocketry and orbital mechanics and even life support are a very interesting and complex subject, just play KSP RP-1+Kerbalism or even plain KSP or SimpleRockets/Juno, or watch a video by the Pressure-Fed Astronaut.

Edit: if you want to see a good approach at writing a first contact with alien species story, read S. Lem's Eden.

Honestly in terms of colony ship settings and stories that can be told even the visual novel by the proto-SJW woman had more interesting writing (as long as you can stomach weeb-SJW shit) and exploration of the human condition. The Golden Age of Science-Fiction had too many stories that could be adapted/synthesized especially by writers underappreciated in mass culture. Could've made the factions, locations and side quests borrow from Cordwainer Smith or even PKD's (still underappreciated!) paranoid Cold War style with a large dose of delusions of reference that was his specialty. Instead they've done nothing at all of the sort, and the story is almost perfunctory.
Still worth buying twice over. :smug:

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The story is disappointing compared to AoD. The old-world locations were fascinating with their mysteries and it was really satisfying to get through them despite (or maybe because of) metagaming. What we have instead is shitty journal in the lander (though it's a low point, others are somewhat more interesting). Without a historical setting, the authors are out of their depth.
The story is better I think but the worldbuilding is not as cool. AoD did fall apart once you looked at it closely (iirc they invented crossbows, nukes and nanotech at essentially the same time), colony ship feels like it doesn't have enough material to look closely at. But there's a lot of weird stuff even here, like the factions being at war but you just walk the 50m between their hqs while heavily armed. Or how can shuttle bay possibly ally with the pit when they're on complete opposite sides of the ship?

Still a cool game though.

motherfucker

Educated
I feel like they should've set the game during the Mutiny. "We didn't choose to be born into this" makes for a great plot hook, but not when it's ancient history. "We're essentially born prisoners on a ship that might not even make it" when there's enough resources and space to go around so nobody has to fight for survival does not work nearly as well. It doesn't present any interesting ethical questions because the life barely differs from what we have in the real world. They might have set it on today's real Earth and it would have been largely the same.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I feel like they should've set the game during the Mutiny. "We didn't choose to be born into this" makes for a great plot hook, but not when it's ancient history. "We're essentially born prisoners on a ship that might not even make it" when there's enough resources and space to go around so nobody has to fight for survival does not work nearly as well. It doesn't present any interesting ethical questions because the life barely differs from what we have in the real world. They might have set it on today's real Earth and it would have been largely the same.
Maybe not during the mutiny, but closer would be a bit better I think. It seems to be hundreds of years afterwards, which creates the fallout 3 problem of how come no one looted all this stuff already.

notpl

Arbiter
Might I suggest putting AoD on sale alongside Colony Ship's release? Make it a more appealing impulse buy to any new fans you may win over.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Might I suggest putting AoD on sale alongside Colony Ship's release? Make it a more appealing impulse buy to any new fans you may win over.

Better yet, might think about packaging them together for a slightly lower overall cost to grab new players.

None

Scholar
Fixed the hydro bug, and we have the new music tracks. The final mix hydro one, which sounds amazing, plus a very cool new track for armory and MC.

new tracks are amazing.
Thank God. I was getting a little tired of playing through the whole game with what seemed like only a couple of soundtracks on loop.

Excited for the release, not sure how I'll tackle my playthrough as I've already essentially beaten the game once.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Release when frens
9am EST (most likely).
^From VD on steam.
So in about 4 hours?

In theory you can check out the public test branch whenever. I guess there won't be that many changes, or any, changes to the first parts in an eventual day 0 patch. I think there will be a launch day sale though.

Shaki

Arbiter
Also yeah, optimizing is required here in order to play on default difficulty, that's a given. That's why most of us here for, in fact.
Except there's not enough tactical depth. Cover is simplistic and combat area design is atrociously bad. Positioning is more of a puzzle and a case of trial and error than anything else. What you have is build depth and story/quest depth but that's wasted in a party-based and ranged-weapons-based system.

When the subjects were history and the Mythos, ITS' games worked just fine. The hard scifi setting is appropriately designed but they haven't done anything interesting with it. Aliens are almost-human bipedals, aka the dreaded 'rubber forehead aliens' (semi-spoiler, Vince talked about it a long while ago around the time the game was released in EA). Rocketry and orbital mechanics and even life support are a very interesting and complex subject, just play KSP RP-1+Kerbalism or even plain KSP or SimpleRockets/Juno, or watch a video by the Pressure-Fed Astronaut.

Edit: if you want to see a good approach at writing a first contact with alien species story, read S. Lem's Eden.

Honestly in terms of colony ship settings and stories that can be told even the visual novel by the proto-SJW woman had more interesting writing (as long as you can stomach weeb-SJW shit) and exploration of the human condition. The Golden Age of Science-Fiction had too many stories that could be adapted/synthesized especially by writers underappreciated in mass culture. Could've made the factions, locations and side quests borrow from Cordwainer Smith or even PKD's (still underappreciated!) paranoid Cold War style with a large dose of delusions of reference that was his specialty. Instead they've done nothing at all of the sort, and the story is almost perfunctory.
Still worth buying twice over. :smug:
Shut up, combat is perfect and story is perfect, and it's winning Codex GOTY over BG3:x

Shaki

Arbiter
The story is better I think but the worldbuilding is not as cool. AoD did fall apart once you looked at it closely (iirc they invented crossbows, nukes and nanotech at essentially the same time), colony ship feels like it doesn't have enough material to look closely at. But there's a lot of weird stuff even here, like the factions being at war but you just walk the 50m between their hqs while heavily armed. Or how can shuttle bay possibly ally with the pit when they're on complete opposite sides of the ship?

Coolest thing about AoD was it being full of mysteries that you might not even begin to touch depending on what character you played, every playthrough I did would uncover some mind blowing shit

Üstad

Arcane

Coolest thing about AoD was it being full of mysteries that you might not even begin to touch depending on what character you played, every playthrough I did would uncover some mind blowing shit
Especially 50 shades of getting fucked by Militiades.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

Honestly Aod had advantage of post apo rome making sense for the lore being sparse because it was lost and at the same time being very rewarding puzzle once you put the pieces together, while still having enough missing stuff giving way to several different interpretations. made you feel like an archeologist when you went Loremaster, which IMHO means it was well done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom