Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pladio

Educated
if they were one for one,yeah feats are more valuable,but it is not. You get 3-4 tags while you get feat every level and a bonus feat every 3th level. It is not even comparable lol. You will get the needed feats by the end of the game and they are retroactive,while feats you get them early or it is wasted xp. So in the end it is about of which skill you get 3-5 levels more. Which is like 15-25 evasion or what ever you want. In the long run getting bonus tag is more important than getting an early boost to X. Also your graph is wrong,the bigger the numbers the more noticeable the gap becomes. When the needed XP is like 100 for levelling,it is obvious that you will end up with a level or two ahead,when it becomes 5000 or so,the gap will widen.
Let me check the numbers if I made a mistake. I might have.

As I said I did it quickly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
if they were one for one,yeah feats are more valuable,but it is not. You get 3-4 tags while you get feat every level and a bonus feat every 3th level. It is not even comparable lol. You will get the needed feats by the end of the game and they are retroactive,while feats you get them early or it is wasted xp. So in the end it is about of which skill you get 3-5 levels more. Which is like 15-25 evasion or what ever you want. In the long run getting bonus tag is more important than getting an early boost to X. Also your graph is wrong,the bigger the numbers the more noticeable the gap becomes. When the needed XP is like 100 for levelling,it is obvious that you will end up with a level or two ahead,when it becomes 5000 or so,the gap will widen.

Have no idea what numbers you cite,the game is not out.

Pladio

Educated

Have no idea what numbers you cite,the game is not out.
What are you talking about ?

The game is obviously out in Early Access. The numbers are simply taken directly from the game. But I did make a mistake, as I didn't do cumulative experience gained.
Again, you're not getting 3-5 levels per skill, just 1 level difference between a tagged skill and an untagged skill if you were to gain the same base xp.

Basically, except for Level 2 to 3 which is a 300% increase in XP requirement (40 from lvl 1 to 2 -> 120 from lvl 2 to 3) - every subsequent level is ~50% increase in total XP required per level.
In the graph above, I have assumed the same thing to reach lvl 10 as I am not sure what the actual requirement is currently.

In case you want the file, here it is:
https://gofile.io/d/ykbECC

Trash Player

Scholar
Wait, isn't tagged 200% sp? That graph is 150%, which is mastermind's.
Tagged doesn't really matter much with combat skill. 2 skill levels are in general less impactful than a feat. Coming from AoD, Iron Tower doesn't push numbers to that extent.
Non-combat skill is a different matter due to its gating nature.

Parabalus

Arcane
Can you make all the skill checks in the beta without tags?

With mastermind you can, but with a different starting feat?

Thal

Augur
Guys who have it, hows difficulty compared to Age ?

I would say it's way easier to get into. Since it's a more traditional party-based rpg, you know how to approach it, and since the game distributes your learning points for you, you don't need to worry about meta.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Guys who have it, hows difficulty compared to Age ?
A cakewalk, tbh. But VD already said he'll make it a lot tougher before leaving EA.
Ohhhh gods,it will be another edgy garbage then. The difficulty at the moment is perfect. It is hard enough to give you a challenge from time to time,but easy enough to not make you save scum 50 times per battle because you lost a companion or died. In AoD at least you could get past because of the skill system. Here you don't have skill points to put in combat skills and you will end up stuck.

Parabalus

Arcane
Upping the difficulty of the non-combat gameplay will def be extremely annoying.

E.g. right now if you don't spend the initial skill point on Computers, even if you tag it, you have to delay a lot of content so you can get the needed 1->2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The difficulty at the moment is perfect.
Really? It felt far too easy to me. If he keeps it as is, I hope he'll include a hard difficulty mode or something along those lines.
Well it is the start of the game it makes sense that it is not hard. The many frogs battle was the hardest tho. If you want difficulty you could always replay it solo. But i do agree,a difficulty option would be nice. Current difficulty is perfect for normal difficulty setting. If people want to play harder or easier,then let them. To each their own.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Upping the difficulty of the non-combat gameplay will def be extremely annoying.

E.g. right now if you don't spend the initial skill point on Computers, even if you tag it, you have to delay a lot of content so you can get the needed 1->2.
Same with talking skills.

Parabalus

Arcane

Probably even worse, since talking skills also go up when you fail. And currently you often want to fail the last check so you can fight, thereby getting combat xp + loot.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Probably even worse, since talking skills also go up when you fail. And currently you often want to fail the last check so you can fight, thereby getting combat xp + loot.
Yeah it is not a good system when you fail you end up getting more shit all around. That said,the debate quests are pretty good,it does actually matter if you succeed or fail in those ones. But yeah when you fail some persuasion you get more speech xp then you get combat xp and then you get money and loot.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
But yeah when you fail some persuasion you get more speech xp then you get combat xp and then you get money and loot.
on other hand you got to survive lower initiative and potentially miss on receiving perk granting you extra initiative

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
But yeah when you fail some persuasion you get more speech xp then you get combat xp and then you get money and loot.
on other hand you got to survive lower initiative and potentially miss on receiving perk granting you extra initiative
Why? Don't know when you get perks and shit,i didn't get any in me gameplay. That said by the end i had 75+ initiative.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Pladio

Educated
Tagged doesn't really matter much with combat skill. 2 skill levels are in general less impactful than a feat. Coming from AoD, Iron Tower doesn't push numbers to that extent.

Yup, you're right. I was thinking of the wrong thing :D

Will do it again.

You make battles harder that way though. If you pick fights from the start you get an initiative bonus. Some fights also start you off in more difficult positions if you talk too much.

Parabalus

Arcane

Yup, you're right. I was thinking of the wrong thing :D

Will do it again.

You make battles harder that way though. If you pick fights from the start you get an initiative bonus. Some fights also start you off in more difficult positions if you talk too much.

Harder fights for bigger rewards is pretty standard, it's just done in a roundabout way though.

Currently it's very viable, might not be if the difficulty gets amped up.

There's really no reason NOT to do it unless you can't win the fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom