Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Technomancer

Liturgist
You're leaving a heavily wounded man defenseless in hostile and unknown territory
Sure. I healed him though and spend my own personal resources on his dying ass. That's a kindness he won't see from anyone around. Case in point, there are two groups nearby that want to kill and/or rob you. He is probably himself, a victim. Looks like his pistol didn't help much.

Parabalus

Arcane
Whether the latter is better role-playing is a matter of taste, but it is definitely streamlined and 'modernised'.
In that screenshot. You first have to pass a lockpick's check by interacting with the door. Then pass a "hidden" perception check in order to go through the vent. Next are a couple electronics check that you need to succeed in, in order to safely get to the console for Hargrave. Of course you'd never have known that there was a secret passage if you hadn't explored the area. Would you rather if there was a big glowing sign exclaiming, "SECRET PASSAGE HERE" - followed by a quick time event that fully exercises the player's "skill" instead?

What is a 'hidden' perception check if not a big glowing sign 'SECRET PASSAGE HERE'?

It's not like you wouldn't enter the room either way, there is no cost associated to it. It's mindless clicking through the map.

Sòren

Arcane
What is a 'hidden' perception check if not a big glowing sign 'SECRET PASSAGE HERE'?

It's not like you wouldn't enter the room either way, there is no cost associated to it. It's mindless clicking through the map.

mindless clicking through the map here, and great rpg stuff in fallout?

seriously, that example of the scorpion cave...time and time again. it's almost like there are very few other occasions like this in the game....oh WAIT, that's the way it is!

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
i just hope the developers don't get discouraged reading some of the comments here. They've really come far with the game thus far. It's all good work on their part.
You think Vault Dweller would be discouraged?
:nocountryforshitposters:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
i just hope the developers don't get discouraged reading some of the comments here. They've really come far with the game thus far. It's all good work on their part.

Nah. You're free to critique. It's just ridiculous inundating the developers with feedback that requires them to completely rework the system when they're already overworked getting the Habitat content prepared and finished so we can play it in its full glory.

Don't worry, I was "born" here in 2006, I know how to filter. Plus it's pretty simple: Players have different design preferences, plus the guys here are pretty clear about it. Every now and then we do get some people who think their personal preference is the "absolute design truth", but they are easy to ignore. We know the type of game we want to make.

Parabalus

Arcane
It's mindless clicking through the map.
Really? That's your counterpoint? You do the same thing in Fallout 1, "mindlessly", clicking around the map. Discovering different things. Interacting with them. It's the same premise here. Only difference is that you don't like it.

Why are you trying to convince me I don't like AoD and CS?

They are great games.

It's not mindless in games where you, the player, has to make the perception check, compared to here where the just your PC is checked. Both have merit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
oh I forgot this is the codex where we can't critique things, sorry
I have deleted all my posts that dared to question the brilliant design decisions, all hail vince, no one shall say anything negative about this game, etc., etc.,
continue on with your scheduled cirlcejerk

making rusty correct is the worst sin you can commit fellow codexians

even made me brofist that shit

look at what you have wrought

Nah. You're free to critique. It's just ridiculous inundating the developers with feedback that requires them to completely rework the system when they're already overworked getting the Habitat content prepared and finished so we can play it in its full glory.

“oh noes you’re burdening the poor developer with your evil opinion, shame on you monster”

you don’t need to whiteknight vd, guy has juked it out with the worst of them

man’s not gonna tilt over rusty’s inane crap after living through The Age of Andhaira

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
There wasn't any.
I was geniunely curious since he got assblasted so suddenly. I didn't mind his attemts at stirring shit at all, this thread can get so quite at times. I even miss a little the doxxer guy with his poking at the game and VD personally.

CSG even now is without a doubt one of my favorite RPGs ever and yet I find the idea of repeating this over and over and brofisting each other's prostates to oblivion who thinks similiarly quite boring indeed.

But my own skills at trolling sucks so what can you do. By the way, The Wall is praising the game only because it isn't pozzed.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's just I don't take Rusty very seriously at all. He's proven time and time again he's just a shitposter. The fact that he got assblasted and started to delete most of his posts isn't my fault.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Did tech sneaky quickie. I much preferred aod bodycount over combat reputation in here. Lets say Im playing sneak stabby. I can infiltrate 2 forts full of guards, kill everyone in there solo, yet im not recognised as murder hobo? Everyone knows I did it, no witnesses as of how it was done, why the difference then?
It quite hurts scenarios where Id like to bypass encounters by showing blood on my hands. Not sure if it was discussed earlier, now there is real scenario to do so after disabling generator

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Getting enough experience to get electronics 6 without messing up some biotech extracts for bonus sp is turning out to be pretty hard. I did miss one or two other sources of xp I guess. Is there way to mess up implants you've already extracted? :M

I guess I'll try to extract all remaining ones with an untagged biotecher so they get broken...

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Getting enough experience to get electronics 6 without messing up some biotech extracts for bonus sp is turning out to be pretty hard. I did miss one or two other sources of xp I guess. Is there way to mess up implants you've already extracted? :M

I guess I'll try to extract all remaining ones with an untagged biotecher so they get broken...
ive gotten to electronics 7 without doing implants. I did start with int 10 and all the learning feats though

Parabalus

Arcane
Almost as if just tagging a skill is not enough and you need to metagame optimise your route.

Tsubutai

Educated
Did tech sneaky quickie. I much preferred aod bodycount over combat reputation in here. Lets say Im playing sneak stabby. I can infiltrate 2 forts full of guards, kill everyone in there solo, yet im not recognised as murder hobo? Everyone knows I did it, no witnesses as of how it was done, why the difference then?
It quite hurts scenarios where Id like to bypass encounters by showing blood on my hands. Not sure if it was discussed earlier, now there is real scenario to do so after disabling generator
They're apparently planning to add a stealth-based solution to the encounter after disabling the generator at some point in the future, but the kinds of builds you're talking about get cock-blocked pretty hard later in the game to the point of being a bit of a dead end - there are several important quests in the Habitat that can only be resolved through speech or combat. It's useful to have a stealth-oriented character in a party with diverse capabilities but they don't really work well solo.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Almost as if just tagging a skill is not enough and you need to metagame optimise your route.
Going by the guide here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2462652161
Electronics xp I missed that's in this guide:
Electronics 2 - Initial conversation with Zeke in Power Plant, 20SP (can't make companions have this conversation? Otherwise I got this one)
Electronics 2 - Remove targeting module from broken turret during You Shall Not Pass (Braxton), 20SP (didn't do this quest yet)
Electronics 3 - Replace faulty module during You Shall Not Pass (Jonas), 20SP (didn't do this quest yet)
Electronics 3 - Discussion with Zeke after returning Override Module, 20SP (can't make companion do this dialogue, or I got it)
Electronics 4 - Fix the turret during You Shall Not Pass (Braxton), 20SP (didn't do this quest yet)
  • Electronics 2 - Conversation with Sharp Face in the Armory, 20SP (can't make companion have this convo, also I wanted to kill him)
  • Electronics 2 - Activate the decontamination panel in the Armory, first room with frogs, 20SP (killed the frogs, because I forgot / didn't realize I needed the electronics xp)
Electronics 2 - Examine frog pacifying machine during Eviction Notice, 20SP (had faythe so had to do nonlethal solution)
Electronics 4 - Use electronics to disable generator in Mission Control Level 4, 20SP (didn't kill hargrave yet)
Electronics 4 - Hidden door to skill training room in Mission Control Level 5, 20SP (??? I have no idea what hidden door is being meant. I unlocked both doors leading to this room)
Electronics 6 - Locked storage door behind turrets in Mission Control Level 5, 30SP (this is the one I lack skill level to open)

So by my count, 40 SP(?) missed because it's not the PC who tagged the skill, 20/40 SP missed because they require the "easy" mission in main quest finale of chapter 1 which I haven't done and probably won't do. 20 SP missed because I did combat instead, 20 SP because I recruited Faythe in the "wrong" order and 20 because I have yet to beat the hardest fight (or at least one of the hardest, but that's what I want locked treasure for).
So that's 140 sp "missing" from the total, not counting training items, feats, etc (I think I used training item to train computer instead on a different character).
I need 75 xp to level up electronics to 6.

I can't quite decide if I think this is reasonable or not. It seems like I could cobble it together if I beat hargrave, do the easy final mission and then wreck a few implants. This seems a bit strict to me, but otoh in the full game it will be easy to come back in chapter 2 and pass the electronics 6 check. It also seems entirely doable if I had optimized differently (like take training in electronics, and then compensate computers from the doctor? Otherwise I think I needed the computer training to hit 6)
[/Autism]

Parabalus

Arcane
but otoh in the full game it will be easy to come back in chapter 2 and pass the electronics 6 check. It also seems entirely doable if I had optimized differently (like take training in electronics, and then compensate computers from the doctor? Otherwise I think I needed the computer training to hit 6)

Doubtful that this will be possible, like Teron2 it will be removed and replaced with other content.

Tsubutai

Educated
If you're missing 75 SP, it sounds like you missed one of the two electronics + computers training tokens - there's one in Hydroponics and another in Mission Control during the first part of Hargrave's quest. It's certainly possible to reach electronics 6 on Faythe before starting the Pit's faction leadership questline, and also IIRC before the final confrontation with Hargrave. TBH though, fighting Hargrave is kind of a sucker's choice because he's apparently going to play a role in future Mission Control content if he stays alive, so I prefer to just resolve things peacefully with him. I think the "hidden" door to the Mission Control training room is the one blocked by the fungus that you have to clear after getting past the mindworms in the first part of Hargrave's quest.

edit: Oops, yeah, I see you did use one of those training tokens on another character. In that case... yeah, you're gonna have to come back to that Electronics 6 door after the Habitat. Because of those two training tokens, it's best to have Electronics and Computers tagged on the same character.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
but otoh in the full game it will be easy to come back in chapter 2 and pass the electronics 6 check. It also seems entirely doable if I had optimized differently (like take training in electronics, and then compensate computers from the doctor? Otherwise I think I needed the computer training to hit 6)

Doubtful that this will be possible, like Teron2 it will be removed and replaced with other content.
This check is not in the pit though, it's in mission control. But yeah, could be of course, I assume there will be some changes in all the maps. As I recall Teron2 was completely devoid of quests/fights, I don't think I ever felt a need to have it actually exist like that, might as well just have a had a splash screen describing it and not the map. I have gotten the impression that chapter 2 is going to be more developed this time around, as many characters in the pit say things like "come back in a few weeks and I might have another job for you".

must have missed one of the two electronics + computers training tokens - there's one in Hydroponics and another in Mission Control during the first part of Hargrave's quest
Pretty sure I got both of them. Both might have gone to my computers guy though. Arguably splitting electronics and computer guy tags was my biggest mistake, but the companions that aren't faythe don't have a lot of tags to play around with.
(in reality, my actual biggest mistake was tagging impersonate, but that was part of the challenge for this run: tag every noncombat skill)

. It's certainly possible to reach electronics 6 on Faythe before starting the Pit's faction leadership questline, and also IIRC before the final confrontation with Hargrave. TBH though, fighting Hargrave is kind of a sucker's choice because he's apparently going to play a role in future Mission Control content if he stays alive, so I prefer to just resolve things peacefully with him.
I don't have it on Faythe. That would be cheating, since she has +25% skill xp from her perk. I didn't know you even could resolve peacefully with hargrave, iirc he attacked me the first time I tried so then I reloaded to the first chance to ambush him (when he gives you the password).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom