Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Technomancer

Liturgist
I have problems with how the dialogue is portrayed @Vault Dweller . During the early segments of the game, the MC asks questions like if he was a fresh arrival on the ship, not a born and bred denizen who lived his entire life (until now) in the pit doing odd jobs here and there.
VD already agreed to change it. I promised to send him a list with all of the instances and suggestions with more organic phrases.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Regarding subjects of the Ship (Factory, Brotherhood etc.), I wonder if the questions should not be done away with entirely.
Technically speaking, a cargo rat whose lived his entire life within the Pit probably won't care about the greater factions except for the one that invaded the Pit and failed. Vice versa for the locations, such as: Factory, Habitat, et cetera. I think it's perfectly fine to have the player character ask dumb questions about those places since he probably never set foot outside the Pit.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Technically speaking, a cargo rat whose lived his entire life within the Pit probably won't care about the greater factions except for the one that invaded the Pit and failed. Vice versa for the locations, such as: Factory, Habitat, et cetera. I think it's perfectly fine to have the player character ask dumb questions about those places since he probably never set foot outside the Pit.
I've never been to Brazil (or the Moon, to use a more sane example), but I don't think it would be normal to ask what it is. At the very least, it should be "What can you tell me about the Factory?" instead of "What's the Factory?". And then, instead of the completely expositional "It's the industrial zone bla bla...", it could be "That place is crawling with raiders. Old industrial equipment makes for good salvage, that attracts crews and they, in turn, draw bandits." - and in a more subtle, natural way, player is conveyed some important information: Factory is dangerous, there used to be industrial machines there, some people work salvage, others work the first ones.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Where's Jed in the case when the player doesn't have enough party slots but wants him to join later? He said that the offer still stands and now he's holed up who-knows-where.

Edit: He's a Whiskey Jack's.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Yeah. All of the companions will be at Whiskey Jack when dismissed, not just Jed. Though. When you leave for Factory and Habitat. The party members are stuck with you.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Can you recruit the mutant you meet in mission control or he is not yet implemented?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Camera dragging using the middle mouse button absolutely shouldn't have any smoothing applied to it.

---

Performance is abysmal for an "isometric" RPG (even though it uses perspective). My RTX 3070 has 65-70 FPS in The Pit on large zoom-out levels, and 50-55 FPS with max FOV and max unzoom.

If only it was real orthographic projection you could just pre-render static geometry and lights into a memory buffer. Is the gameplay even improved by the presence of parallax?

---

Combat tooltip (the one with CTH) needs to have UI scaling applied. The exact value can be retrieved using a Windows API. Displays above 1080p have higher pixel densities and use text scaling between 150-200%.

---

Put Aimed Burst onto '3' and not a '2'. Rifles already have all kinds of aimed attacks on '2' so cycling between them just to find the burst attack takes time each turn.

---

Even after turning motion blur to the minimum, it still exists. Similarly, what happens by turning down anti-aliasing? Is it using a low-quality FXAA or not using any at all?

---

Playing with permanent outlines always on,
  1. unexplored parts of the level have their things visible through the ceilings
  2. in some cases the outlines are so convoluted that they merge into one big turquoise blob
  3. some parts of the level that are technically outlines aren't useful to highlight with the same brightness or at all: empty containers and doors that are opened and remain open forever since. why not make regular common doors non-interactible after they're opened?
---

Edit: deleted few paragraphs about level legibility issues. Turning up brightness solves this without introducing washed-out colors or other artifacts.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
After securing Jackson's Riflemen's pact with Jonas and pledging the machine to one of the factions, can you leave the Habitat and either go back to the Pit or end the game by trying to go to ECLSS?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
No. You can not. That content isn't implemented yet. For now you're finished with the content. Have you tried out all the new weapons you can purchase from the different traders?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
The disposition system is a great improvement over AOD. There was a Persuasion[5] check on Moses forming an alliance with the Pit. The main character didn't tag any dialogue skills. There were two dialogue options for convincing him (Jonas being the Pit's leader, and some other guy having been taken care of). Apparently cold, hard facts were enough no matter how clumsily said by the PC.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If do all the black hand fights in the factory, will I be able to loot these fuckers before I get sent to the habitat?

No you are send to the Habitat after the second fight with Black hand ends, you can loot the goodies from the big part of factory after the first fight though and the one from Denver Gang if you decide to whack them so in my opinion its better to not pay the price in bullets and med-kids and just do the quest diplomatic way.

I noticed the bug I promised the chief of Greenery to speak with Brothers Keepers about alliance but had not chance to mention it instead got option to suggest finding some generic allies.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I noticed the bug I promised the chief of Greenery to speak with Brothers Keepers about alliance but had not chance to mention it instead got option to suggest finding some generic allies.
You need to open another way into the Habitat first (which will put the Keepers or whoever runs the toll road out of business). That's chapter 3's content.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You need to open another way into the Habitat first (which will put the Keepers or whoever runs the toll road out of business). That's chapter 3's content.

Thank you Comrade Commissar for clarification how long are we before the next update? Also would love to have way to upgrade my favorite gun in the game the Redeemer revolver, Will be there more of factions themed unique weapons?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Why you would put them out of business? They are protecting people against bandits, looks like good guys to me.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Because if people have an alternative path to Habitat which is safer and without paying to a third party - this is the biggest one. Why would they go to the other path that forces them to pay?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Because if people have an alternative path to Habitat which is safer and without paying to a third party - this is the biggest one. Why would they go to the other path that forces them to pay?

Well, they are fighting bandits. What prevents bandits to move to another path to Habitat?

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Right, but, how would that put the Keepers out of business. That's the ramifications here.
We're talking about pacifying the Yellow and Red zones of the Hydroponics - something that the Player will have the ability to help Grangers to do. That would put them in control of the safest route to the Habitat, one through which both the algae they produce and the scavenged findings from the Mission Control could find their way to prospective buyers. As such, they would invalidate the Keepers' business model of charging obscene fees for safe transit through the Factory and that, in turn, could push them to violence against Grangers - problem which the Player can suggest to circumvent by proposing an alliance between the two.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've played the game for a few hours and here are my thoughts so far.

Quite a decent and intriguing RPG.

While for the time being it's unfinished and still requires work, the mechanics and the first parts of the game are already available and enjoyable. The setting is absorbing, writing is decent and quests are interesting. Combat is gratifying as well. In addition I'd like to praise the off-beat environment and eccentric surroundings.

I can't really criticize the game beside perhaps two drawbacks which are the camera - gets obstructed by buildings too often, and music - which is just average. Assuming the rest of the game will be as fleshed out as currently available locations (up to Habitat), then this will be a neat game worth purchasing.

To compare other games, I didn't like their first game Age of Decadence much, I only considered the first location alright but the game overall disappointed me, and I fairly enjoyed Dungeon Rats for the combat which introduced party members and entertaining challenges. CP has similar combat, and also is overall much improved in every other important regard.

I don't want to recommend a game in alpha/beta version as it's not yet finished, but I will most likely recommend Colony Ship once released.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
...I didn't like their first game Age of Decadence much, I only considered the first location alright but the game overall disappointed me...

:updatedmytxt:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom