Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
I found that pretty useful in a party, usually makes enemies beeline for the character wearing it.
Yeah: and destroy it in one turn, and then the person wearing it has no DR and no gadget.

I mostly give it to Evans - position him in the open, use 20 AP to attack, then everyone else attacks him that turn, leaving rest of the party unscathed - then move him to cover, nobody targets him anymore.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How much Sneak is needed to get the eye? Sneak 5 isn't enough to get past the cameras. Is the cloaking field gadget necessary?
You can do it with Sneak 4 and the cloak:

I think this needs a very upgraded cloak. I couldn't do it with sneak 5, ghost and just 4 turn duration on the cloak, the cameras would spot me every time.

EDIT:
Also holy shit this robot fight 18 in every armor class, 120 hp and ridonk damage output.

Is there a bug with shields in the current version? The robots attacks seem to ignore jeds shield, and when I instead went to take out brotherhood guys it seems my attacks went through the npc's shields. Only the chest based shield seems to work.

I assume that if I go with cobra I can't return to this area.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
What's the minimum sneak to get through the Black Hand fort optimally?

With the sneak feats + cloak it was easy to kill everyone, but wasting less SP on sneak for trash mob loot seems better.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

With the sneak feats + cloak it was easy to kill everyone, but wasting less SP on sneak for trash mob loot seems better.
there are 2 enemies facing each other that would prohibit you from stabbing everyone. Actual sneak value for just passing by should be fairly low provided you got lockpicking and computers

Sòren

Arcane
How much Sneak is needed to get the eye? Sneak 5 isn't enough to get past the cameras. Is the cloaking field gadget necessary?

I think this needs a very upgraded cloak. I couldn't do it with sneak 5, ghost and just 4 turn duration on the cloak, the cameras would spot me every time.

did it with sneak 2 and dex 8. really not that hard.

the only thing impossible with those stats is to do it without cloaking field. and i tried hard to.

depends on what u want to do and how u skill ur PC/anyone else. sneak 2, computer 6 and cloaking field, again, is enough to get access to the most private area there. u can also kill all the henchman on the level u start on.

btw. what's behind the door with lockpick 6 on level 3?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

the only thing impossible with those stats is to do it without cloaking field. and i tried hard to.
Maybe I'm just really bad then? I can't find any opportunity to advance past the first camera without the cloaking field, and then the stealth bonus degrades too much by the time I reach the row where the eye is located, making for like 3 rows of permared tiles, until eventually the camera turns fully and I got spotted standing under the third camera (the only "safe" tile I can reach).

I think sneak skill doesn't help that much in this quest, since the cameras appear to be pass/fail, instead of slowly gathering awareness like biologicals.

Sòren

Arcane

Maybe I'm just really bad then? I can't find any opportunity to advance past the first camera without the cloaking field, and then the stealth bonus degrades too much by the time I reach the row where the eye is located, making for like 3 rows of permared tiles, until eventually the camera turns fully and I got spotted standing under the third camera (the only "safe" tile I can reach).

I think sneak skill doesn't help that much in this quest, since the cameras appear to be pass/fail, instead of slowly gathering awareness like biologicals.

u can pass the first line of cameras without cloaking by going straight to the right (or left, doesn't matter, it's symmetric), waiting in the corner until the camera in the second row turns to the other side than the one directly in front of u (those work assymetric), go as far along the wall as u can and then move towards the centre of the map, so between the first and second row of sarphogus. there is an area there where the cameras cannot see u. directly in the centre of the map.

after that u have to activate ur cloaking field to get any further. i had to do that at least.

Tsubutai

Educated

That stealth section has been updated at least twice since I posted that video to make it harder.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That stealth section has been updated at least twice since I posted that video to make it harder.
Now I can't make it even with [Sneak 5] and a cloaking field with Mk1 components and a Mk2 battery.

Sòren

Arcane
yeah, just tried again. still works if u walk along the wall with the right timing and cloaking field. u just can't go into the centre anymore.

maybe i will make a vid or something, but it's still not that complicated. u just have to wait for the right moment in the corner until the cameras in the first 2 rows move in different directions.

edit: did it again without even paying attention to the cameras. what the hell are u people doing that it doesn't work for u? with cloaking field and batttery lvl 2 it's almost impossible to fail.

did they change something about getting out? that would be the hard thing to do.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
edit: did it again without even paying attention to the cameras. what the hell are u people doing that it doesn't work for u? with cloaking field and batttery lvl 2 it's almost impossible to fail.

did they change something about getting out? that would be the hard thing to do.
It doesn't matter if you get caught after getting the eye.
You should make a video or a screenshot guide or something. For me almost all tiles in the map are red after one turn of stealth field being active, and I'd need 3 to reach the goal.

Sòren

Arcane
Unbenannta.png

Unbenanntb.png

Unbenanntaaa.png

Unbenanntaaaaa.png

used to work like that, but i got the most recent update only now (gog). so don't know if it still works.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Are there going to be more routes for opening MC without stealthing for the eye? How about [Lockpick 6], allying with the Church, impersonating a guard, paying a large bribe or blasting through multiple waves of Church militants?

If not, it's certainly an unusual design decision. My build with no speech skills presently can avoid losing content, except for some Church quests. Beating Ol' Bub is going to be a large part of a competition as to who's the biggest murderous sociopath and you want to take it away from a large proportion of players.

Tsubutai

Educated
I don't know whether additional routes are planned, but as it stands a single feat - Prowler - is enough to at least reach the eye, so there will always be the option to just postpone the heist until you level up and can take it. I guess it's not that different to places like the Abyss in AoD that you couldn't reach or navigate without satisfying some rather specific build requirements.

Parabalus

Arcane
Are there going to be more routes for opening MC without stealthing for the eye? How about [Lockpick 6], allying with the Church, impersonating a guard, paying a large bribe or blasting through multiple waves of Church militants?

If not, it's certainly an unusual design decision. My build with no speech skills presently can avoid losing content, except for some Church quests. Beating Ol' Bub is going to be a large part of a competition as to who's the biggest murderous sociopath and you want to take it away from a large proportion of players.

There has to be some good content gated behind stealth, otherwise what's the point?

Before this update it was just the Black Hand fort.

Sòren

Arcane
I don't know whether additional routes are planned, but as it stands a single feat - Prowler - is enough to at least reach the eye, so there will always be the option to just postpone the heist until you level up and can take it. I guess it's not that different to places like the Abyss in AoD that you couldn't reach or navigate without satisfying some rather specific build requirements.

i thought it was tunnel runner that would make the difference.

how do yellow tiles change anything about the cameras?

Tsubutai

Educated

how do yellow tiles change anything about the cameras?
It removes some red tiles that would otherwise block paths from one green tile to another. Tunnel runner might work too, but I don't have a character that can quickly test it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Yeah about this stealth eye.
I can't do it with sneak 6+ghost* and a 1/1/1** cloaking device. I am not going to say it is impossible, but it sure seems like there's no clear path. With sneak 6+prowler I think it might be doable without the cloaking device, since with those high levels you can sit under any camera with impunity, and some of the tiles directly to the side of the camera are yellow, which lets you manoeuvre under the camera while it is perpendicular to the wall. I don't have the patience to try and work it out, and realistically everyone will have a stealth field anyway. Pretty sure it's also possible with sneak6+runner, since then you can get infinite value from your cloaking device, but I haven't tested.

It also feels like there's insufficient feedback, since the cameras seem entirely binary, either they see you or they don't, with no different states like normal enemies. Is there even a functional difference between yellow, green and safe tiles?

As another part of stealth feedback, I'm not a huge fan of the fact that enemies can be takedownable or no depending solely on if they are facing diagonally or not (by putting their back to a diagonal tile, an enemy can effectively block being stabbed from their only blindspot, as all adjacent tiles will now have vision.

What does the datajack with a "hardware encryption key" that you find in one of the tombs do? It doesn't show up in inventory.

*Ghost probably doesn't help at all.
** could be a 1/1/2 cloaking device, but the cloaking device loses effectiveness so rapdily each turn I don't think it would matter to have it active for one more turn.

Last edited:

Sòren

Arcane
got the eye with sneak 2, cloaking field 1/1/2 and prowler. u can also loot one of the two other sarcophogus under such prerequisites.

tunnel runner is probably not effective for those stats however.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
got the eye with sneak 2, cloaking field 1/1/2 and prowler. u can also loot one of the two other sarcophogus under such prerequisites.

tunnel runner is probably not effective for those stats however.
I guess prowler is key as tsubutai said.

Also, anyone have some tips for the robot? EMP nades just seem to reduce its ap by 5, it ignores flash/gas/smoke, and it has obscene armor and damage output. And a disruptor grenade for good measure. I guess maybe emp nade per turn + shotgun stagger might reduce the dps enough that I can eventually take it down? That's hella costly in resources though.

Tsubutai

Educated
Yeah about this stealth eye.
I can't do it with sneak 6+ghost* and a 1/1/1** cloaking device. I am not going to say it is impossible, but it sure seems like there's no clear path. With sneak 6+prowler I think it might be doable without the cloaking device, since with those high levels you can sit under any camera with impunity, and some of the tiles directly to the side of the camera are yellow, which lets you manoeuvre under the camera while it is perpendicular to the wall. I don't have the patience to try and work it out, and realistically everyone will have a stealth field anyway. Pretty sure it's also possible with sneak6+runner, since then you can get infinite value from your cloaking device, but I haven't tested.

It also feels like there's insufficient feedback, since the cameras seem entirely binary, either they see you or they don't, with no different states like normal enemies. Is there even a functional difference between yellow, green and safe tiles?

As another part of stealth feedback, I'm not a huge fan of the fact that enemies can be takedownable or no depending solely on if they are facing diagonally or not (by putting their back to a diagonal tile, an enemy can effectively block being stabbed from their only blindspot, as all adjacent tiles will now have vision.

What does the datajack with a "hardware encryption key" that you find in one of the tombs do? It doesn't show up in inventory.

*Ghost probably doesn't help at all.
** could be a 1/1/2 cloaking device, but the cloaking device loses effectiveness so rapdily each turn I don't think it would matter to have it active for one more turn.
For the cameras, the only difference between yellow and green tiles is that you get caught if you end your turn on a yellow tile. The datajack thingy does show up in the inventory, but it's easy to overlook because it only takes up one square. It's an upgrade for the Intelligence implant that gives 10% extra XP and will be needed to access the bridge later in the game. Ghost is useful for looting all three sarcophagi without alerting the guards but no use at all for getting past the cameras since they don't respond to noise. Prowler is definitely the MVP feat for that section since it lets you get past the cameras without using the cloak at all:

As for the robot, spamming pulse grenades is certainly one way to go - you can get six if you hoard them, and each one does 16 damage to it, so if you start with a high initiative character throwing all of them you're about 90% of the way to killing it. Otherwise, there's a few ways of doing it. For a full party, the easiest way imo is to spread your guys out so the robot can only panic one with its grenade, get your squishiest character into cover by climbing the ladder, and focus down the turrets first since they hurt a lot. High evasion solo characters can ignore the turrets more or less and should just focus on the robot instead.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
As for the robot, spamming pulse grenades is certainly one way to go - you can get six if you hoard them, and each one does 16 damage to it, so if you start with a high initiative character throwing all of them you're about 90% of the way to killing it.
It hurts my brain to even think of using up all the grenades. What if I need them next patch?

My current strat is to stasis the robot before it has a chance to act, but I can't kill both turrets before robot gets unstasis'd, and that point it's a pretty quick slide downhill as one party member is sure to get focused or high roll'd and die. Maybe I just need to stasis a turret as well, and then try to alpha strike the robot as soon as it comes out of stasis. Potentially while just dumping my evasion, as the robot seems to have a 100% hit chance regardless and an extra 5 DR might be superior to some ap/evasion loss.

Edit: Managed to do it in the end with 3 emps, 2 stasis and more aggro/stims than I want to count.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom