Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ended up buying this on early access without reading this thread or trying a demo. I don't intend to play the EA builds as I'm not a fan of unfinished products and glorified demos. How poor was my purchasing decision? Is this game any good? I'll be honest, I made a gamble here as I was not a fan of Age of Decadence (I don't like how it handles the story sections with teleporting you around all the time and basically delivering the content in a VN style fashion).
Have you tried combat approach in AoD? If you did and liked it then you'll like it in this game, too. Otherwise, I wouldn't be sure although there're some improvements regarding story approach.

Either way, you did the right thing by buying this - among very, very few devs these ones deserve all the support we, RPG-enthusiasts can give.
The combat in AoD is your run-of-the-mill TB style affair, with difficulty cranked up. I am fine with that, but I would like things like extensive C&C, multiple approaches to quests, wildly different classes and TnA. I doubt this game will feature TnA as zoomers are sex-negative, but I know AoD had most of the other aspects covered.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
AoD skill system was better, just let me dump points on what I want.
Eh. Colony Ship's system has grown on me. I like it. You put tags on the skills you want to hyper focus on. Do the content to level up those preferred skills and you're able to naturally get good at them. It takes a bit, but the system is at its best when you're a combat build.

Üstad

Arcane
AoD skill system was better, just let me dump points on what I want.
Eh. Colony Ship's system has grown on me. I like it. You put tags on the skills you want to hyper focus on. Do the content to level up those preferred skills and you're able to naturally get good at them. It takes a bit, but the system is at its best when you're a combat build.
I just don't like tagging system and I think it has some kind of popularity only thanks to the fallout series even though tagging was never one of the things defined the series in a positive way. Giving points is easier and flexible, much easier to plan ahead or fix what's wrong with your character. The gameplay would be golden if only they went with older skill system that used on AoD.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
While I agree in principle AoD system was better in terms of building character in a vacuum, in practice combined with the gameplay flow I just walked around with 150+ points floating to test the waters. I think tag system has potential but it is true it is running off a bit cargo cult from Fallout, just need to emphasize its flow more in actual gameplay which probably will work better with more acts.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
just need to emphasize its flow more in actual gameplay which probably will work better with more acts.
Could you go into detail by what you mean by this?

That builds should come together and have more leeway in later levels, with more feats and more checks with possibly greater distribution of difficulty. Hopefully also the game won't have linear skill point scaling by act so there can still be instances for partial or full success for some of the lower level skills. Essentially having flow late game for trailing skills just by volume and scope.

1ttffsse

Literate
being able to bank skillpoints is degenerate gameplay behavior

Realistically it should be after reaching some base proficiency in skills you need to seek out trainers to further level up skills....but oh boy would that piss off the crowd who wants level up=oh yeah I am stronger now.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Some pictures of upcoming changes that devs posted in discord:
ZOpVabs.png

Y3WVNwg.png

dHvDSHg.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Color coded nades will be real nice, it's annoying having to mouseover them now to see what is what. The one on the flashbang is perhaps a touch too subtle.

Any chance of getting some better inventory filtering/autosort? It would be nice if it could sort all the bad/obsolete items consistently at the top/bottom for easy selling.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Any chance of getting some better inventory filtering/autosort? It would be nice if it could sort all the bad/obsolete items consistently at the top/bottom for easy selling.

Yes, we are working on improving that.
Just a simple "tag as junk" in inventory and a "sale all junk" button at merchants would be a big QoL improvement.
Maybe. But I frequently want to keep X copies of a certain item, say a gas mask, in case I need to switch to helmet+goggle+mask instead of mandalorian helmet. And I might want to keep 1 copy of each of the light armor subtypes, one for melee heavy encounters and one for ballistics.

Tag as junk would not be bad though, very useful for weapons as long as it persists after selling.

Takamori

Learned
Some pictures of upcoming changes that devs posted in discord:
ZOpVabs.png

Y3WVNwg.png

dHvDSHg.png
Thats pretty bad ass to reflect the item quality and condition. Hate when games do Mk1, 2 and whatever and its just the same item. The nades having their effect as graffiti is pretty neat solution for UI also keeping maintaining immersion, because whoever is stocking then wanna know what the fuck they do.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I wanna see the death animations they plan to implement, hope they are gory specially with those weapons :terminate:
Fallout had AMAZING 2d animations for every form of gruesome death available in the game and that's a significant part of what made the game memorable. AoD/DR also had very good animations, especially with spears:

Underrail's "tripping on a banana peel" default animation was very unsatisfying. IMO having a ton of death animations is a very worthwhile investment of the dev's resources.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom