Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LostHisMarbles

Learned
Steam refund and steam user ratings are probably the best thing to happens to video game consumers in the last two decades.

Two sides to everything, surely that's simple enough a concept even for Codex standards? :)
That you're a consoomer in this need not necessarily remove your ability to see it a bit more objectively; be it or be it not to your liking/approval.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Steam refund and steam user ratings are probably the best thing to happens to video game consumers in the last two decades.

Two sides to everything, surely that's simple enough a concept even for Codex standards? :)
That you're a consoomer in this need not necessarily remove your ability to see it a bit more objectively; be it or be it not to your liking/approval.
Nope, refund is also good for devs. If your game is good people won't refund it, and if it's bad you'll go out of business and leave more oxygen for the good stuff. Plus it might make people less wary of trying stuff outside their comfort zone, because they can always refund it so easier to reach new audiences.

I guess it's bad for bad devs and scam artists but well... that's like saying there's two sides to police because police are bad for criminals.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I think @Vault Dweller needs to try to aggressively upsell Colony Ship to Age of Decadence owners. That's your surest bet - people who you know have already paid money for that sort of game. Find a way to remind them you exist.

The usual banner in the main menu that many games do would be something which would be relatively easy to implement. Doing a The World of Iron Tower Studios Bundle with all three games. But I doubt these would increase the sales by more than 1-2% to be realistic. I'm certainly part of the I wait until the Early Access is over crowd. tbf, in 2022 there's nothing exciting about playing an Early Access title and I think it works best for Simulation and Roguelike games. Looking forward to play Colony Ship when it's finished!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think @Vault Dweller needs to try to aggressively upsell Colony Ship to Age of Decadence owners. That's your surest bet - people who you know have already paid money for that sort of game. Find a way to remind them you exist.

The usual banner in the main menu that many games do would be something which would be relatively easy to implement. Doing a The World of Iron Tower Studios Bundle with all three games. But I doubt these would increase the sales by more than 1-2% to be realistic. I'm certainly part of the I wait until the Early Access is over crowd. tbf, in 2022 there's nothing exciting about playing an Early Access title and I think it works best for Simulation and Roguelike games. Looking forward to play Colony Ship when it's finished!
I'm not talking about Early Access.

Vault Dweller 15% discount coupon for Colony Ship to all Age of Decadence owners on launch day. They get a Steam inventory pop-up telling them the game exists.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
or go after movies, not games.
Interstellar colony ship. Or something

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You missed my point. Yes, Atom did very well, much better than AoD, but it's a modest hit. Battle Brothers has 16k reviews and Wartales already has 7.3k reviews while still in Early Access. There's nothing to suggest that Encased, backed by a big publisher eager to show what the new RPG division can do, couldn't hit the same numbers. THAT is what marketing is supposed to be about after all, making sure that everyone interested in such RPGs would know about it. Yet they failed despite presumably their best effort.

You're right about publishers, I don't think a typical low effort publisher would do you any good.
A good one could or you could do it yourself if you dedicate someone to marketing at some point.

In my opinion, players are ready for hardcore RPG, hardcore tacticools and roguelikes are already selling well.
Still, so far, most players like hardcore games but with simple enough mechanics or at least they think they do.

They have to be educated, hardcore RPG with great mechanisms is an acquired taste.
I think your marketing should reflect that, hardcore RPG with deep mechanisms, simple to play, hard to master. Also, a well made optional tutorial would probably help a lot, I know I hate tutorials but people seems to respond well to games with one.

deama

Prophet
Any ETA on the planned release date? Or at least how far the game is done % wise?

Alphons

Cipher
Any ETA on the planned release date? Or at least how far the game is done % wise?

Currently you have the entire Chapter 1 and huge chunk of Chapter 2.

From Steam page:
“We're looking at July 2023 right now. Here's what's left to do:

End of Jan - Heart (the mutant town)
End of Mar - Hydroponics (the Yellow and Red Zones), Mission Control (the lower levels)
End of May - The Armory (level 3), Bridge and the end of chapter 3
End of Jul - Endgame (chapter 4)”

deama

Prophet

Currently you have the entire Chapter 1 and huge chunk of Chapter 2.

From Steam page:
“We're looking at July 2023 right now. Here's what's left to do:

End of Jan - Heart (the mutant town)
End of Mar - Hydroponics (the Yellow and Red Zones), Mission Control (the lower levels)
End of May - The Armory (level 3), Bridge and the end of chapter 3
End of Jul - Endgame (chapter 4)”
Oh nice, sooner than I thought.
I was expecting end of 2023.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Tried a little bit of the new chapter 3 content on the regular release (it seems very unfinished, so I'm going to wait some more).
Jonas is kind of an ass huh? No matter who you pick for new enforcer, he goes with the other one.

As for system update: the new perception capstone seems great, and +1 follower for a perk point seems strong as well. Haven't done any combat so I can't comment on that.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Is there meant to be any content once you kill one of the competitors for the position of Jonas' second in command? No new quest starts after returning to Jonas and the demo doesn't end either.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Vault Dweller Have you considered a more catchy name?
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7610.0.html

fallout_homage.png

I was among those who voted for current generic name, there were worse alternatives :?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom