Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Tithe? Money is but a small price for your immortal soul.
Tithe collected from whom exactly? Their own people? They have fewer of those than the Protectors or the Brotherhood, who are very well capable of collecting their own taxes. Tithes from members of other factions? "Conspiring with the enemy"/"Undermining social cohesion" - other factions would never allow it.
Could just be that they are making less money than the other two factions, but they haven't been locked in a war for a century, so they have reserves to spare.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there way to side with Braxton not Mercy and then ally yourself with church? I liked their faction best so far their church gives you quest to actually help people for a change even if their leader is kind of prick (But my MC is not exactly saint so...).

Protectors are bunch of fascists and Brotherhood are even worse claiming to be for liberty but in fact running nice totalitarian state themselves with social credit, ranks, propaganda and privilege citizens so they are in fact even worse.

Also found a bug if you kill the Detroit gang but then take ''negotiate'' route with Blackhands you are told to be given Brother Keepers badge but in reality you don't get it.

Is the Church path finished for now? I told negro Pope that his plans is to keep both faction in war but he did not gave me any quests to push Protectors and Brotherhood onto war.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there way to side with Braxton not Mercy and then ally yourself with church?
I think if you give the church the device, you're allied with them regardless of the state of the Pit.

Well game is far from being polished or even finished past the first act so I think I will wait for a bit with playing to not get burned like with Trutograd.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
running nice totalitarian state themselves with social credit, ranks, propaganda and privilege citizens
That's called society.

Is the Church path finished for now? I told negro Pope that his plans is to keep both faction in war but he did not gave me any quests to push Protectors and Brotherhood onto war.
You need to follow up on the spy in the Brotherhood or Protectors questline and you will get an opportunity to take the side of the Church.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Well I figured out this myself but it should be better telegraphed, I have feeling that Mercy path was added last and is least flashed, we don't even meet her before and are expected to choose her over Braxton after very quick and brief conversation, to the contrary Jonas gave you logical arguments to change sides.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well I figured out this myself but it should be better telegraphed, I have feeling that Mercy path was added last and is least flashed, we don't even meet her before and are expected to choose her over Braxton after very quick and brief conversation, to the contrary Jonas gave you logical arguments to change sides.
You do meet her before; in fact you're the one who convinced her to switch sides (that's why she doesn't betray Jonas) in the first place. Why choose her over Braxton? Because they clearly want very different things? Because for Braxton you're a nobody and for Mercy you're a trusted lieutenant who helped her take her kingdom?

Technomancer

Liturgist
Because for Braxton you're a nobody and for Mercy you're a trusted lieutenant who helped her take her kingdom?

Kinda ungrateful, Braxton wouldn't do shit without our help. Maybe kill Samuel. But no way in hell he would found someone capable enough to convince Mercy to join him or kill the whole gang if she refused. As well as successfully spearhead storming of entrenched Jonas place.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'm sure you've met people like him before. For him you're a cog in his machine and he'd have no trouble convincing himself he would have done it without you just as easily. But if you want (for the Pit) what Braxton wants, he's the man to side with. Just don't expect any gratitude.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Just don't expect any gratitude.

At least he handles the bill for factory passage so that's something. 10k is still a sum even for a backwater faction leader. And I never start the quest without raising my swise first. Have to pay up something upfront, not gonna do it for free and expect gratitude after. Not how it works. Not in IRL, not in your games.

Technomancer

Liturgist
He tells them he'll pay, he didn't actually pay them yet as one of the Keepers tell you.

Yeah, I figured that part. Anyway, that's his problem to deal with.

And you already said you will consider adding more rewards from factions, so it's not hopeless.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
You do meet her before; in fact you're the one who convinced her to switch sides (that's why she doesn't betray Jonas) in the first place.
I would have liked it if you were able to meet her before. I know 99% of players will probably miss this, as they'll go get Evans then start the Jonas v Braxton conflict; but what if you can go to her fort before initiating that quest chain. Have one of her guards tell you they're in need of someone whose willing to run a job for Mercy. Really the guard is supposed to do this job, however, he's too lazy and sees the player character as an opportunity to offload the job on.

As for the task. Could be something very simple. Like go to x person to get y item for Mercy - such as getting Disruptor from Cole to give to Mercy. Then once you accomplish this task. You deliver the item to Mercy. Talk to her. Then leave. From here you fill us on Mercy. Who she is. Why she should take lead of the Pit. Maybe fill in some lore about her being disgruntled with the Regulators and Jonas, while thinking she can do a better job.

Commissar Draco

Patron
You get reputation perk for joining regulators + badge* (useful one time in Armory so far) It would be nice to get something from Jonas and Marcy too like good gun from Moe, discounted training or some church reputation bonus equating better prices believers shops or something I don't want to whine here as Act One is far better and more fleshed than I remember it playing two years ago.

More faction rewards would be nice though.

* Got badge thanks to Faith stealing it though I am not sure if perk does something.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Vault Dweller are people taking prowler and tunnel runner sneaking feats?
Ghost seems mandatory for sneaky character.
Prowler I dont really see a difference, certainly didnt allow me to execute someone I couldnt without it in my tests. And I executed everyone I could. For some executions you still need cloaking device.
Tunnel runner I always felt uneasy about. Movement cost reduction is great, but noise hit hurts. Without this feat I never had any issue to move around and assassinate all the targets. As such generating more noise is worse as it raises required CS and potentially alerts other targets. Perhaps there is some rare case where you could assassinate 2 targets standing close by, under cloaking device? 10AP for assassinations, with 10dex leaves you with 8 tiles for movement. Or more if you grab charger feat. Didnt feel the need though and again I am concerned about noise.

btw CS appear to be improved. My solo sneakster ended up with 7 after tagging, 10int and learning feats. Had 7 in all tagged feats when entering habitat: CS, computers, electronics, lockpick and sneak.
Stealing never gets to 4 even after using every opportunity and having all learning feats, biotech does though(barely) but only after shuttles.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is with a heavy heart I bring you news of a BUG.

I defeated Jonas and his goons per Braxton, and then Mercy asked me to betray Braxton. Obviously I shot her in the face, but after combat the game trapped me. I believe that when you open the doors and leave Jonas' bar after combat, you are supposed to be transported to the bar. However, nothing happened, and all the exits from the combat area are blocked with barricades. So I'm trapped and nothing triggers.

If I side with Mercy the game does work, though. I don't want to side with her though. Please let me know if there's some code I can type in or some other quick fix. It basically ends the play through for me.

Tsubutai

Educated

I defeated Jonas and his goons per Braxton, and then Mercy asked me to betray Braxton. Obviously I shot her in the face, but after combat the game trapped me. I believe that when you open the doors and leave Jonas' bar after combat, you are supposed to be transported to the bar. However, nothing happened, and all the exits from the combat area are blocked with barricades. So I'm trapped and nothing triggers.

If I side with Mercy the game does work, though. I don't want to side with her though. Please let me know if there's some code I can type in or some other quick fix. It basically ends the play through for me.
The area exit after siding with Braxton is in a weird place over the 'bridge': https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2823911453

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The area exit after siding with Braxton is in a weird place over the 'bridge': https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2823911453

Thank you, problem solved. I hope they fix that, and have it automatically return you to Braxton when you open the door to exit.

If you help Mercy and kill Braxton, that is what happens - once you open the door you get teleported. I helped her at first, then found out she was involved in the church and decided to do it the other way round. When it didn't auto-teleport me, and I didn't see any obvious way out after walking around a bit, I gave up.

EDIT: I do still have a legitimate bug report. After you kill Mercy and report to Braxton, if you go to Mercy's fort the guard still blocks the door and says "Is Mercy expecting you?"

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Colony Ship is on a sale for 20%. Read all about it here:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/648410/view/5939699552872963531
Now that the second chapter of the game is completed, the price will be increased to $29.99 after the summer sale is over. It’s the first price increase out of 3 planned:

Early Access launch (3 locations) - $24.99 ($19.99 on sale right now)
Chapter 2 completed (7 locations) - $29.99
Chapter 3 completed (all 12 locations) - $34.99
Chapter 4 (the endgame), full release - $39.99

Since Colony Ship is now on sale with 20% off, the effective discount (after the price increase) is $10 or its regional equivalent. Now, here’s the
million
twenty-dollar question:

Should You Buy Colony Ship?

If you played our first game (The Age of Decadence) and liked it, you can buy Colony Ship with confidence:
  • well-crafted setting that's more than an excuse to kill some things
  • story that doesn't revolve around saving the world
  • robust character system with 6 stats, 18 skills, feats, implants, and reputation
  • tactical turn-based combat with different attacks, futuristic gadgets, and various grenades
  • branching dialogues full of skill checks and choices
  • multiple ways to handle quests and objectives
  • meaningful choices backed by consequences

If you like Colony Ship's setting and the story (the store page description), but are not sure about the design, read the negative reviews. What bothered one person might also bother you. Overall, the criticism falls into three categories:

Difficult Combat

Yes, there's an easy mode ("Hero"), but some people prefer to play on hard ("Underdog") but want it to be ... less hard. But whether hard or easy, Colony Ship's complex tactical combat is a major part of the game. If you don't think you'll like learning the character and combat systems to even the odds (in most encounters you'll be outgunned and outnumbered), then you should probably find a different game.

Too Much Reading

If you don't like reading, in games or in general, you will NOT enjoy this game. You can't skip dialogues and just jump into the next fight. In fact, the game isn't very actiony and you can avoid all combat with speech skills. The dialogues aren't voiced as we don't have the budget for it.

Non-AAA Graphics

Some players didn't like the graphics and it's my duty to inform you of this fact. Our team is small, so don't expect any AAA splendor here.
ce726c53d49040adcec9be4426bd8bdb0801729a.png

If you're willing to overlook the negatives, then board the Ship and we'll take you on a dystopian adventure of a (very short) lifetime. If not, thank you for reading.
If you've been following the game's progress and still on the fence. I think now's a good time to get it as there'll be a price increase. The game's quality and pretty worth it. Future content is going to make the game even better too.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
It's a great game, progress has been good, Habitat is huge and awesome, everyone get on board and grab a copy. ITS continues to be the best crpg studio out there.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I have problems with how the dialogue is portrayed Vault Dweller . During the early segments of the game, the MC asks questions like if he was a fresh arrival on the ship, not a born and bred denizen who lived his entire life (until now) in the pit doing odd jobs here and there. For example, he asks (what's the factory?) (what's the brotherhood?), as I said it portrays him as someone who just arrived, not a natural inhabitant of the ship. The game could use something like a lore codex which has information on the different regions, gangs etc. and those questions should really be phrased differently.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
The game could use something like a lore codex which has information on the different regions, gangs
Definitely not.

those questions should really be phrased differently
That is certainly a solution. One example that came to my mind was at the Courthouse. Instead of being completely oblivious, the dialogue should say something along the lines of "You liked coming here to watch the fights since you were a child." and modify the conversation with Chief Justice a little.

Regarding subjects of the Ship (Factory, Brotherhood etc.), I wonder if the questions should not be done away with entirely. Leave a bit to the intelligence of the player (e.g. when MC actually goes to the Factory the player will be able to fill in the blank: "Aha, this is where those raiders came from."). This can sometimes work very well, one would think especially, in an exploration-driven game, but has a downside of possibly leaving the player a bit confused - though it certainly makes dialogues a lot more natural.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom