Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Update #36 - Demo Update #3, More Screens

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7762.0.html

Random tidbits from the front:

1) Programming: We're feature-complete for the demo as of 2 weeks ago. In plain English it means that all the systems (character, inventory, combat, gadgets, dialogue, trading, etc) are done and working well other than the stealth system which we won't need for the demo). Right now we're bug-fixing and tweaking things. For example, what happens when a bullet misses the target by an inch (you see the bullets flying) but hits the energy shield? It's a minor thing but there are lots of them. Enemy's shields didn't shut down when they were killed, fixed it too. Things like that.

2) Art assets:

- armor is still about 30% done, which is our biggest workflow problem to-date. Ivan, our animator who also handles armor, got very ill and spent the last 10 days in a hospital. He's recovering now. We hope to finish armor needed for the demo by the end of the month. By armor I mean all wearable items: vests, jacket/coats, helmets, boots, goggles, masks, breathers. At 8-12 items per category that's quite a lot, but once it's done we won't have to worry about it and would be able to focus on building content.

- portraits: we're making progress, but still behind; we'll probably need 8-10 weeks to finish all portraits needed for the demo but we can start earlier with some placeholders.

- animations: probably 2-3 weeks of work, minor tweaks as we have all animations already. It's not just the animations but setting up the blueprints (Unreal 4 thing) and fixing problems like a character in cover standing up to fire a one-handed SMG even though we have a proper animation for that. Etc.

- the gadgets and the gadget parts are done (3D models and icons), still need to do the implants but won't need any for the demo

3) Design & Balance

- since we keep playing the demo daily ironman style, the balance gets better and better (meaning dying gets easier and easier but good tactics can still save the day).
- all dialogues and ending were done (written and scripted) a long time ago; the demo is playable from start to finish.
- we still need to set the prices for the store and write most item descriptions.

4) Interface
Everything is functional but that's about it. We have a lot of (necessary) changes planned already, but we can do during the beta test as so far it's a low priority item.

That's about it. And now some screens for the easily amused:

TGAhhBP.png

^ Fight #4 (out of 14).

9e6GUuI.png

^ the inventory featuring a mix of old placeholder icons (the boots and that old helmet and jacket) and shiny new ones. The bowler helmets are back in style. Love that Tommy gun:

KpC3tT1.png

Tve9bK5.png

^ the looters get the same generic portrait (if we do individual portraits for every enemy, we won't release anything until 2030); my character's energy shield is almost out (you start with 20HP shield and 2HP/turn regen, but can upgrade it via swapping the parts), I sent Billy (the first party member) to die to show Billy's replacement, but I have a feeling that the end is nigh for both of us.

0XmdpeR.png

^ he was almost dead but almost doesn't count.

UzVbFXD.png

^ I replayed the fights, sacrificed Billy, asked for a replacement and got Mason, a melee fighter

vurUZPv.png

Unfortunately, Mason ended up dead before I remembered to take a screenshot but you can see his mug on the left.

Finished armor models, Ship-made and Earth-made:

jRTVCVe.png
KNBhMyX.png

XKH4Giw.png
1eIpfc8.png

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Progress sounds cool.

I remarked on this in a previous update, but why is the total chance to hit+crit+graze+miss always > 100% in the tooltip?

It's the crit chance that's the culprit, everything else totals 100% in each case. I'm guessing the displayed chance to hit (the green section) includes the crit chance. But I'd expect each section of the bar to represent the chance for one roll outcome each, much like a pie chart, and not have one section be actually a total of two of them. Also, if you're gonna have a total, why not chance to hit+crit+graze? In other words, chance to have an effect / chance to not miss. That would be useful, in addition to the break down by roll outcomes.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Progress sounds cool.

I remarked on this in a previous update, but why is the total chance to hit+crit+graze+miss always > 100% in the tooltip?

It's the crit chance that's the culprit...
Yes. It's yet another interface/presentation issue we'll have to fix once everything else is done.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Looks really cool. If I could make a suggestion, I think it'd look better if the grid in the inventory was a bit more visible, or items in the inventory had a border, so it'd be easier to see exactly how many spaces an item takes up. Right now it's really hard to make out.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Holy shit, the portraits are one of the bests I've ever seen. The art is fantastic

Binky

Cipher
Poor Mason only has 20 hp? Wet tissue paper is more durable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom