Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #38 - Demo update #5

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
News from the front:

- Progress on the portraits and animations is still slow. Meet generic combat NPC 05 and 06:

irVjMSO.jpg
WzhcqPC.jpg

The helmets and goggles reflect the in-game headgear models. Ivan finished tweaking the rifles animations, going over the pistol animations now (over 200 animations).

pJbbwJL.png

- Programming and design are right on schedule, which is a lot more important as I'd rather wait for portraits and animations than for the programming tasks to be completed.

- Scott and I are working on dialogues for the side quests; I hope to have all the quests and dialogues for the Pit ready by the end of the month. Random snippets:

“What can I get you?” The bartender has spotted you looking over the assortment of unlabeled, plastic gallon jugs, each with its own unappealing liquid in some shade of brown. “We got Gutwarmer, Rat Poison, High Voltage, Firewater, and Absolution. Special on the Rat Poison right now, every third round is free for as long as you're able to drink it.”

Three men stand silently about a portable heater, the Ship equivalent of the frontier campfire, minus the good cheer.

“Do you have it?” the man in charge says in a voice hoarse and low. The left side of his face is disfigured with gruesome, saucer-sized scars, like vicious sucker marks. From one of these rippled craters, the angry orange light of an ocular implant is doing duty for a missing eye. You suppress a shudder thinking about the tentacle that must have delivered that kiss. Everyone’s heard the stories, of course, but you felt better telling yourself they were exaggerated.

1. Continue.

Chance hurriedly yanks a dusty old control module from his belt bag and passes it to Scarface. The Granger glances down at it, no more than a quick take, then tosses it to ground.

“What’s the deal?” asks Chance, his righteous indignation more than slightly overplayed. “You wanted a tower control module, I brought you a tower control module. Now where’s my money? I got shit to do.” He cuts his eyes at you, both in a naked appeal for support and to give himself a break from looking at his mark.

Scarface isn’t looking at Chance anymore, though. His implant is giving you a hard stare, and you’re guessing it’s not interested in your haircut. Judging by the design, it’s military hardware, already locked in and analyzing its target.

1. “The money, like he said. Best if you don't make us ask again.”
2. “What if I can get this module for you?”

Finally some screens to illustrate the latest playthrough, feats, and grenades:

8K088qv.png

^ hit for 11 points, only 3 got past through the energy shield and armor despite the rifle's 20% penetration due to the length of the barrel

e2EksjV.png

^ the shield is all but spent, only 2 points left, the next shot disabled it for good; also you can see the detailed tooltips when you select an attack type (aimed: center mass in this case)

Ms7GPry.png

^ the interface is temporary but the functionality is there; 27 feats (for now) by type: general, party, defense, melee, guns, critical strike, on kill, etc.

l8JdXQH.png

^ poison cloud

0tpgUgA.png

^ the effect; poor Billy, time to get a replacement

lJrmGds.png

^ Mason likes combat up close and personal but let's move him out of the way for now

3A4gPCQ.png

^ stasis field

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New portraits for the avatar gallery! (why JPGs though?)

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I am digging everything so far, but I still wish you would remove those red squares on the ground. They make the screen look so clustered and ugly. You have beautiful environment design. Do not ruin the it with those squares appearing during combat.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Liking the white trash names. My dad tried to name me Clayton after his uncle, but my mom thought Clate sounded too much like the kind of building material you’d use if you were planning an expansion to your mobile home.

I am digging everything so far, but I still wish you would remove those red squares on the ground. They make the screen look so clustered and ugly. You have beautiful environment design. Do not ruin the it with those squares appearing during combat.

Maybe a toggle?

Vault Dweller

Developer
We didn't have a chance to improve the GUI yet and the list of things I want to change is very long but I suspect it will be done last. Overall, the red squares represent your attack range which is kinda important. The text messages do tell you if the target is out of your range but it would be nice to have a visual indication as well.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
At a risk of being seen as negative nancy and nitpicker,...

You suppress a shudder
Do i really have to?

“What’s the deal?” asks Chance, his righteous indignation more than slightly overplayed. “You wanted a tower control module, I brought you a tower control module. Now where’s my money? I got shit to do.”
I guess Chance is a low Int character?

poison cloud

Switch that to Chlorine (*easy to manufacture from common table salt) and other simple to makeshift chemical weapons of the kind. Its not a fantasy game.
Sarin, Mustard, CS tear gas with added crap to make it even worse, and some rare higher quality nerve agents.

The cover boxes look too conveniently placed.
Therefore the area looks fake.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
from the looks of it you better put red squares on where you cant shoot.
its not any intelligible information when %99 of the map has them

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
We didn't have a chance to improve the GUI yet and the list of things I want to change is very long but I suspect it will be done last. Overall, the red squares represent your attack range which is kinda important. The text messages do tell you if the target is out of your range but it would be nice to have a visual indication as well.

That can be changed to a tool tip of the targeting reticule/mouse pointer. Just like Fallouts had. Clears up the visual space and enhances the sense of playing in that specific environment, place, location.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
At a risk of being seen as negative nancy and nitpicker,...

You suppress a shudder
Do i really have to?
That was Scott's line. Personally, I prefer not to assign any reaction/emotions to the PC, letting the player decide if his/her character "suppressed a shudder" or marveled at the damage, so I'll tone it down.

“What’s the deal?” asks Chance, his righteous indignation more than slightly overplayed. “You wanted a tower control module, I brought you a tower control module. Now where’s my money? I got shit to do.”
I guess Chance is a low Int character?
He is.

poison cloud

Switch that to Chlorine (*easy to manufacture from common table salt) and other simple to makeshift chemical weapons of the kind. Its not a fantasy game.
It's not a name used in-game.

The cover boxes look too conveniently placed.
It's an arena not a 'natural' environment.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Damn these portraits look slick. And on what game engine is this running again?
Unreal 4.

from the looks of it you better put red squares on where you cant shoot.
its not any intelligible information when %99 of the map has them
Depends on the weapon. A rifle would cover most screen but a pistol or shotgun won't. Either way, we'll change it.

frajaq

Erudite
this combat encounter in the crates is looking to be the most refined one in history by how much the devs are having to go through with it

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Personally i would prefer some kind of calm, factual "noting the scars and the eye", without suppressing shudders or marveling. After all, pretty much everyone on the ship should be used to such things by now.
That does not mean my character wouldnt understand its a "bad motherfucker better not messed with" but that can be understood without such inappropriate childish emotions, best assigned to other specific characters with personalities that would react that way.

It's not a name used in-game.
Well then take those examples as suggestions that seem like they would fit with the setting and the story.
The names can be slightly twisted to represent the futuristic regressed society and technology/knowledge but still recognizable - and still represent the amount and type of damage, or how advanced each such gas bomb is.
(in case you have a few different ones)

It's an arena not a 'natural' environment.
Very good. Then ill trust youll be sure to make natural environments actually more natural. After all, thats one of the most obvious faults of all cover based games we all know too well.

Vault Dweller

Developer
this combat encounter in the crates is looking to be the most refined one in history by how much the devs are having to go through with it
Ironman-style as Nick is just finishing up the save/load system.

where are the waifus

In the grim future, only dudebros are allowed to board the Safe Haven Colony Ship and conquer the new virgin worlds.
Seeing that it's an arena where 'judges' kill criminals and other undesirables for the amusement of the crowd, the number of women participating in such trials is very low. Here's one though:

“Mags Burke and her good-for-nothing offspring. Mags and her kin got booted from the Habitat a few years back and been nothing but a thorn in the Court’s backside ever since. Three times they been brought in and three times they were acquitted, and not without cost. We lost one Prosecutor, and two others were– well, I think I’ll just leave it at that.”

1. “What were they brought in for?”

“All kinds of crimes, both attempted and seen through to completion. Manslaughter, robbery, assault. Easier to tell you what they ain’t tried, if I could think of anything. Randall’s got a really short fuse, which accounts for most of the Burke family’s problems. Once he starts swinging that hammer, Daryll can’t resist joining in. Then when the two of them are in so deep every direction looks black, Mags grabs her rifle and bails them out. It’s the same story every goddamn time and I’m getting tired of it. Let’s see you put it, and them, to rest for good.”

Codex Year of the Donut
Ironman-style as Nick is just finishing up the save/load system.

where are the waifus

In the grim future, only dudebros are allowed to board the Safe Haven Colony Ship and conquer the new virgin worlds.
Seeing that it's an arena where 'judges' kill criminals and other undesirables for the amusement of the crowd, the number of women participating in such trials is very low. Here's one though:

“Mags Burke and her good-for-nothing offspring. Mags and her kin got booted from the Habitat a few years back and been nothing but a thorn in the Court’s backside ever since. Three times they been brought in and three times they were acquitted, and not without cost. We lost one Prosecutor, and two others were– well, I think I’ll just leave it at that.”

1. “What were they brought in for?”

“All kinds of crimes, both attempted and seen through to completion. Manslaughter, robbery, assault. Easier to tell you what they ain’t tried, if I could think of anything. Randall’s got a really short fuse, which accounts for most of the Burke family’s problems. Once he starts swinging that hammer, Daryll can’t resist joining in. Then when the two of them are in so deep every direction looks black, Mags grabs her rifle and bails them out. It’s the same story every goddamn time and I’m getting tired of it. Let’s see you put it, and them, to rest for good.”
I expect full bioware-style romances

Deleted Member 22431

Scott and I are working on dialogues for the side quests; I hope to have all the quests and dialogues for the Pit ready by the end of the month.
Damn. Scott is so heavily involved in this game.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

Yeah, it's in our to-do list. Same for the movement, blue ones. We want to make them a "blob", in which only the outer edges of the area are drawn. Maybe a very subtle grid around mouse cursor for movement, but it's all very low priority right now.

Black Angel

Arcane

Yeah, it's in our to-do list. Same for the movement, blue ones. We want to make them a "blob", in which only the outer edges of the area are drawn. Maybe a very subtle grid around mouse cursor for movement, but it's all very low priority right now.
Why not do it like AoD and have overlapping squares for movement and attacks/actions?
where are the waifus
Courtesy of Goral
8Ix0Uto.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom