Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Update #39 - The third iteration

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
As you probably know, we're waiting for the missing animations (the once long list has been reduced to two-handed weapons and grenades), portraits (8 NPC portraits to go), and armor (all vests, boots and leggings, helmets, goggles, and gas masks are done; waiting for the jackets and coats, which will be done after all animations are in). While we're waiting, we made some changes and improvements.

sVk8MXF.png

- removed all caps from the textbox, added a corresponding skill and level to the weapon slots, the character level, plus replaced words like DMG and AMMO with icons to reduce clutter, added a reaction chance, resized the overhead portraits.
- replaced the disco floor with the movement range but if you prefer the grid you can bring it back via Options.
- still working on the firing range as we need to show both the effective and maximum ranges
- added proper cursors for all occasions (pointer, examine, target, interact, open, climb, etc)
- replaced the old targeting info with a new one (blue - critical, green - hit, yellow - graze, red - miss; pressing ALT gives you a full breakdown of each value)
- replaced the old overhead icons with new ones (the eye shows the effect of your cover, its effect on the enemy's THC; the shield shows the enemy's cover, its effect on your THC)

kVDgUyn.png

o4AXnF5.png

^ Here I'm planning to move (see the arrow that shows the AP cost), notice that the overhead icons above the enemies changed. The icons with the blue arrows show the effect of the move; the effect of his cover and my cover will be reduced. The green targeting cursor indicates that this character will be able to shoot from that location.

F8fmxNX.png

^ Notice the enemy flanking me. The text above the shield is temporary (right now it's a developer tool to make sure that enemies shields are working properly; we'll either remove the text later or pretty it up).

It's still work in progress, but do let us know what you think.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The planned move path should stand out more compared to the movement range border. Maybe animate it somehow or change the shape to a series of chevrons indicating the direction.

Is the barely visible area marked by red dashes supposed to indicate how far you can move while still leaving enough ap for a show with the weapon? Seems there are two of them to show both for one and two shots. Besides being more visible it should be colour coded differently compared to maximum move range. Use graded color maybe with the color mix becoming darker or closer to the target color the less attacks you can make after moving. If this works well you could even ditch the dashes and have it continous to nicely transition into the max movement range border.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The planned move path should stand out more compared to the movement range border. Maybe animate it somehow or change the shape to a series of chevrons indicating the direction.
It's very clear in game when you do it as it's a line that follows the cursor as you move it, but we can try a different color.

Is the barely visible area marked by red dashes supposed to indicate how far you can move while still leaving enough ap for a show with the weapon?
No. Guns have effective and maximum ranges (you start losing accuracy, 10% per tile, if you shoot at a target beyond the effective range). You need to see these ranges to plan your movement better. Admittedly, the current implementation sucks and we're working on something better but it's not ready yet.

Ibbz

Augur
Is the plan to keep the duplicate portrait / stats in the bottom center between the guns, in addition to the top left?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Is the plan to keep the duplicate portrait / stats in the bottom center between the guns, in addition to the top left?
For now. These portraits appear only if you have a party and are used to switch between the party members to inspect their equipped gear and such. We can make it optional so people who don't want to see all this clutter would be able to turn it off.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another thing. Back in April you were throwing out estimates about how you could have the armors and animations done within weeks, which clearly turned out to be wildly unrealistic. Given the amount of time you now know this stuff takes, can you calculate a more accurate estimate for the release date of the combat demo? Eg, you said only two-handed weapon and grenade animations are left to finish - how many were there originally?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Another thing. Back in April you were throwing out estimates about how you could have the armors and animations done within weeks, which clearly turned out to be wildly unrealistic. Given the amount of time you now know this stuff takes, can you calculate a more accurate estimate for the release date of the combat demo? Eg, you said only two-handed weapon and grenade animations are left to finish - how many were there originally?
It's a long story and it's hard for me to go into details right now. The armor and animations would have been ready back in April if Ivan's (our animator) health didn't rapidly deteriorate. Unfortunately, he passed away yesterday. Can't fucking believe it. Nick will post an official announcement later on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7778.msg156110.html#msg156110

We have terrible news that we can't fully comprehend ourselves. Yesterday, on the 5th of September, our friend, 3D animator and wonderful person, Ivan Soloviov, has passed away. He was only 39, battling hemophilia and related complications.

He was a quiet and reserved person who didn't post much, but role-playing games were his true passion and he was excited to work on The Age of Decadence, Dungeon Rats, Dead State, and Colony Ship. Hopefully, players will appreciate his work - his digital footprint - for many years to come. He was also the one who came up with the name Iron Tower Studio years ago. We've lost a good friend and team member. While he worked closely with all of us, he was my closest friend. Whenever I needed help or support, he was always there, honest and generous.

He will be missed.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's a long story and it's hard for me to go into details right now. The armor and animations would have been ready back in April if Ivan's (our animator) health didn't rapidly deteriorate. Unfortunately, he passed away yesterday. Can't fucking believe it. Nick will post an official announcement later on.

Oh, shit, was he the guy responsible for all those impalement animations? The ones I made a new build (and guide) just so I could see them all?

Fuck, man... :negative::negative::negative:

That's his work, right? :salute:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Man wtf.. this really fucking sucks :/

I'm so sorry for your loss, Vince. What a tragic loss, and so young!

Efe

Erudite
infinitron looks like a n insensitive jerk now...

my condolences vd..

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Great UI improvement. The reticle for % to hit is even better than the one I suggested.

Edit: Real sorry about Ivan. I really liked AoD's animations.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom