Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Colony Ship Update #39 - The third iteration

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Vault Dweller, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    As you probably know, we're waiting for the missing animations (the once long list has been reduced to two-handed weapons and grenades), portraits (8 NPC portraits to go), and armor (all vests, boots and leggings, helmets, goggles, and gas masks are done; waiting for the jackets and coats, which will be done after all animations are in). While we're waiting, we made some changes and improvements.

[​IMG]

- removed all caps from the textbox, added a corresponding skill and level to the weapon slots, the character level, plus replaced words like DMG and AMMO with icons to reduce clutter, added a reaction chance, resized the overhead portraits.
    - replaced the disco floor with the movement range but if you prefer the grid you can bring it back via Options.
    - still working on the firing range as we need to show both the effective and maximum ranges
    - added proper cursors for all occasions (pointer, examine, target, interact, open, climb, etc)
    - replaced the old targeting info with a new one (blue - critical, green - hit, yellow - graze, red - miss; pressing ALT gives you a full breakdown of each value)
    - replaced the old overhead icons with new ones (the eye shows the effect of your cover, its effect on the enemy's THC; the shield shows the enemy's cover, its effect on your THC)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ Here I'm planning to move (see the arrow that shows the AP cost), notice that the overhead icons above the enemies changed. The icons with the blue arrows show the effect of the move; the effect of his cover and my cover will be reduced. The green targeting cursor indicates that this character will be able to shoot from that location.

[​IMG]

^ Notice the enemy flanking me. The text above the shield is temporary (right now it's a developer tool to make sure that enemies shields are working properly; we'll either remove the text later or pretty it up).

It's still work in progress, but do let us know what you think.

• Brofist Brofist x 22
    • incline incline x 7
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    looks fucking awesome

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    The planned move path should stand out more compared to the movement range border. Maybe animate it somehow or change the shape to a series of chevrons indicating the direction.

Is the barely visible area marked by red dashes supposed to indicate how far you can move while still leaving enough ap for a show with the weapon? Seems there are two of them to show both for one and two shots. Besides being more visible it should be colour coded differently compared to maximum move range. Use graded color maybe with the color mix becoming darker or closer to the target color the less attacks you can make after moving. If this works well you could even ditch the dashes and have it continous to nicely transition into the max movement range border.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    It's very clear in game when you do it as it's a line that follows the cursor as you move it, but we can try a different color.

No. Guns have effective and maximum ranges (you start losing accuracy, 10% per tile, if you shoot at a target beyond the effective range). You need to see these ranges to plan your movement better. Admittedly, the current implementation sucks and we're working on something better but it's not ready yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    D100 roll under, I see you are also a man of culture :obviously:

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. cruelio Savant

cruelio
    It’s like I’m really playing XCOM.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    It’s pronounced X-COM.

• Prestigious x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ibbz Augur

Ibbz
    Is the plan to keep the duplicate portrait / stats in the bottom center between the guns, in addition to the top left?

^ Top  
  9. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    For now. These portraits appear only if you have a party and are used to switch between the party members to inspect their equipped gear and such. We can make it optional so people who don't want to see all this clutter would be able to turn it off.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    I like the new targeting info UI. Circle is sexi.

^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    The UI and systems. I didn't have time to go over the system changes or all the art to show the next character screen and inventory.

^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Another thing. Back in April you were throwing out estimates about how you could have the armors and animations done within weeks, which clearly turned out to be wildly unrealistic. Given the amount of time you now know this stuff takes, can you calculate a more accurate estimate for the release date of the combat demo? Eg, you said only two-handed weapon and grenade animations are left to finish - how many were there originally?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • thumbs down thumbs down x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    It's a long story and it's hard for me to go into details right now. The armor and animations would have been ready back in April if Ivan's (our animator) health didn't rapidly deteriorate. Unfortunately, he passed away yesterday. Can't fucking believe it. Nick will post an official announcement later on.

• Despair x 51
    • Salute x 23
    • :( x 5
    • decline x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    :what:

• Despair Despair x 5
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    :negative:

• Despair Despair x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. Crispy I'm trying to improve my attitude. Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Sorry to hear that, VD.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    goddammit, this is worth shaking one's fist at heavan, cursing cruel fate

RIP Ivan, you shall be missed :salute:

• Salute Salute x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7778.msg156110.html#msg156110

• Despair Despair x 21
    • Salute Salute x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Horrible news.

• Despair Despair x 4
    ^ Top  
  21. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Oh, shit, was he the guy responsible for all those impalement animations? The ones I made a new build (and guide) just so I could see them all?

Fuck, man... :negative::negative::negative:

That's his work, right? :salute:

• Salute Salute x 13
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Man wtf.. this really fucking sucks :/

I'm so sorry for your loss, Vince. What a tragic loss, and so young!

^ Top  
  23. Efe Arbiter

Efe
    infinitron looks like a n insensitive jerk now...

my condolences vd..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Great UI improvement. The reticle for % to hit is even better than the one I suggested.

Edit: Real sorry about Ivan. I really liked AoD's animations.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.