Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #41: begun the closed beta has

Deleted Member 22431

Elhoim, did the fixed camera allow you to polish the locations more?

vota DC

Augur
Melee seems quite undertuned vs ranged here, haven't been able to make it work in the harder fights later on cause theres too many enemies and no real cover or advantages.

Melee is intended to be a bit harder than ranged by design (and logic). You have to be more creative (use smoke grenades which affect ranged more than melee) and build your character extremely around it. There are implants that will help quite a bit to breach the gap, and we didn't have time to implement a feat that can help (Evasion +10, ballistic DR +1, reaction +10 when not in cover).

It Is advised only 1 melee (rather than both Blunt and blade) and 1 ranged I guess. Also 1 melee and 2 ranged (One firearm and 1 Energy maybe to bypass armor) It Is a good idea?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Elhoim Vault Dweller How finished would you say the overall sound design of the game is? That is, guns, menu, ui, npcs, music, voices and so on? And if so, how much of it is placeholder at the moment?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Elhoim Vault Dweller How finished would you say the overall sound design of the game is? That is, guns, menu, ui, npcs, music, voices and so on? And if so, how much of it is placeholder at the moment?

Quite early implementation. Music is first pass (but already sounding great). Gunshots are placeholder, we are missing several impact sounds, we have no footsteps, no ui sounds, no "grunts".

Trashos

Arcane
Well, if melee is in the game, I would expect it to be tactically relevant in a party-based game (not only for resource conservation). If it is not a good idea for anyone in the party to be melee, then why is melee even in the game?

For example, it would be cool for melee to have an advantage in close quarters against single opponents. The assumption here is that if a knife user is really close to a sniper, the advantage lies with the knife user.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The assumption here is that if a knife user is really close to a sniper, the advantage lies with the knife user.
There's a flurry ability for a melee fighter: you hit 3 times in a row for 9 AP (and my character has 20 AP total now, so 11 steps+1 flurry for a turn). If you get to your opponent in the first turn, you'll most likely kill him right away.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Quite early implementation. Music is first pass (but already sounding great). Gunshots are placeholder, we are missing several impact sounds, we have no footsteps, no ui sounds, no "grunts".

That's good to hear, as I agree, the music is already decent! I hope you get some crazy good gun sounds and what not, Terminator 2 minigun sound at the very minimum. Sound is half the experience for me playing an rpg ;)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yzv8bTC.png
AoD screen had a much better feel/look, not sure why. Maybe it's the large font, everything looks "crammed in". Does the in-game char sheet look different?

It looks like what it is. Some shit put together by amateurs. And probably because the UI is made by a "friend" or "fellow forum poster" even if they realized it's shit they would feel bad about telling him so.
The problem is actually exacerbated by the high-quality graphics of the items when everything else is pretty much "programmer graphics". It makes it look even more like some clueless amateurs got a bunch of assets and thew them in together with no idea what they're doing.
Look at that fucking blue glow. They put it there probably because they felt the items didn't stand out well enough. Here's a clue: if you have to put a blue glow around all items to make them visible, your UI is shit and you should change that.
Seriously, the company who created those items for you should give you your money back and revoke your license to use them. You're essentially taking their work and shitting on it.

Deleted Member 22431

If this guy wasn't butthurt all the time, life would likely have no meaning...
Most likely the life of FeeltheRetard has no meaning. Imagine giving yourself all this trouble just to be ignored. His butthurt amuses me greatly.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It's a free demo, not a commercial product.
To be honest your combat demo is so good that I'm surprised you're not selling it even for nominal fee. I see tons of shitty games on Steam for 3-5$ which offer much less content or challenge and even in the music/graphics department aren't even close and yet they sometimes sell in thousands.

Recently I've bought Slay the Spire that Eyestabber recommended and I'm sorry to say but I've wasted my money somewhat. It took me like 2 hours to finish the game and that was basically it. Yes, later some new challenges were unlocked but they were basically the same, only slightly harder (or much harder in a custom game, although at lvl 20 - maximum - I've reached second boss and got bored to try again because too much relied on lucky draws, if I got decent cards and relics and the right order reaching even final boss wouldn't be that hard but usually I got shit and could as well reload because going further than 2nd boss was impossible).

Anyway, I'm mentioning StS because it's a 20$ game and yet if offers much less than CSG demo. I know I won't persuade you to do it (probably for the better, some consumers might see it the wrong way if you would charge for a "demo") but I'm letting you know that you're doing something right with your Colony Ship game. I honestly didn't think you could pull it off and create something as fun as AoD (at least when it comes to combat) for the second time. Especially with that strange new "gain skills by using them" system (I;m still not a fan of it but it works here excellently).

The problem is whether other people will see it the way I'm seeing and whether your game will get enough publicity. Hopefully yes because I would really like to play your third (big) game.

Deleted Member 22431

Recently I've bought Slay the Spire that Eyestabber recommended and I'm sorry to say but I've wasted my money somewhat.
reminder that the totally legit and definitely not manipulated rpg codex goty poll ranked this as the #2 2019 RPG
Since Felipepepe changed the formula because he didn't want 'the pool to be a popularity contest', it became a joke. No serious codexer will even bother to vote. It lost all its meaning and prestige. Shame.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Recently I've bought Slay the Spire that Eyestabber recommended and I'm sorry to say but I've wasted my money somewhat.
reminder that the totally legit and definitely not manipulated rpg codex goty poll ranked this as the #2 2019 RPG
Funny thing is, I've pirated the game, played a bit, really liked so I bought it on GOG. Little did I know that my pirate playthrough was basically whole game :D. I've learned my lesson though - pirate first, then finish the game and then buy if it's worth it (or at least play 10 hours per every 5 dollars spent).

Efe

Erudite
i dont get how you compare StS to this game?
do you hate roguelikes too because you never replay/reroll your character? go to ending once and thats it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom