Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #42: combat beta progress report

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7820.0.html

I'm happy to report that the combat beta is going well and over 40 people are playing it at the moment. We went through 140 internal versions and 6 public updates in the last 4 weeks. Some players are true heroes who went above and beyond, testing each update and posting constructive feedback (900+ posts) which is shaping the game as we speak. The difference between the first version (that we released 4 weeks ago) and today's version is huge. If not for the remaining animations, I'd say we're almost ready for public release. So far the plan is to keep tweaking and improving until the end of the month and then re-evaluate the situation and see where we are with the animations (and whether or not we should release the demo with male models and animations only).

We added stimulants and implants. The coats are almost done, we're adding them now for the next update:

o7g8IJI.png
35wE5jP.png

New screens (this time I played a solo melee fighter, relying on grenades and gadgets).

COsQpdC.png

rzPuQaG.png

"Assembled from scavenged metal pipes, this two-handed war hammer demonstrates an ingenious commitment to both recycling and the infliction of pain."

EIpJfin.png

^ we're still busy with the mechanics and balance, so the character screen remains a low priority item

7nrMUo7.png

BwmSrnM.png

cKHQBEX.png

^ the art is temporary; an artist is working on the proper model (we have an in-game model but we'd like to have a fancy interior shot)

EDVT18c.png

^ my new implant; it can be upgraded if you find the upgrade kits: rapid response and advanced targeting; only one can be active at a time.

ZiMQJhQ.png

^ distortion field generator

Stay tuned and please follow the game on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/648410/Colony_Ship_A_PostEarth_Role_Playing_Game/

AdolfSatan

Arcane
That screen got me wondering (and fantasising) : Will there be a chance for implanting procedures to go wrong? Both immediately (the machine wasn't properly calibrated or you got the wrong size and you end one cock shorter than you had when you walked in) and down the line (faulty eyeball starts failing after some days and you end up half blind in the middle of a fight). Perhaps you scavenge one from a member of the bigger factions and it turns out it's hacked or something.
The first might be avoidable with a quick load, but the latter not so much.

Might get some players frustrated and complain-y tho. Myself, I would love it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
That screen got me wondering (and fantasising) : Will there be a chance for implanting procedures to go wrong?
No as it would lead to instant reload and frustration. The combat is difficult so you'll need every bonus you can get. Offering you a bonus only to yank it away last min would be cruel.

What we're discussing is each implant and upgrade kit increasing your chance to be affected by pulse grenades used against droids and turrets (not in the demo). Let's say 5% chance per 'item', so if you're fully augmented (7 implants, 14 upgrade kits), you'll be 100% affected. This way your implants will give you a great advantage in many fights but a disadvantage in others.

jackofshadows

Magister
What we're discussing is each implant and upgrade kit increasing your chance to be affected by pulse grenades used against droids and turrets (not in the demo). Let's say 5% chance per 'item', so if you're fully augmented (7 implants, 14 upgrade kits), you'll be 100% affected. This way your implants will give you a great advantage in many fights but a disadvantage in others.
That's a great idea. Reminds me one character from Dex (Conor) who was so jacked that it also did affect his personality (or rather sucked out of it). Although I'm not suggesting to implement that. And of course, in order to beat him, player was suppose to use some counter-augment stuff (otherwise it was nearly impossible).

Tigranes

Arcane
rzPuQaG.png

That noob Vault Dweller, he's left Solomon the energy pistolero for the last and dude is going to eat him up against usually lower Energy DR on common armours

Unless Solomon's run out of his precious few rare energy shells, in whiich case he has to switch to ballistics and VD can hope to survive one turn and bum-rush him under smoke cover

If so he'll get to run up and make one attack (could have been two on a high DEX char), the question is whether to do an aimed, I'd be tempted to do Aimed Arms to lower his THC and then eat him up with reaction strikes if he misses his shots or tries to run away

Combat definitely provides a different array of interesting dilemmas relative to AOD combat, though much of it is often built on similar principles under the hood.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Unless Solomon's run out of his precious few rare energy shells, in whiich case he has to switch to ballistics and VD can hope to survive one turn and bum-rush him under smoke cover
He ran out while I was dealing with the public defenders (you can tell by the gun model that he's holding a multibarrel pistol). I activated the distortion field to boost my evasion and killed him. To be fair, he killed me 4 times before this strategy worked but on that glorious fifth time it finally did!

Technomancer

Liturgist
He's got like 2 cells of ammo which he is quick to waste on his first turn.

Good money if you kill him on first move though.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Killer Droid from ten or so (checked, exactly: 32) updates ago, is he still a blueprint or has been assembled and is fully operational?

romeo_concept_zpscpj51zon.jpg

Vault Dweller

Developer
Killer Droid from ten or so (checked, exactly: 32) updates ago, is he still a blueprint or has been assembled and is fully operational?
Still a blueprint. Models and animations were Ivan's domain but he got seriously ill in early 2019 and died in September. Droids will be in the game but it will take us a bit longer to add them.

Generic-Giant-Spider

DAAAAMN COLONY SHIP YOU LOOKIN' SO PRETTY, GUUUURL.

Ensi

Educated
I haven't been paying attention to this game but it looks fukkin badass mates gr8 job

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom