Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #43: combat beta on Apr 15

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We're about to hit yet another major milestone - the first public release (even if it's only a combat demo). The first complaints and rage-quits, the first claims that the demo is unfair, impossible, very bad, and no good.

strike-a-pose.gif

If you're reading it, you're probably know that the beta's been extensively tested for 3 months and changed quite a lot as a result. We can't thank the beta testers enough for helping us evolve and polish the systems and playing a relatively short demo for such a long time. We couldn't have done it without you.

Now some screens and notable changes:

gPKhWq7.png

We merged energy weapons with firearms, so now skills like Pistol cover all pistols which makes sense. We've reworked INT bonuses so now you get more tagged skills but the learning rate for non-tagged skills went down. We added Heroic feats for maxed stats, and tons of minor things, too numerous to mention.

POYIAzf.png

We moved things around a bit here so the screen looks better and more informative

3j4OMo7.png

We added some NPCs and quest intros so you'd get a good idea of what to expect.

kjO8Oqo.png

You'd think 2 vs 3 would be a relatively easy fight. It's not
icon_sad.gif

In the meantime, we'd appreciate if take a moment and wishlist and follow the game and the studio on Steam. These metrics matter to Steam's algorithms and thus to us.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/648410/Colony_Ship_A_PostEarth_Role_Playing_Game/

https://store.steampowered.com/developer/irontowerstudio

jackofshadows

Magister
Another useless tester here, but I'll try public release for sure to compare impressions with early builds which I've played and to smug a bit over future user's complains, can't help it :smug:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I remember back when you guys released AoD's combat demo, I was so amazed it might have been the very first game I pre-ordered in my life. Won't hesitate for a second to do the same here.

Any idea on what the minimum requirements will be?

Tigranes

Arcane
Good stuff, VD. The combat / character building systems came a long way just during the beta period of 2020, and the changes made some big tangible differences (to the positive) for how the game plays. This should be fun.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We merged energy weapons with firearms, so now skills like Pistol cover all pistols which makes sense.

:balance:

One thing though, Vault Dweller.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7820.0.html

If not for the remaining animations, I'd say we're almost ready for public release. So far the plan is to keep tweaking and improving until the end of the month and then re-evaluate the situation and see where we are with the animations (and whether or not we should release the demo with male models and animations only).

You never did say what the result of that reevaluation was. Did you finally finish all your animations?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Any idea on what the minimum requirements will be?
Recommended:

• Processor: 2 GHz Processor or better
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 950 / AMD Radeon R7 370 or better
  • DirectX: Version 10
  • Storage: 5 GB available space

Vault Dweller

Developer
One thing though, Vault Dweller.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7820.0.html

So far the plan is to keep tweaking and improving until the end of the month and then re-evaluate the situation and see where we are with the animations (and whether or not we should release the demo with male models and animations only).

You never did say what the result of that reevaluation was. Did you finally finish all your animations?
We fixed the most glaring issues (unfinished/placeholder animations), plenty of relatively minor issues, successfully transferred the animations to the female model (at least something went well for a change), so now we have both, but overall our new animator will be busy for a while as there are plenty of things he can improve.

Black Angel

Arcane
Also a useless tester here, with only what little time I got to test the game on two different machine. Cheers and good luck, VD and co :salute:
At first I was one of the guys worried with the decision to go with learning-by-doing system, but after experiencing it myself there's no need to worry about it. What we need to see now is how the learning-by-doing system works with non-combat gameplay.

By virtue of more elaborate and nuanced combat gameplay mechanics (like grazing and allowing players to attempt aimed attacks from the get-go, instead of needing to spend a perk/feat point, coupled with the cover mechanics) I can see the game becoming much, MUCH better than Underrail, until we see how Styg do with his game with Infusion.

The feats selection and its effect weren't as exciting as Underrail's, and even New Vegas, for now, but hopefully it would be rectified at release.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wishlisted and followed as well.

I didn't enjoy AoD (yes, including the combat, not only the rail roaded from chargen stuff). But I did enjoy Dungeon Rats. This being a party-based game should be better, at least I am expecting combat to be as enjoyable as Dungeon Rats. Looking forward to it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Vault Dweller
I like Dungeon Rats combat but i really hope Colony Ship isn't going to be a linear experience and there's a lot of side quest and free meaningful (meaning there's optional content) exploration.

Also, talking about Dungeon Rats, i fired it up again, combat lacks some sound effects (Fallout-like, Battle Brothers did well in that area too) and decapitations, we're here to kill things and watch them explode.

Last and not least, i like tough combat but not healing starvation, please don't make this game a food/healing potions manager, just add enough resting areas (free heal), KotC did that part quite well, you can't rest everywhere but you don't have limited camping resources either.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller
I like Dungeon Rats combat but i really hope Colony Ship isn't going to be a linear experience and there's a lot of side quest and free meaningful (meaning there's optional content) exploration.
Dungeon Rats was a quick combat game with a 10-month development cycle. Colony Ship is a full-scale RPG with a 5-year development cycle. It will be non-linear with plenty of optional content, side quests, and exploration.

Last and not least, i like tough combat but not healing starvation, please don't make this game a food/healing potions manager, just add enough resting areas (free heal), KotC did that part quite well, you can't rest everywhere but you don't have limited camping resources either.
No healing starvation either. There are healing machines, common meds, and combat stims (including healing, although it comes at a cost).

Black Angel

Arcane
The feats selection and its effect weren't as exciting as Underrail's, and even New Vegas, for now, but hopefully it would be rectified at release.
Care to elaborate?
For example, in Underrail you get cool stuff like Ambush which lets you ignore half of your target evasion and increases your crit chance (which is further modified by your stealth skill) when attacking a target illuminated by sufficient lighting while your character is standing in sufficiently dark places.
In New Vegas, you get cool stuff like Jury Rigging which allows you to repair a weapon using the weapon from same category instead of the exact same weapon (like repairing a .357 Magnum Revolver with a .44 Magnum Revolver, instead of with another .357 Magnum Revolver).

In Colony Ship, however, the feats selection so far are only simple number modifiers (+20 Reaction, +15 THC, etc etc) instead of letting characters to do something you can't normally do without the feats. Only the Heroic feats are more compelling so far, and a couple others with special conditions like Lone Wolf which requires having no companions, and locking you out of a gameplay option like Berserker making you unable to perform melee aimed attacks. Other than that, the feats selection for now are pale in comparison to those you can get in Underrail + DLC and New Vegas + DLCs. But like I said, I'm expecting VD and co would put out more interesting and cool feats out there and modifies existing ones so they aren't simple number modifiers. Number modifiers like Fallout 1's Sniper/Slayer perks are welcome, though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't fully agree. There are some cool feats. Last I played, there weren't that many, though.

Black Angel

Arcane
I don't fully agree. There are some cool feats. Last I played, there weren't that many, though.
That's my point. With the new updates, the Heroic feats are *really* cool stuff only obtainable by those with a 10 in a stat. And they really do let you do some cool shit like with 10 DEX feat, you can (from what I read) completely disable enemy's reaction/Attack of Opportunity when moving. Haven't tried it, but man that's what I'm talking about.

But the selection pool still pale in comparison to the other games I've mentioned. I'd sincerely hope VD would consider putting out more cool feats, and ALSO cool non-combat feats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom