Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #44: demo update and status report

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The combat demo:

Overall, it went spectacularly well (for a change). Of course, the beta test was encouraging but there’s a huge difference between handpicked battle-hardened veterans and the general public. It could have easily gone sideways but didn’t, which is encouraging.

To-date the demo’s been downloaded 3,754 times (no idea whether it’s good or bad, but surely it’s better than nothing), the average time played is 3 hours 2 min. We gained 4,359 wishlists in the last 30 days (and lost 227 - I assume they were disappointed with the demo), so our total is 23,261.

We spent the last 3 weeks processing the feedback and improving the overall design (added Recoil Control (a derived stat), close combat engagement (can’t do reaction shots at other combatants, cover bonus is halved), displayed initiative in combat as well as bonus APs granted by feats, full party weapons reload, etc). We’ve also added feat icons, more hairstyles and facial customization options (tattoos and scars), as well as the interface improvements.

YNPKICI.png

AWYTeWW.png

The demo is now updated, so you can take it for a spin and see the current changes. We’ll continue improving the character & combat systems, and interface (and thus the demo), so stay tuned. In other news:

Quests:

We’ve started implementing quests and we expect all the Pit’s quests to be done in 2 months. Let’s say 3 months to be safe, which will give us plenty of time to finish the Armory (half-done) and the Hydroponics (only the first area of the Hydroponics will be available in Chapter 1, the other two areas will require heavy gear and skills) to launch the game on Early Access by the end of the year.

GCT2QY1.png

Here’s the very first (optional) quest you recieve. If you talk to Tanner in the demo, you know that he wants you to go to the Armory but it’s a dangerous trip and you might need a buddy, either to become a life-long traveling companion or to shield you from bullets and die a noble death so that you can live and prosper.

The first companion is Evans the Rifleman and he will gladly help you if you help him first.

30QuPgg.png

PzmffBO.png

r3rJtHl.png

jUCAKd0.png

Animations - much improved; we’re slowly working through the combat animations, then will start on non-combat animations, different poses for bar patrons and such, and creature animations.

Various models - working on more energy weapons, including shotguns (more like that concussion rifle in Dark Forces) and SMGs.

Creatures - four out of six creatures are done, so we’re right on schedule there.

Stealth - next on the list. Sneaking and generating noise are the easy part. The tricky part that determines if the system works or not is what happens when you make enough noise to attract the guards’ attention. It works on paper and screen mockups, hopefully it will work well in-game.

Drowed

Arcane
The stat page looks great now, by the way.

Yes, it's improved significantly, though actually subtle if you don't pay attention. Before, it seemed like random information floating in the void, now the layout of the stats and the tabbed division makes it actually look like a proper interface. I still think it could have a little more "substance" to it, to give it a little more character, but it already seems perfectly functional the way it is.

EDIT:

VD, in the final game will there be any option to resize the interface? Or at least the font size? My age doesn't help that much anymore, so some information ends up too small for me to be able to read without having to work hard or get too close to the screen. In the dialogue not so much, but the names of the enemies during the combat, and some information in the popups are a little difficult to read.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Fucking INCLINE. I know im a fanboy, and i know all of it has been said before, but fuck me if this game doesn't get my ass hyped up.

You guys are doing great, Vince. I honestly hope you guys make fuckloads of money and recognition from this from industry veterans. This is how the fuck you make a good TB cRPG on top of the already cool sci-fi setting.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great work! I've stopped playing, because what I have played has convinced me to buy the game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
VD, in the final game will there be any option to resize the interface? Or at least the font size? My age doesn't help that much anymore, so some information ends up too small for me to be able to read without having to work hard or get too close to the screen. In the dialogue not so much, but the names of the enemies during the combat, and some information in the popups are a little difficult to read.
Can't promise anything now but we'll try to add an option to increase the font size (if it won't become a major project).

Fucking INCLINE. I know im a fanboy, and i know all of it has been said before, but fuck me if this game doesn't get my ass hyped up.

You guys are doing great, Vince. I honestly hope you guys make fuckloads of money and recognition from this from industry veterans. This is how the fuck you make a good TB cRPG on top of the already cool sci-fi setting.
If we earn enough to be able to do that sequel I mentioned last year (when the ship lands), I'll be very happy. So far the biggest fear is what if the game sells less than AoD (which got way more media coverage).

Saravan

Savant
Loving the aesthetics, in particular the character portraits. Enjoyed the demo a lot so it's going to be a buy from me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
close combat engagement (can’t do reaction shots at other combatants, cover bonus is halved)

:balance:

We’ve started implementing quests and we expect all the Pit’s quests to be done in 2 months. Let’s say 3 months to be safe, which will give us plenty of time to finish the Armory (half-done) and the Hydroponics (only the first area of the Hydroponics will be available in Chapter 1, the other two areas will require heavy gear and skills) to launch the game on Early Access by the end of the year.

So the initial release of the Early Access == Chapter 1? How many chapters in total?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Disappeared from where? Was his portrait in the demo?

It was in the data files, at least. Braxton is the only one left now.

BTW I noticed you seem to have repurposed Jonas' old portrait for another character.

Deleted Member 22431

Vault Dweller, where is the list detailing every single change?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Will the full demo be most of chapter 1 like how it was for Age of Decadence
Probably not. We can only have one demo on Steam, so we'll probably leave the combat demo there but add a module to test the stealth system. Too early to say right now.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I just found out about this game. I hope you get more publicity this time around as there are never too many space games.

I am looking forward to your work.

Dysterkvist

Novice
Great work all around, looking forward to playing this! I hope it gets the attention it deserves so you can keep on making games like this. :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom