Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #50: the first chapter is playable

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7907.0.html

As the title says, the first chapter is finally playable and it looks and feels pretty good. It's another major milestone as there's a huge difference between calling up some scripts to test a quest or check dialogues and actually playing the chapter from start to finish.

Next step - playtesting it internally (that's what I'm doing now), improving the locations and visuals (until now the focus was on quests and scripting), adding more dialogues and events, and expanding options where appropriate. I assume we'll spend the next 4 weeks doing that, then see where we're at. So far it looks like we're on track to release the first chapter in mid March, but time will tell.

mhyJmhJ.png

^ home, sweet home

dkYLeZj.png

^ the apartment 'building' where you live

5dcFwPp.png

^ Spike and Bulldozer, your new best friends

7fI3MLJ.png

^ they went through me like hot knife through butter. I should avoid them until I gain a skill level or two. Their skills are as low as mine, but there's two of them and that makes a huge difference at this point. Mental note to self, add an option to pay them. It's time to get a drink.

l97hvuV.png

9suDvUO.png

Tanner gives me an access card for the Armory and recommends to get someone to watch my back, namely Evans, the first party member.

C0FVSz1.png

^ things you might do but can't do at the moment.

zA7mRAJ.png

^ the Promised Land, a couple of quests later.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I meant Early Access. The game's in good shape, I'm not getting any bugs but there are tons of minor things I'd like to fix and improve. For example, yesterday the area on screen #3 was empty and the apartment building didn't look as good. Tomorrow we'll add some neighbors there as well, so it won't be just you. Plus some opportunities to steal from the poor.

There are plenty of other things we want to do so running a beta test now would be more distracting than helpful (since the combat system has already been tested extensively, the only things left to test are quest scripting and fight balance but we can handle it ourselves, at least for now). We might still do it in early March for 2 weeks or so, but right now I can't say for sure.

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Going to have to start ignoring threads to dodge spoilers, really looking forward to full release based on the combat demo. Good luck with EA and thank you testers.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Great - on what online platforms will the game be available? Steam, Epic, GoG?
On release - all of them, hopefully. EA - Steam's the obvious choice to start. We'll talk to GOG at the end of the month (when we have a build ready for evaluation, see what they say).

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Nice - I don't remember the details so forgive me if I hit a sour spot, but wasn't there some talk about the game being an Epic exclusive, because you placed in the top in one of their contests? TBH the platform on which I will buy with most happiness goes GoG>Steam>Epic in that order, but if you'd get more $ with Epic I'd go for that too.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Nice - I don't remember the details so forgive me if I hit a sour spot, but wasn't there some talk about the game being an Epic exclusive, because you placed in the top in one of their contests?
Some people assumed that, but I never said anything about exclusivity (except that it creates a lot of ill will and thus bad for business).

Vault Dweller

Developer
Haven't been keeping with Colony Ship for a while, but whistles those graphics look gorgeous as a chocolate skinned paraense girl with beautiful curly hair. Who's doing your graphics?
Oscar. Mazin does 2D art (signs, interface, portraits, icons, etc).

Query: Any change we can change font/interface color? I think monochrome green would look balla.
Should be doable but too early to say for sure.

Oh hey, you guys going with fixed camera or free camera in this one?
Fixed. Makes Oscar's life much easier.

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Not related to the topic but any chance for a poisonous companion? Like Joshua Graham was supposed to be in F3, great warrior, but gets you in trouble, lowers your reputation with factions etc.
Based on combat demo I'd say yes - at least regarding faction reactions to different companions - I'm just curious if you included a murderhobo friend.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Oscar. Mazin does 2D art (signs, interface, portraits, icons, etc).

Ah, I suspected it was Oscar! He did very good in AOD.
Is Mazin new?
No. He dd the portraits, unique weapons and armor, interface, and illustrations (the main screen and ending slides) in AoD and DR.

Oh hey, kinda related: How about modability?
We'll try to make it as moddable as possible but it depends on the programming man-hours available and our second programmer just left us, so it doesn't look very promising at the moment.

vota DC

Augur
What means first chapter? Unlike aod that has 3 cities this will be all inside the giant ship, the part in the planet where natives have late medieval technology isn't in the game but in the sequel.

At the end Is the new system suited for the future remake of Aod that I read in iron tower forum? It will solve skill points hoarding?

Vault Dweller

Developer
What means first chapter?
The story has 4 chapters.

At the end Is the new system suited for the future remake of Aod that I read in iron tower forum? It will solve skill points hoarding?
It's a highly hypothetical remake. Right now the plan is to finish Colony Ship and if it does well, make that sequel (the ship lands). Then we'll think of what to do next. If the learn by using system works well it will solve the hoarding problem, although I wouldn't make such dramatic changes (or use the exact same system in all games).

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Ship landing on a foreign world. I'm instantly reminded of that LP done maybe 10 years ago with a group of 5 astronauts landing on a foreign world, being taken in by the aliens which were furtastic, etc. Party based RPG.

What sort of mutated humans are going to be present? You mentioned caste like systems, but are there castes of mutants, slave groups, etc.?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom