Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Comic Book Hero Based Text "Career" Sim

Nukester

Novice
This game was just released a few days ago and I thought some here might be interested in checking this out. Its basically a text based comic book hero sim along the lines of something like King of Dragon Pass. The guy that created the game, Adam Ryland, is creator of the Total Extreme Wresting and World of Mixed Martial Arts text-based sims, which are interesting games. Im just a hour or so into the demo so I cant say much about the game yet, except that there are alot of choices to make for you character building and what seems like alot of C&C if your into that kind of thing. Might be kind of steep for $24.95 but I guess thats subjective. Heres a blurb from the txt file

The concept of the game is that you take control of a hero (or anti-hero) comic book character and are responsible for leading him through his career. At the same time, you also play as the writer of the character - this allows the game to be framed in terms of issues, and gives a reason for you to hear about everything else that is going on within the game world. There is no 'end game' as such, you can keep playing for as long as you want, although if permanent deaths are enabled then eventually the game world could become unplayable due to all your potential opponents being deceased.

It should be noted that you play within a specific 'time frame'. This means that although time clearly moves forward (allowing you to go on missions, heal, make new relationships, etc), the characters do not age or evolve (except the user's own character, the protagonist). This is to simulate the way comic books work, in that in most cases time is not really a factor that is taken into consideration.

- Take control of a hero and guide him or her through their crime-fighting career
- Choose one of four game modes, ranging from role-playing as an existing character to starting from scratch as a brand new hero
- Combat can go up to 10 vs. 10, in a turn-based strategic battle
- Foil evil schemes by fighting off henchmen, solving puzzles, and unmasking villainous masterminds
- Stay prepared by gathering information with the innovative Word On The Street feature
- Handle your character's relationships with allies, villains and civilians
- Protect your character's secret identity fiercely or choose to tell your closest allies
- Join a team for adventures or even start your own heroic alliance
- An in-depth editor allows the creation of a fully customisable game world; everything from a character's powers to the locations within the game world can be altered at will

http://www.greydogsoftware.com

kris

Arcane
I tested the demo, but the demo had a critical flaw. In a game that seemed to be mainly about combat (judging by same demo) it didn't work in the demo. Didn't work as in the demo was made so that everyone one-hit killed you. That meant you could not see the main element of the game.

The humour was nice and so was the character creation, just seemed like there was very little to do in the game.

Noddy

Augur
TEW is pretty good. This might be a decent game considering the guy's sytle. Dling demo.

Eyeball

Arcane
The "you lose every single fight" thing is the developers way of limiting his shareware. Instead of allowing you to play X number of turns like in the previous titles, you simply cannot win a fight.

Pretty damn silly, and certainly makes me not want to buy the product as I can't tell if it's any good or not. Still, it's not really my cup of tea - superheroes need a bit of spectacle in their game that text-based can't really bring across IMO, and I really like the WMMA games.

Nukester

Novice
I havent noticed that at all in combat. Ive only had a handful of fights, always when i specifically search for someone and never when on patrol, but I honestly dont think Ive even lost a fight. Ive actually thought they were pretty easy (even if I dont have a clue yet as to how the numbers are calculated. I see a bunch of lines in the combat screen but havent figured out what they all mean yet). Maybe its because Im using The Big Chill in the demo (medium difficulty) and I seem to just use Freeze Prison (or whatever its called) then blast the crap out of my opponent. Im pretty sure most of the guy I fought were only like level 3 or so (vs The Big Chill lvl 6) and I avoided guys with fire based abilities. id also shoot off the freeze prison while " in the open" then when my opponent was stunned, Id go "in the air" and blast them. If I was close to falling unconscious, Id "take cover" or "run and take cover or whatever"

kris

Arcane
Nukester said:
I havent noticed that at all in combat. Ive only had a handful of fights, always when i specifically search for someone and never when on patrol, but I honestly dont think Ive even lost a fight. Ive actually thought they were pretty easy (even if I dont have a clue yet as to how the numbers are calculated. I see a bunch of lines in the combat screen but havent figured out what they all mean yet). Maybe its because Im using The Big Chill in the demo (medium difficulty) and I seem to just use Freeze Prison (or whatever its called) then blast the crap out of my opponent. Im pretty sure most of the guy I fought were only like level 3 or so (vs The Big Chill lvl 6) and I avoided guys with fire based abilities. id also shoot off the freeze prison while " in the open" then when my opponent was stunned, Id go "in the air" and blast them. If I was close to falling unconscious, Id "take cover" or "run and take cover or whatever"

Really Nukester... or should I call you Mr.Plant?
You didn't think I knew your secret identity did you?
When I played the demo (on easy) I saw that opponents game me damage in the thousands while I gave them damage around 20. That was the very few times I actually got a shot at them. They also had around ten hit rolls, while I always only got ONE even if the text said I was allowed 6. So either Mr Big Chill is extremly overpowered or you are lying to us. But I will try the DEMO with some really overpowered character to see...

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I played the demo and the character builder is impressive. I liked that I could use a screenshot from Champions Online to recreate a character I made. But the game is $25 and the demo restraints won't even let me find out of combat is actually satisfying. I really like what the game is trying to do, but I think I'm going to hold off on buying it until there is more feedback from players or until the demo lets you have at least one fight that you don't automatically lose.

When I played the demo (on easy) I saw that opponents game me damage in the thousands while I gave them damage around 20. That was the very few times I actually got a shot at them. They also had around ten hit rolls, while I always only got ONE even if the text said I was allowed 6. So either Mr Big Chill is extremly overpowered or you are lying to us. But I will try the DEMO with some really overpowered character to see...

After perusing the Greydog Software forum, it seems older demo versions had different limitations. Also, maybe he's playing the full version.

Noddy

Augur
Elicence is fucking terrible.

When your DRM crashes the game when the buy button is clicked, it's time to get rid of it.

Nukester

Novice

Nope you can call me Nukester. I have nothing to do with the game. I just thought someone here might be interesting in checking it out. And to be honest, the game got extremely boring very quickly, so I cant even really recommend it to anyone based on my thoughts on it.

As far as me lying or whatever about my playthrough with the demo, either you suck ass or you got a different demo than I have. The demo I have allows you to play the full game with no limitations except that you can only use 3 predetermined characters (Big Chill, Rachael Noir, or Cosmic Girl). There are different versions of the demo out, so Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have a different demo and that you dont suck ass.

Breaking Axe

Educated
Nukester said:

Nope you can call me Nukester. I have nothing to do with the game. I just thought someone here might be interesting in checking it out. And to be honest, the game got extremely boring very quickly, so I cant even really recommend it to anyone based on my thoughts on it.

As far as me lying or whatever about my playthrough with the demo, either you suck ass or you got a different demo than I have. The demo I have allows you to play the full game with no limitations except that you can only use 3 predetermined characters (Big Chill, Rachael Noir, or Cosmic Girl). There are different versions of the demo out, so Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have a different demo and that you dont suck ass.

Yeah, the demo I played made combat impossible to win (Except with Chronos), could you link to the demo you used?

Nukester

Novice
I asked on the GD site about a demo that allows you to experience combat, and apparently the newest demo will let you do that. This is from the site:

The demo has been updated. The old combat-related demo hasn't been available since retail release, anyone who is still using the old one has either downloaded it from a site unrelated to ours, or downloaded it over a week ago. They just need to download a fresh copy.

I also just found out in the demo Im using that you cant add attributes to the character. You need to leave them with the default attributes. Im not sure if thats changed in the newest demo

Breaking Axe

Educated
Nukester said:
I asked on the GD site about a demo that allows you to experience combat, and apparently the newest demo will let you do that. This is from the site:

The demo has been updated. The old combat-related demo hasn't been available since retail release, anyone who is still using the old one has either downloaded it from a site unrelated to ours, or downloaded it over a week ago. They just need to download a fresh copy.

I also just found out in the demo Im using that you cant add attributes to the character. You need to leave them with the default attributes. Im not sure if thats changed in the newest demo

Downloaded from the guy's site, server 3, installed, still limits combat.

Nukester

Novice
Apparently server 3 is MultiUpload so it may not be updated yet. They suggest servers 1, 4 or 6 as those are the ones they have direct control over

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom