Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Concord Cancelled

Elttharion

Learned
Sony is killing Concord already lmao

Therefore, at this time, we have decided to take the game offline beginning September 6, 2024, and explore options, including those that will better reach our players.

While we determine the best path ahead, Concord sales will cease immediately and we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased the game for PS5 or PC. If you purchased the game for PlayStation 5 from the PlayStation Store or PlayStation Direct, a refund will be issued back to your original payment method.
Source

tommy heavenly6

Learned

Therefore, at this time, we have decided to take the game offline beginning September 6, 2024, and explore options, including those that will better reach our players.

While we determine the best path ahead, Concord sales will cease immediately and we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased the game for PS5 or PC. If you purchased the game for PlayStation 5 from the PlayStation Store or PlayStation Direct, a refund will be issued back to your original payment method.
Source
Biggest flop ever?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lol, for the few that actually enjoy it, they got to play the game for a whole week. Fastest live service game death ever.

ropetight

Savant

Source
Concord will probably switch to the free-to-play.
It will be interesting to see how much Sony can salvage from this trainwreck.

Elttharion

Learned

Source
Biggest flop ever?
Arguably yes, the 80's E.T. game is the only one that can maybe compete with this

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bez naslova.jpg

GWkEtN3aoAAfIEG

babayaga

Educated
I mean, homm 3 was cool and all, but it’s a dated game with dated, simplified mechanics. Copying it just for the sake of being a spiritual successor is just lame. Who’d want to do the same shit but with modern ugly visuals is beyond me.
let us enjoy our old classics, bi*c* libt*$! *uc$! there's plenty of modern games for you to f**ck off and play:

Concord is no longer on steam LMAO
They took it down just now lol

Nirvash

Liturgist

Source
How do you even free play this?

This game gimmick is about swapping the heroes you play for upgrades, so you can't paywall them.
And the characters are so ugly, and the costumes/skins so shit, good luck at monetizing that.

ferratilis

Magister
Does anyone know what Concord's exact budget was? I've read articles with wildly different figures,ranging from 50 to 250 million.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Does anyone know what Concord's exact budget was? I've read articles with wildly different figures,ranging from 50 to 250 million.
So...

They acquired the sotware house for this.
8 years dev, but "only" 3 under sony.
100+ devs, game is realistic and detailed.
Extensive quality cg trailers and videos.
Game servers.
Dropped the ball on actual marketing but they paid some big streamers.
Whole cg episode from the netflix thing.
Some sweet baby associates bribes?

Yeah, my bet is 200m or more.

Source
How do you even free play this?

This game gimmick is about swapping the heroes you play for upgrades, so you can't paywall them.
And the characters are so ugly, and the costumes/skins so shit, good luck at monetizing that.

You could still paywall the characters.

That said, it’s not going F2P unless it also becomes a completely different game. And becoming a completely different game would cost even more money, and I doubt Sony is looking to dump even more time and money into Concord. I’m almost surprised they even released the game, Concord had a free open beta period and nobody showed up, their peak numbers were only 2,363 people for a free game and they still thought people would pay money for it. Concord wouldn’t even be able to sustain itself as a free game if their player numbers were anything like the open beta.

Elttharion

Learned
No but IIRC napkin math put it at around 100 million for dev costs + what Sony paid for the studio + marketing. They only bought the studio in 2023 so Sony probably only footed a part of the development budget, not sure if they had invested in the studio before the acquisition.

200 million bucks would be a reasonable ammount when you consider the acquisition cost but Sony will prbably fudge the numbers there to not include that number in the budget.

So...

They acquired the sotware house for this.
8 years dev, but "only" 3 under sony.
100+ devs, game is realistic and detailed.
Extensive quality cg trailers and videos.
Game servers.
Dropped the ball on actual marketing but they paid some big streamers.
Whole cg episode from the netflix thing.
Some sweet baby associates bribes?

Yeah, my bet is 200m or more.

The character model are pretty realistic in cutscenes I’ve seen. But the in-game detail... every video I’ve seen of Concord gameplay looks like a game that wasn’t meant to be viewed in first person.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom