Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Confederate Express - what is this I don't even

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by cherry blossom, Dec 22, 2013.

1. cherry blossom Arcane

cherry blossom
    UPDATE - WTF:

You may remember Confederate Express from their recent Kickstarter, especially if you have been watching the Codex
    Show Spoiler
    Kickstarter Watch thread.

Confederate Express is a team-based tactical RPG. The goal of the game is trying to survive while delivering a package from point A to point B. Each successful delivery makes a lot of profit, which can be spent on equipment and hiring better crew members! Packages vary by size, weight and fragility; the harder the delivery, the greater the rewards. Game maps are randomly generated, and each sector is uniquely hand-drawn, so every time you play it is a different and engaging experience!

(a playable rudimentary Unity 3D proof of concept here: http://confederate-express.appspot.com )

WELL, according to their new KS update, they have agreed to help finish another studio's game in return for getting enough funding to meet all of their stretch goals from the KS campaign, essentially ensuring that this will never leave development hell:

Hi everyone!

In this update we have some very exciting news for our backers!

A week before our project's kickstarter was about to end, we have been contacted by a small venture capital investment firm that have offered us funding of our stretch goals! In return, they asked us to help a small development team to finish their current video game project. It was at a very late development stage, and after we estimated completion time being around 2-3 months, we decided to take the offer. That means that almost every single stretch goal of Confederate Express will be implemented!

We do understand the potential risks that this kind of deal has, but we assure you that we have spent a lot of time considering this offer. In the end, we will remain our complete independence, and the project that we will help create will be a part of our portfolio. As a side bonus, we will have an opportunity to use their resources to make Confederate Express a much, much better experience, which always has been our highest priority.

Here is the list of the stretch goals that will be implemented:

[​IMG]

The Second Stage Production will be realized depending on the success of the project that we will help create, and that additional funding was discussed with investors beforehand. At that moment it was wise for both parties to agree on a two-stage funding system, since implementation of any multiplayer experience is a very complex and expensive process that requires a lot of infrastructure and expertise in that particular field.

We have received the initial funding from the investment firm, and have already moved to our new office located in Austin, TX. We will introduce the team as soon as they will be ready to go public with their project, and hopefully you will like it as much as we did! So far it looks awesome.

Thanks for tuning in for this update, and if you have any questions please visit our kickstarter page and leave a comment! Your feedback is always greatly appreciated. Thanks again and see you soon!

But if it does, it might be nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Holy shit this looks p. awesome. Nice graphics and promise of good gore.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Another real time with pause cargo cult JA2 clone to add to the pile.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Horus Arcane

Horus
    Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
    It was going good until i saw this:
    I don't understand how they can saw this as a positive thing in tactical rpg. This game is guaranteed to be filled with thrash mobs at this rate.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/829559023/confederate-express/posts/911522

:avatard: "Hey guys, awesome news! We took your money and made a totally different game!"

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Looking through the comments either the developer is outright fraudulent or is an utter moron incapable of basic communication or socially empathising why people might be concerned/annoyed/angry/seeking refunds at the first update in four and a half months being the announcement of a completely new game.

^ Top  
  7. FuriousGamer87 Arcane Patron

FuriousGamer87
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Nice API name. They should use it as their company name.

^ Top  
  8. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Huh, so the announcement to work on another game already came 1 month after the KS finished? "estimated completion time being around 2-3 months", yeah.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    This is exactly what would happen if the guy making the potato solad made tuna salad instead.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  10. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Or knuckle salad.

^ Top  
  11. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer
    I thought this was going to be a dystopian world where the Confederacy exists.

:(

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    If you hang out in the Politics subforum, you'd see that most codexers would actually believe this to be an utopia.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/829559023/confederate-express/posts/920492

:avatard:

^ Top  
  14. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Holy shit this looks sweet...

^ Top  
  15. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer
    look who you're talking to

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Whiran Magister

Whiran
    This is the best quote from the developer on their new kickstarter project (Knuckle Club) after people started posting Don't Fund This type messages:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. darkpatriot Arcane

darkpatriot
    So he is basically saying that he only thought of confederate express as his personal project that he could handle as he saw fit for his own personal gain and never considered the perspective that confederate express was something that he had an obligation to deliver, to the best of his ability in the fashion and time-frame that he had stated, to the people that gave him money to create it. But because it pisses people off and reveals him as an asshole effecting his relationship with his employer, who only care for PR reasons and the reputation of their company, he will reconsider.

What a generous man.

Apparently it isn't enough that developers can use kick starter get people to pay for the funds to develop a game, all while expecting no kind of ownership or profit compensation like any kind of normal investor would, but they also want the freedom to be able to freely change the scope of, delay, or even drop the project when it suits them without any regard to any obligations to the kickstarter backers.

I'm glad I've never given a penny to a kickstarter project.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    What's the deal with all these zombie shooters?

^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Hooooly shit: http://m.kesq.com/news/squatter-in-palm-springs-also-accused-of-duping-online-gamers/27096438 :lol: :lol:

Kz3r0

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 13
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Fuck. I backed that con.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Unfortunately these 2 bums won't be the last who abuse kickstarter. It's simply too easy. Invest some time into a prototype, ask for 10,000$ and then see how much you can get.

^ Top  
  22. Davaris Australian Game Developers Developer

Davaris
    Yeah, all you need is attractive art and music to make the right mood and most gamers don't think to ask about working features.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I really nailed this one. Don't give someone without a track record money unless you're willing to throw it away. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    no one cares roguey. eat a dick.

• Brofist Brofist x 17
    ^ Top  
  25. Ranselknulf Arcane Patron

Ranselknulf
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    What this sounds like to me is a company came in hired all the people working on the kickstarter and cut him a check.

Now he has no talent to develop his game and he's back at square one. What a dumb ass.

I don't think he intentionally tried to abuse kickstarter, he just has no business sense and literally gave away his concept to another company, and threw in the workers to go with it also.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.