Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Confess in this thread.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I have never finished a Final Fantasy game, the only one i almost finished was FF X which i dropped at Yunalesca. They always feel very corporate unlike Dragon Quest games which are full of SOVL.

The Decline

Arcane
I finished the PS1 remake of the first one using the 8-Bit Theater party and I played though FF7 once, except I used a trainer to bypass the chocobo breeding.

Ereshkigal

Educated
Never played a Dragon Quest game and don't intend to. The fact that the first entry that saw the light in Europe was the PS2 title didn't help.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't really like FFT.
I think Final Fantasy 2 is just as worth playing as 1 and 3.
Despite being objectively better, I just can't love Secret of Mana 2 as much as 1 and I don't know why - nostalgia probably.
I think Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is great fun.
I have a soft spot for Secret of Evermore.
And no matter what I do, I just don't like Dragon Quest at all.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Never beat any tactical game beside Jeanne D'Arc which is probably easiest of the bunch.
Have FFT on the plate but zodiak shenaningans looks confusing.

Jinn

Arcane
They always feel very corporate

Don't really understand this sentiment for any game in the series pre X. X is exactly the point where it began to degenerate into a corporate product. Before that, Amano's concept art was a guiding light and there was always a sense of charm and passion to the worlds, characters, and mechanics. Squaresoft pre-Enix had tons of interesting and experimental projects. The acquisition of Enix, while no fault of the Enix staff, was the point when the soulessness started to creep in.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
  • I think Elden Ring is the worst From Software game since Ninja Blade, despite being technically their best ever and a marvel to the eyes.
  • FFXV is a good and fun open world game (the final stretch of the game with the stealth sections is awful though)
  • Can´t play SNES FF games just because I hate ATB combat system. (Worse than RTWP)

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Contrarily to what I told the police at the time, I sure was complicit of the organization of the illegal party. And if I did not see them coming it is because I was high.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can't believe many of the things I just read. This is bananas.
Oh well, time to lay down my heresy.
  1. Despite bitching about anime and JRPGs often as was my traditional Codexian duty, Xenogears was awesome.
  2. So was Chrono Trigger.
  3. Final Fantasy VI is peak Final Fantasy.
  4. I used to love the shit out of FF VIII. I still think it's way better than VII and IX which are super overrated and kinda trash.
  5. If they'd actually have finished Dragon's Dogma, it would have been the greatest game ever made. Instead it's only like top 5 of all time.
  6. I love Elden Ring THIS MUCH!

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I mostly hate RPGs and think it's a degenerate gaming genre, with just a few exceptions here and there, but even some of the enjoyable ones would not qualify as "good games" when one only considers gameplay in its essence. Also, as I got older, my ability to withstand time wasters - like slow turn animations (lol DOS) or excessive repetitive filler that are just mindless menu spam or mouse clicks has become non existent, I drop these games quickly and won't give a chance to their sequels when I spot them.

Nevertheless, the codex has better taste than average in other game genres, so it's still a good gaming forum even if you hate RPGs. The JRPG board, which talks about any asian game genres and not just trash like the FF series, and the general gaming boards are pretty good things.

Falksi

Arcane
Shit, you meant about games?

1. I've finished every Final Fantasy between 4 and 10 :negative:
2. I've no love for Chrono Trigger at all.
3. I fucking love the new Assasins Creed games from Origins onwards.
4. My fave none-PC system for RPGs is the SEGA Megadrive, I just genuinely prefer how their games are balanced, plus the fact there's more WRPGs on there.
5. Dark Souls 2 is not only my fave Souls game, but I also prefer it to all the other Soulslike games I've played so far too, including Bloodborne
6. When I was 13 my dad's mate Chip wanted me to test out his kids SNES to make sure it worked before giving it him for Xmas, and I swapped all the new pads inside his controllers for all the nackard ones in mine. Disclaimer: Chip's son was a total nob.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I don't see the point in playing more than one Fire Emblem game.
I don't see the point in playing more than one Tales of game.
I've played half a dozen titles of each franchise.

I still hold FF9 as the best suited JRPG for children on every regard. And best entry point in the genre. Also best overall art direction in the series.

Disciple

Savant
  • I enjoyed playing Earthbound Beginnings on a NES emulator, but I could never get into SNES Earthbound for some reason. The game looks good on paper, but I always lose interest 3-4 hours into the game.
  • The change in combat mechanics involving an extra step in the input of battle commands that happens halfway through Dragon Quest IV ruined the game for me and made me quit the first (and only) time I played the game.
  • Crystalis is probably my favourite 8-bit era action-RPG, well ahead of any Ys game.
  • I think that the Pokémon games are an excellent gateway into the genre for younger players.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I like the Monsters spinoff way more than the mainline Dragon Quest series. In fact Monsters is one of the best monster taming game series out there so WHY THE FUCK WAS JOKER 3 NEVER LOCALIZED.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom