Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conquest of Elysium 5

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.illwinter.com/coe5/

ss_7b5a7bdd79a3d8e5c0e415a93d7c52dbf3b91a59.600x338.jpg
ss_655406018c327b0753a0053d6714258a7cfde017.600x338.jpg

Conquest of Elysium 5 is a quick turn based fantasy strategy game with a touch of rogue-like. The game is full of depth, details and monsters. There are also a huge number of factions, each with its own unique gameplay and magic rituals.

The main focus in the CoE series is that each race plays differently. We're not talking about a unique building here and a unique unit there, we're talking about completely different playstyles, with different mechanics and different goals. Perhaps you're playing a druid, focused on amassing a vast forest and jungle empire from which to harvest ingredients to summon creatures of the woods with no practical need to conquer mines. Perhaps you're a dwarf, who's only concern is mines and produce units at a set rate every turn, focused almost entirely on upgrading those units to survive as long as possible since they are so difficult to replace. Perhaps you are a Scourge Lord, who’s pyramids of power drain the very life force from Elysium and channel it to him and his Heralds. With 24 different factions that alone is enough to keep your play dynamic as you vie for control of the map to conquer Elysium.

New for the 5th version of Conquest of Elysium is four additional planes to interact with, boats and ports which enables players to travel to islands beyond the main continent of Elysium, three new factions, new rituals and summons for the existing factions, new battle maps for different fortifications, new independent factions that fight each other, new monsters, more and different random events, and much more.

The game has ten different planes. There is for instance an Infernal plane that is the home of the devils and the demons. So if a demonologist manages to summon a demon lord, there will suddenly be a dark citadel without its master in inferno. Banishing a devil will force it back to inferno instead of slaying it permanently. Although extremely difficult it is possible to permanently destroy a demon lord by storming inferno and slaying it on that plane. Although there are many planes you will only rarely have to visit them. But they continue to run in the background and make certain actions or random events more exciting. Among the new planes in CeE5 is the sky-realm above Elysium. From the clouds flying armies might descend upon the inhabitants of Elysium, only to take to the skies and retreat if their losses were significant. But the clouds are not unattainable. Beanstalks, rainbows and tall mountain spires allow ground-born armies to ascend to the clouds.

Most factions start with a random set of rituals, a random set of combat spells and together with the random map that will ensure that no two games are the same. More rituals and spells can be learned during the game if you have the right resources and find the right locations. In addition to the aggressive wildlife of Elysium there's also random events to contend with, from bumper harvests and bandits, to the very gates of the underworld opening into Elysium. Your hands will be full before you even make contact with the enemy.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Nice, looking forward to it. Hopefully they lessen some of the micromanagement, specially in recruitment.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Here we go again.

Yes, and I hope they fixed the whack a mole marauding hordes of wild animals.

Wait, you didn't enjoy having to plan around massacring the neverending DEER HORDES?

Also, I've finished a shitton of CoE4 games and I still feel I didn't do all the shit I could do in it. Now we have more shit to do and I fear the day when we'll get Dominions 6 and we'll have to invade Hell itself for extra provinces.

(I loved the Hell/Underworld mechanics in CoE4)

Neat. Would be nice if the whack a mole gets toned down a bit but it should be pretty cool. Since I'm a dirty casual I tend to like CoE a bit more than Dominions just because it's more solo-friendly.

rezaf

Cipher
I definitely feel the pain, but the wilderness whack a mole is a huge part of the games DNA.
There is a modding command since forever with which you can make animals never want to enter cities and such, but with that enabled, the game doesn't feel the same anymore.
Besides, it also affects the AI and thus makes the snowballing effect even worse.

I wish they'd address said snowballing at least a little bit - sometimes I quit games even against low level UIs because their armies have become obscenely big - and of course it's much worse when you set an AI to a higher level. In many cases you can still technically win, but this kind of long, grindy slog is just not what I play the game for.

I enjoy the roguelike feel it offers, which is pretty unique for a strategy game, and the richness of the games systems. Like the planes, which I hardly ever bother with. All the units, the spells, the items - I wish they'd capitalize on that even more. Some of the most memorable games i've had where when some off chance stuff happened, like charming a powerful unit and said unit becoming the backbone of my forces. I also managed to play a hybrid class once by charming a high ranking enemy leader, which in turn allowed me to build his citadels and stuff. You cannot do that with a regular charm, iirc it has to be a confusion spell that makes him join you, if you end the fight in that state he remains an actual leader. Its weird happenstances like that make the game what it is.

See, just writing this made me want to fire it up again. I'm excited to see what Illwinter have up their sleeves this time.

Aemar

Arcane
New faction: Cloud Dwellers (birdmen), inhabiting the physical cloud plane above Elysium.
Celestial plane, home of the celestial faction of angels, not playable at this point. They wage war against infernal demons.
Pirates.
Kobold faction.

rezaf

Cipher
Is that fact or a wishlist? Because I can't find that info on the steam page.
Also, that'd be the first faction to start on a seperate plane, I don't know if that'd be a wise decision.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Among the new planes in CeE5 is the sky-realm above Elysium. From the clouds flying armies might descend upon the inhabitants of Elysium, only to take to the skies and retreat if their losses were significant. But the clouds are not unattainable. Beanstalks, rainbows and tall mountain spires allow ground-born armies to ascend to the clouds.
So I guess birdmen is feasible. Pirates would also make sense because of the Steam description:

New for the 5th version of Conquest of Elysium is four additional planes to interact with, boats and ports which enables players to travel to islands beyond the main continent of Elysium

Aemar

Arcane
Is that fact or a wishlist? Because I can't find that info on the steam page.
Also, that'd be the first faction to start on a seperate plane, I don't know if that'd be a wise decision.
ss_5084f64d003b4828341e399db92efa7d8174ba14.jpg

Just some of my own conclusions. This is a screenshot from Steam. The celestial plane has been mentioned by one of the devs on the Steam forums.

So I guess birdmen is feasible. Pirates would also make sense because of the Steam description:
ss_b283f9159818ff76222ad4df209e60ecfe350fe6.jpg

A pirate city is being attacked in this screenshot right here. No idea if pirates will be just neutral factions or an actual playable faction.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
What would REALLY get me excited would be manual control of the battles instead of auto-battles, but that's never gonna happen is it?

Not in their design philosophy, sadly or not. And I can't condemn them, the Illfrauds do games as they like, clunky and weird as they are.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dominions already has some formation control and I wouldn't be against that. CoE and Dom are the few games where I'm fine with the auto combat since there's just so much going on with it. I also think that given direct control to the player would make the games very, very easy since half the challenge comes from hoping that your big dick casters use the OP skills and not the crap ones, that's why everyone has a mix a of insanely powerful, middling and meh spells that you have to choose from.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Hot damn. And here I just finished a few days binge of CoE4 (a baron game, always fun. Cultist game abandoned - too easy. Tried a pale ones rebalance mod - seem very strong. Tried the Lanka mod - not very good).

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
scourgelord.jpg

Ubar/Na'Ba is in. And some nice new terrain sprites and UI.

E: didn't notice at first but pale ones now actually start in Agartha. That's their starting huge cave behind the pale one soldier on the bottom:
ss_50bb3d6251705576d61024675a22516d694f5d51.600x338.jpg

Last edited:

rezaf

Cipher
What would REALLY get me excited would be manual control of the battles instead of auto-battles, but that's never gonna happen is it?

Like others said, it's against the games design principles. Also, this would make the already long games on bigger maps insufferable.

Formations ... maybe. It's still kinda funny to me that a few races / setups became drastically more difficult due to the map no longer being abstracted.
Nowadays, it'd definately be cool if you could send your siege engines and/or archers to the front in a siege, for example. Sucks fighting dwarf strongholds with some other races because you can't in CoE4.

mondblut

Arcane

Not in their design philosophy, sadly or not. And I can't condemn them, the Illfrauds do games as they like, clunky and weird as they are.

There is a reason for that in Dominions, but why bring it into a single-player game?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

There is a reason for that in Dominions, but why bring it into a single-player game?

They would need to create completely new systems that can't be reused with the next Dominions.

And TBF, not really their strength either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom