Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conquest of Elysium 5

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
No. There's a fundamental difference between "this mage should now pick some appropriate spell" and planning an overall magical battleplan. Planning in advance, bringing specific mages with boosters and gems to cast specific battlefield wide spells, assigning roles to mages like buffer, summoner or evoker and placing them appropriately with the correct gems, setting up communions etc. Planning on an army level and not just an individual mage level though that can certainly be improved too.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Instabuy.

I have played for a couple of hours. Here's some highlights or interesting bits:

The UI has been changed a bit, and it took be a moment to find the "end turn" button; it's the upper and leftmost button (the one that shows the season and year, winter in this example) Alternatively, just press 'y' to end turn, and 'n' for next hero.

bONfLKy.jpg

You can plan movements across several turns. If you end the turn, your heroes use their remaining movement points. The camera doesn't focus on the movement, though, but you hear it.

There are now specific "plans" or battle maps for towers, towns, etc. Towers are now small:

skxtoky.jpg

That's me and my punny green kobolds being obliterated by an illusionist (it's only one, the others must be copies) and his army of displacer beasts and phase spiders. That grey thing is, I believe, a rock. Terrain has some features that troops have to navigate around.

A town:

6B6FM5b.jpg

I have only played with kobolds, who can summon dragons. These dragons are tied to a gemstone, so you can summon red, white, green, and blue dragons, as well as the dusk (black) dragon from the unique black kobolds:

mwi2HmF.jpg

(Oh, yeah, that's a dragon with Stealth

Each dragon lives in one great mine, where kobolds also spawn, and they are Stupid, meaning you can't control them. From time to time they attack nearby towns, castles, etc., and conquer them.

At higher levels, you can summon an Elder Dragon.

Flying has been modified, since now flying units can fly upwards (I haven't used it yet) and also get tired if they fly over water bodies. My flying kobold got tired and drowned after a few turns. In fact, I believe my first dragon, evicted by the Elder Dragon I summoned later, drowned in the sea :lol:

I haven't used any ship yet. I believe you need a coastal city to buy them. I have, however, seen a band of neutral pirates on a ship near the coast.

A tip says that if you press 's' you can speed the battles even more than at maximum speed (which I feel is faster than it used to be, too.)

The sprites for ranged attacks are new. They are nice.

The new music is great.

Minor changes or additions I have seen:

-The battle fright condition reduces morale and also changes the unit's rank, so a front unit with battle fright will fight in the middle.
-Giant Ants, IIRC, have a new ability called siege tunneling (they didn't have that, did they?) So I assume other units have been modified, too.
-You can find "treasure" (magic items, I believe) in some places (like in a haunted city.) It doesn't tell you what it is, though, so I had to click on my army to see that my kobold hero now had Boots of Strength
-You can buy at overpize, as usual, but also sell at underprize.
-Sea tiles have kelp forest, which works like sea mountains (3 movement cost.)
-You can Save, Save & Quit, and Resign (quitting.) The latter takes you to the main menu rather than just turning off the game (it also allows you to see the entire map, so maybe this could be exploited.)
-I think there might be invasions from the elemental planes because a volcano (which gives like 5 or 6 rubies per turn) near my HQ suddenly had an army of monsters from the fire plane. I have no idea what happened to the army; it appeared, conquered one of my desert palaces, and then disappeared.

Anyway here are some screenshots:

y7j4Oif.jpg

21vpFIh.jpg

:philosoraptor:

LIZRkMP.jpg

:whiteknight:

When the game tells you kobolds reproduce like rabbits, they are not lying:

VVbERtn.jpg

Last edited:

zapotec

Liturgist
I still don't understand how to make enough money to make an army

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
My thoughts after playing the Cloud Lord for two hours :
Nice class. Many base units that can be recruited with various mix of gold, iron and gems, so that even with a gem or gold deficiency you can recruit units. Rituals use air gems, summons are the same as the air warlock ones, maybe with a few additional units I did not see in my warlock game in COE4. Lot of lightning units means that with few summons you can zap enemy armies effortlessly, but the relatively small number of troops and the weak base resistance of Cloud fighters brings a glass cannon feeling.
The whole flying thing is great for moving around like crazy, not sure on the use of Sky plane. It has very few structures and such is not really interesting to explore, plus it is inhabited by air-based creatures, often with resistance to lighting, so fights are a bit tougher. Looks like there is no wandering units up there, so the few places you can capture are guaranteed to stay yours.
So far quite fun.

Also,the world map seems to have more magical stronghold, libraries or places of interest than previously. Good thing.

Aemar

Arcane
The new planes are The Sky, The Primal Plane, Celestial Realm and finally Aztlan, where the Aztlan demon gods dwell.
What do the planes contain exactly? The Sky must be the realm of the new cloud faction. What about the rest though?

Mortmal

Arcane
Is fighting wildlife less frustrating than in CoE4? These Deers and boars really got out of control...
If anything its harder, sun eagles, giants roaming...A deer stepping in your undefended capital can still end your game.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
The new planes are The Sky, The Primal Plane, Celestial Realm and finally Aztlan, where the Aztlan demon gods dwell.
What do the planes contain exactly? The Sky must be the realm of the new cloud faction. What about the rest though?

Yes, Sky is cloud terrain. You can get there flying, using magic scrolls, and some new and very tall mountains you can climb.

I don't know about the others except for the Celestial Realm. I misclicked and accidentally used a scroll (one-way ticket) that sends you there; there are a fair number of these scrolls, so going to other planes is much easier than in CoE4 (like many people, I never bothered with them.) From what I have seen, it's the plane of El. It has forests, mountains, and settlements. I saw a hamlet and attacked it, but during the combat against the guardians (spearmen, a paladin, and some kind of nasty fiery swords) my commander died so my troops got stuck there. A few turns later, a band of four roaming celestial lions attacked me and killed my troops. So, it seems like a dangerous place, but there are resources to get and I guess more stuff to do. Judging by what I saw in the trailer, where it says you can travel to other planes and kill their lords/gods (like Baal) maybe that's possible in the Celestial Realm, too.

Mortmal

Arcane
Never bothered with planes yet either , won the game just killing the commander in the main plane. Game is super great by the way, i managed a win accidentally just by turning my necromancer to lich than demi lich. Notice immediately the demi lich cannot move except by some teleportation and only where there's corpses , more or less randomly . So thought i was screwed,in fact three turns more and i won . The demi lich port into the enemy capital , solo a giant demon parrot and barely win . Then next turn raise undead in the city , it's surrounded by a sea of undead chaff now. Third turn the priest king try to retake its city with a massive army, but the demi lich just slaughter it all in a super epic battle .whille protected by lesser undeads and city walls .No more enemy commanders left, game won.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The new "Battle report" option to skip auto-playing battles at the beginning of a turn to have instead a message entry like Dominion is a game changer. Not only you can now choose which battles to look at, you also have a basic report to know who died and who was actually useful in your 200+ units doomstack.

Played a bit the Scourge Lord : really fun, but overly reliant on iron. So far so good in Empire age.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
-You can find "treasure" (magic items, I believe) in some places (like in a haunted city.) It doesn't tell you what it is, though, so I had to click on my army to see that my kobold hero now had Boots of Strength
This was in 4 too, though it was even more poorly communicated, if there were defenders you got the regular message after the battle 'found an item, it was x', but if the location was generated without defenders with items and you were the first to capture it (which can rarely happen with haunted cities and I think graveyards and old battlefields), you'd get the items with no message or it just flashed on the screen for a split second.
Speaking of items, there is a lot of new ones, you can also get offers to buy items. Giving spell wands to random spearmen puts them back one rank so they can cast and don't die as fast. Cool.
KSuRKP1.png

Battle reports are great, but sometimes a little wonky at the moment, I've seen ones that don't exactly match what happens in the battle or shit like "green kobold archers killed -3 enemies". I think units dying to effects like poison and burn don't count for kills, so that probably accounts for some of the discrepancies.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The new "Battle report" option to skip auto-playing battles at the beginning of a turn to have instead a message entry like Dominion is a game changer. Not only you can now choose which battles to look at, you also have a basic report to know who died and who was actually useful in your 200+ units doomstack.
This skipping was always in CoE, at least since 3.
But it was a parameter you had to launch the game with instead of an actual option in-game, iirc.

Don't think I ever played without it - I would have gone mad.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Late game with Troll King is still very difficult. You can rolfstomp any unlucky enemy that has their capitol near you, but once inferno starts sending out doomtroops it is gg.

Unless you hide in the forests like a pussy, but that seems so... beta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom