Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conquest of Elysium 5

Dadd

Learned
Been playing this for a while, and it feels like the main approach to every game is to kill weaker enemies, hope to capture enough resources, hope you don't get ambushed, repeat until you're strong enough to kill more weaker enemies. Am I missing something here? I've looked at the manual, watched more experienced players, and it seems like that's what they do mostly, too.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Been playing this for a while, and it feels like the main approach to every game is to kill weaker enemies, hope to capture enough resources, hope you don't get ambushed, repeat until you're strong enough to kill more weaker enemies. Am I missing something here? I've looked at the manual, watched more experienced players, and it seems like that's what they do mostly, too.
Isn't that every game?

Dadd

Learned
Isn't that every game?
Other games tend to involve more input from the player to achieve those things.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sometimes on a whim you go to some mountains to hike. Sometimes you decide to grab back that old guitar laying around. And sometimes you fire CoE and get lost in the madness.

Decided to try the Monkey Maharaja. First game no gems no iron so I had a really difficult start. Then some independent druids decided to open a portal to the Elemental Plane next to my cap, spitting out fully fledged gods on my small territory. It was a blessing in disguise since it did put a quick end to my misery, and I did read the flavour texts for several endgame gods.

Second game I went for an Empire to be sure to have enough resources to grow. Also had the best idea I ever had in CoE : choose myself my opponents to meet new faces and most importantly to be sure there would be NO FUCKING DWARVES AROUND. SERIOUSLY. Worked like a charm, met first a Scourge Lord sowing its obelisks. Did not resist my glorious monkey army and the game quickly became a duel with Pale Ones, surprisingly good foes since they did destroy a fair amount of my troops. The twenty olms stack was a good one I must say. Still won. Some thoughts about monkeys :
- First time I see a faction with both good summons and good regular troops. The bandars are expensive but very well worth their price, bandar archer are elites troops that are good at everything, some of them lasted for most of the game and clocked hundred of kills. I did not find any use for the weaker ones.
- You seem to be able to recruit a surprisingly high number of yogis. They are amazing support casters and in the last form can float around the map, which is fun.
- Summons are expensive and random. There are of two kinds : amazing support wizards and short-lived magical warriors. Plus some archers. A tad underwhelming actually, but somehow effective.
- The drawback is that you need both Iron and Gems and any shortage will be your demise. There is no fallback : without monkeys your precious summons won't hold the line, and without summons your monkeys will stay what they are -monkeys- and will get stomped by any serious foe.
- But when you have both a strange alchemy happens. Your dozens of support mages drench your troops with boons, making them ludicrously resilient, and your boosted archers and melee slowly grind through anything. In the end you have a full doomstack of human-sized creatures that can take on armies several times its size, even loaded with huge endgame monsters. It really is to behold once, and a refreshing change from the classical big monsters summons from most factions.
- The late endgame summons are nice, and the Destroyer of World is everything that is stupidly great about this game. I wish someday I could field it against a full-retard Voice of El player (I wonder which other nations have an "everybody loses" button).
- In the end it was good fun and I heartily recommend the Monkey Maharaja.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of grabbing the old guitar, i myself played a relatively short game with the evil monkey counterpart - Raksharaja.
Somewhat similar in playstyle, only instead of gems you collect sacrifices and most of your summons are undead.
Didn't have any luck with getting demon summoning rituals. A lot of rituals i did get were focused on turning your tiles invisible or masking your troops as different troops. Didn't utilise those, they seem more interesting to use in multiplayer.
Managed to summon a god right before finishing off the Dryad Queen, it was a good game.
Edit: Also, Kala-Muhka warriors are absolutely worth that ridiculous price.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom