Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control - supernatural third person action-adventure from Remedy

kangaxx

Arbiter
It isn't fully David Lynch, but the whole thing is kind of ethereal/dream-like/surreal from the word "go". The way the characters talk to each other is strange considering the events of the game, for example. I never played Alan Wake to compare though.

JDR13

Arcane
I heard it's more of an X-Files vibe, but I haven't played it myself.

As for their other games, I loved Max Payne but found Alan Wake boring and derivative. Is Quantum Break any good?

orcinator

Liturgist
Finished the main quest in AWE.
They didn't bother sending you to the town from Alan Wake, instead you get the same concrete office/industrial environments (but there's a mock-up of a side of a barn in the boss fight).
Pretty boring overall, the light gimmick doesn't get used in any clever way and the only new enemy is the Hartman boss (who shoots homing projectiles that made me remember I had a shield power)
There's a couple side missions, wonder if it follows the pattern of the base game where they're better than the mandatory content.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
DRM-free
incline.png

It already was on Epic.

orcinator

Liturgist
Elements of X-Files I suppose, but I think that's pushing it. This is more surreal and nightmarish.
It's SCP but without the part where you interact with the weird shit in any interesting manner besides a couple instances where an SCP is a boss you have to shoot (and that one luck puzzle I missed out on, I guess).

Last edited:

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Since the game recently came to PC, is it worth the purchase with the 20% sale? Or wait for a better one?

kangaxx

Arbiter
Since the game recently came to PC, is it worth the purchase with the 20% sale? Or wait for a better one?

So far I'd say so, it comes with the DLCs as well on Steam. Part of the answer to the question is "do you have ray tracing now or are you planning to get it at some point?" If the latter then I'd wait until then to play it... it makes quite a big impact on the graphics.

orcinator

Liturgist
Having finished the side quests (we got two find the dot to press F at quests and one simple puzze quest) I can say with certainty that the Alan Wake DLC is fittingly shit.

J1M

Arcane
I heard it's more of an X-Files vibe, but I haven't played it myself.

As for their other games, I loved Max Payne but found Alan Wake boring and derivative. Is Quantum Break any good?
I finished Quantum Break. Can't say that about Alan Wake or Control.

It helped that Quantum Break has short TV episodes meant to be watched between chapters. They weren't amazing, but it helped inject some variety. Also helped that the lead actors were significantly better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom