Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Controversial opinions about RPGs that you know deep down are true.

PrettyDeadman

Stop posting. Get some help.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
this one is about rpgs in particular though, your was general gaming

tbh I only made it because I really wanted to make the bloodlines jokes so w/e I guess

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Many older RPGs are highly overrated. They used to be great at the time but much better games coming out along the years have made them entirely obsolete.

I disagree. They offer much more than modern games. Comparing Morrowind to Skyrim for eg, no levitation, no spellmaking, no teleport, no jump, no mark/recall, no attributes, no classes, no polarms <<<insert more 50000 things>>>> and the unique thing that skyrim brought who worth is the vampire lord form and better graphics.

------------------

My unpopular opinion : JRPG's like FF VII/chrono trigger are not true RPG's and are boring as hell. The uniques RPG's from Japan who are true RPG's, are the most "western like",

Ultra unpopular opinion : Swords should be at beast an backup weapon, in any RPG, doesn't matter if is high/low/no fantasy setting. And polearms needs much more love.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
My unpopular opinion : JRPG's like FF VII/chrono trigger are not true RPG's and are boring as hell.

Wow, such a controversial opinion to have on this forum, I'm absolutely sure no other posters share it. You're very brave to come out like that.

What are you going to say next, that Fallouts 1 & 2 were better than 3?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why? Polearms make sense when you are fighting in formation, like phalanx. In a small party, like 4-6 people, swords are much more practical.

Not true. And note, you in RPG's mostly fight larger creatures and armored enemies. Swords are awful in both situations, an poleaxe or an spear is much more adequate to kill an boar who is charging at you. An interesting video

What are you going to say next, that Fallouts 1 & 2 were better than 3?

Yes, Fl1/2 is better than 3... And worse than New Vegas(that is controversial, new vegas is the best fallout IMO)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So according to some...... ALL games are SHIT? Uhhhh..... Why game at all then? Take up napping in a rocking chair or something at a retirement home.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
VtM:B sucks
Arcanum sucks
D:OS2 is proof a TB game can be worse than RtWP
Witcher 1 would have been better if I didn't have to keep clicking like a rhythm game
Morrowind sucks, especially Tribunal (but the concepts and world are cool)
Diablo 2 is more mindless than WoW and any game where you have to beat it 3 times to unlock the "good" difficulty is shit

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why? Polearms make sense when you are fighting in formation, like phalanx. In a small party, like 4-6 people, swords are much more practical.

A sword is a sidearm. While there are situations where it's more useful than a polearm, like when you're fighting in an enclosed space, it was generally used as a backup weapon. The big advantage of a sword is that you can put it away and hang it on your belt, which is something you can't do with a spear or a poleaxe. Ancient and medieval warriors used swords the same way that modern soldiers use pistols: you keep it on your hip and take it out if your main weapon breaks or gets lost.

Only the Roman legions used swords as their primary weapon and even then they only drew their swords after throwing their javelins. And that was dudes fighting in formation, not a squad of six guys.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If cRPGs were actually good they wouldn't need to resort to Kickstarters and nostalgia bux to survive. cRPGs are the videogame equivalent of Anita Sarkeesian's videos. A niche genre for a niche audience, which by no means translates to "it's actually great, you just don't get it!".

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you said "but they're not RPGs" I wouldn't be able to argue, but no, they sometimes have good gameplay. :M

Which?

I've played the Final Fantasy series, most of the Dragon Quest series (hated pretty much all of them), some of Fire Emblem series (hated it), and then:
some Phantasy Star games, Secret of Mana, MOTHER, EarthBound, MOTHER 3, Chrono Trigger, some Pokemon games and some shit games I can barely remember like Breath of Fire.

I liked a few of those games (mainly just Final Fantasy and EarthBound) but I wouldn't say any of them have particularly strong gameplay. The best you can hope for is that the combat isn't actively awful, and that the game doesn't force you to grind at certain points.
Alright, by good gameplay it has to be specified that I mean a good overall gameplay experience, and that it's acceptable to have individual mechanics that are mediocre. If not, it would be unfair to western RPGs since they often have mediocre individual mechanics as well.

I can come up with: Shin Megami Tensei games, Etrian Odyssey, Dragon's Dogma, Sengoku Rance, FF Tactics, Valkyria Chronicles, and yes, Pokemon games.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
f cRPGs were actually good they wouldn't need to resort to Kickstarters and nostalgia bux to survive. cRPGs are the videogame equivalent of Anita Sarkeesian's videos.

Yes, because Pathfinder Kingmaker was not on the top of most sold steam games on the last summer sale /sarcasm

AAA don't produce cRPG's because they make games to be played by Teletubbies.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
@loling at weeabos and action RPGs trying to be justified

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom