Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Copper Dreams Kickstarter Campaign is Live

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, May 13, 2016.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Copper Dreams; Whalenought Studios

The Kickstarter campaign for Copper Dreams, the next RPG from Serpent in the Staglands developers Whalenought Studios, is now live. Joe and Hannah have put together a very impressive pitch explaining every aspect of the game: the 80s-style offworld cyberpunk setting, the focus on verticality and movement in an isometric environment, the weapons and cybernetic equipment, the complex implementation of stealth and infiltration, the unique asynchronous turn-based combat system, and the previously described health and resting mechanics. Here's the pitch video, which includes some cool-looking alpha gameplay footage, and an overview:

We’re so excited to be back on Kickstarter with our new game, Copper Dreams! It's an isometric, party-based, turn-based, pen-and-paper-inspired game in a dystopian cyberpunk setting. Think an isometric Escape from New York, or Deus Ex.

As an Agent of Asset Inquiries that syndicates hire to gather items, intel and citizens of value, you'll often be put through sensitive situations not to win but to minimize your level of failure and tackle conflicts with clever stealth (or lots of bullets).

Our previous successful Kickstarter, Serpent in the Staglands, featured a no-handholding philosophy, an open world, and challenging puzzles. We got a lot of great feedback and learned a lot from the experience, and have moved forward with a new RPG we think you'll love with even more systems and mechanics to support this gameplay style.

Copper Dreams emphasizes the adventures that happen between quests and narrative events, which can be just as fun, unexpected and dangerous. To enable this, the player will traverse a cyberpunk world while scaling buildings, taking part in turn-based combat between humans, robots and many other types of foes, all while managing their character’s health through a detailed system of physical ailments.

Players have many tools to help them succeed in their missions. The player can engage in espionage gathering, modifying and upgrading weapons and disabling or killing enemies by targeting specific body parts. To do this justice we've designed a ruleset from the ground up we call the Burning Candle to work with all these mechanics.
    You can secure a copy of Copper Dreams for just $15, with beta access for $25 and alpha for $35. The campaign's funding goal is $40,000, with stretch goals for an enhanced soundtrack and voice acting going up to $60,000. The game is scheduled to be released on March 2017. Let's hope they make it - Kickstarter isn't what it used to be.

P.S. Don't forget to vote for Copper Dreams on Steam Greenlight!

• Brofist Brofist x 28
    ^ Top  
  2. Western Arcane

Western
    Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Regretted not backing Serpent in Staglands, so backed.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  3. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    They could had put a tier with the "Serpent in Staglands" or as an addon.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  4. Western Arcane

Western
    Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Not a bad idea Whalenought_Joe

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    CRPGs finally moving forward.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  6. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    IMO run a sale in the first week so people have time to sample their first offering and convert some of those buyers towards the end of the campaign.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, if it's included in a pledge tier, they lose an opportunity to convert skeptics they would have otherwise acquired with a sale (they wouldn't get SitS until the project funds).

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  7. shadow9d9 Learned

shadow9d9
    The interface of SitS was such a nightmare. Not worth it. This game also looks ridiculously ugly... Still backed it because it is turn based...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    :incline:

Show Spoiler

Resident Evil 1
    [​IMG]

Vagrant Stroy
    [​IMG]

Metal Gear Solid 1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:hmmm:

EDIT: Those were pre-alpha screen shots, which are going for Metal Gear Solid/Vagrant Story aesthetics. I think they'll look a lot better after production is complete.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    No codex friendly fundraising tier! What's the point of pledging if we can't fuck it up with our stupid in-jokes?

:decline:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Single person turn based combat.

Meh.

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  13. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Backed and waiting for Codex fundraiser. I'm rollin in the riches.

:takemymoney:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I still have such a huge crush on both of them. Also this looks great. Insta-backed.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  15. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Doh. Well the video did not show that and I got way to much stuff going on to read a description.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Maybe I'll throw some into the Codex fundraiser if when this gets funded. Love me those Collector's boxes!! And their manual from SitS was really nice so definitely looking forward to this one!!

• Brofist Brofist x 17
    ^ Top  
  17. Nekot-The-Brave Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nekot-The-Brave
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Pledged $255, hope this gets funded.

• Brofist Brofist x 16
    ^ Top  
  18. imweasel Guest

imweasel
    These guys remind me of the Sierra founders for some reason.

Anyway, it looks great and I love the setting (80's SciFi FTW). BACKED!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Korron Arbiter Patron

Korron
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    They're the indie darlings of the kodex whether they wanted to be or not. Gotta support them. :takemymoney:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  20. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Physics-based grenades should be fun

:thumbsup:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. sstacks Arcane

sstacks
    Backing, don't forget to vote on the steam greenlight thingy.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. cruelio Savant

cruelio
    This, but without backing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Oooooooooh. Turn-based with simultaneous resolution, something like Laser Squad Nemesis. Very, very tasty.

The 3D traversal looks really cool too. I was expecting something much flatter, like SITS, Underrail, Fallout, etc.

I already enjoy that the save system is tied to cell signal level.

I'm a little nervous about the time and injury system. If I take a serious wound, will I end up just reloading a save instead of going to the hospital for too long and failing the mission as a result? Hopefully that cell signal is pretty weak most of the time.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Hell fucking yes. Backed so hard.

(ps - cutest development team of all time)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Depending on the mission you may be able to just sneak by enemies instead of fighting. From what I understand it may be difficult going for the waste everyone approach so a combo of stealth and combat may be required to successfully complete some missions. Also from what I understand you may be able to use environmental interactions+skills to lessen the number of opponents in a level.

Won't know until I playtest an actual in-game level myself but those are some of the gameplay goals as far as I know.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.