Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Copper Dreams Kickstarter Update #12: Massive Development Report

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Copper Dreams; Whalenought Studios

Joe and Hannah of Whalenought Studios have published the first Copper Dreams Kickstarter update since the game's campaign concluded in June. This update has been anticipated for quite a while and it doesn't disappoint. It's a truly massive list of some (but not all!) of the things that they've worked on over the summer. Various elements of the game have been changed, the most notable being the switch from standard point-and-click movement to a more retro "click-and-hold" design inspired by Ultima 7. The art style has also been changed, as the low fidelity "3D pixel art" style from the Kickstarter campaign was found to be unworkable in practice. The combat system has been tweaked and a Frozen Synapse-ish action planning mechanic has been implemented, usable both in and out of combat. I'll quote that part of the update:

Syncing movement styles for combat and tactical mode

Tactical mode is a mode of gameplay designed to allow you to plan movements while the game is paused. Using your pawns you can move your party around, following or each doing their own thing, and confirming it will have them execute whatever actions you had them do, upon which it will automatically pause again when complete. When the game is paused during tactical mode the world and other NPCs are also paused, and only resume their actions while your party is executing their pre-ordained orders.

Combat and tactical mode now use the same movement mechanics as normal exploration as well, synchronizing the gameplay experience and giving you all the benefits you have with interactions, jumping and careful positioning while exploring and sneaking. This not only makes for a cohesive movement system, but gives you that same precision to dodge narrow line of sights, take the long way around a wall to evade, or jump up onto some rafters and interact with the environment to get around in a dynamic way in combat. You can project your course and confirm or redo it, to make sure you execute on what exactly you want to do.

Since the camera is character-focused, we've also added in a combat-bar pause, so you can tab between different characters at will to get a scope of the environment from their perspective as needed.​

Combat Changes

While combat visuals, pacing and usability is still getting tweaked for the alpha, the ruleset hasn't changed from what we've described in the Kickstarter. Since removing the move tiles during combat there were some usability changes, like distance is now a unit of length, rather than a tile, and you can now throw onto any surface, instead of a floor tile.

We'll be looking for feedback on the flow of combat in the alpha dealing with executing time and recovery. It's a balance between pacing and being able to comprehend different character actions that could be happening simultaneously and keeping things flowing in realtime naturally.

One thing we did change on the bar was the idea of the original three states:

1. Wait
2. Turn
3. Execute

To instead be:

1. Turn
2. Recovery

We think this is a bit more intuitive. Functionally it is similar, there is a temporary initiative bar that appears to roll people into combat or add them in later if they engage. Turn encapsulates both the original turn and execute, and when done executing their actions, characters flow into recovery. Post recovery, they pop back to be able to take another turn. Recovery is something we're adding into the ruleset to act as a more dynamic wait time, which was originally a static amount of seconds for everyone. Recovery time is accrued through what type of actions are taken during a turn. Running a long distance with jumping requires more recovery than just tossing a grenade.

To make characters even more mobile in combat we're expanding the original 'quickshot' movement system to be for all actions. A characters turn now always allows a move and action. Moving beyond a quick-move limit allows them only to move that turn for a longer distance.
Other topics addressed in the update include lighting, user interface, items, and the game's groovy new logo. It's got a whole bunch of short gameplay videos demonstrating all those features, so be sure check out the full thing. According to the update, the Copper Dreams alpha is still scheduled for release this year, and there should be more updates about it coming soon, as well as blog posts on Whalenought's website about the topics that didn't make it into this one.

sstacks

Arcane
So much cool stuff in this update (takes a while to read). Really looking forward to this game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
New control and camera scheme is terrible, for console controllers, not PC M&K master race. Fuck!
It supports WASD. I think if they make the click-and-hold to move toggleable- i.e. hit a key and the character(s) follow the mouse, rather than having to hold down the mouse key, it would be more user friendly.

Aenra

Not fond of that either.. definitely not an Ultima highlight, or an Ultima 'feature' come to that; game was neither made or unmade by it. On the contrary :)
May be just me, but i often find this type of movement to be restricting (gameplay-wise), or at the least needlessly taxing (fingers). Why.. The outcome is precisely the same, character moves. Why complicate when there's no benefit, no extra depth?

Be old school where it counts. Don't just pick shit and emulate them.

Other than that, must admit this last update managed to tempt me, which says a lot considering my initial misgivings.. it definitely looks promising. Might have been too (sorry) if it wasn't for the fucking combat. RTwP and phase-based weren't bad enough, we needed their offspring too. Just me, but hell no. Again though, it sure looks good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Excidium II I'd be interested in hearing the reason for your apparent approval of "click and hold" movement. (I have no problem with it myself, but curious)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Just seems the practical choice to me. This is a game full of verticality and different ways to traverse the enviroment, how is the game going to guess the path you wanted to take when you clicked somewhere?

Better to click and hold than plot movement constantly with click click click click

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just seems the practical choice to me. This is a game full of verticality and different ways to traverse the enviroment, how is the game going to guess the path you wanted to take when you clicked somewhere?

Better to click and hold than plot movement constantly with click click click click
He used diablo as example, diablo allows both movement options.

ArchAngel

Arcane
New control and camera scheme is terrible, for console controllers, not PC M&K master race. Fuck!
It supports WASD. I think if they make the click-and-hold to move toggleable- i.e. hit a key and the character(s) follow the mouse, rather than having to hold down the mouse key, it would be more user friendly.
That is even worse as I now need to use both hands to move?! Fuck that. Why change stuff that works well in other game.

himmy

Arcane
1. LOVING the logo.
2. Click and hold is k. Will feel weird for the first 20 minutes, and then absolutely natural.
3. Some of the screenshots made three words pop-up in my head which I believed to be so unassailable that my brain usually stores them separately: Isometric Deus Ex.
4. Branwen and Ajantis are dope.

sstacks

Arcane
A lot of the choices they are making are the 3D + 2D + Isometric. I'm agonna wait and get my hands on it before I make a judgement. But this was a great update from the devs not just hey we're working on it fluff.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Someone should photoshop the game's art and title onto a 1998 edition of PC Gamer.

That's not a bad thing, I like this kind of retro graphics. Finally something other than huge pixels

daveyd

Savant
That is even worse as I now need to use both hands to move?! Fuck that. Why change stuff that works well in other game.

Now how am I supposed to jerk off and play this game at the same time?!?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom