Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Copper Dreams Kickstarter Update #17: Gameplay Video, Block 24 Alpha Coming In February

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Copper Dreams; Whalenought Studios

Whalenought Studios have published an end-of-year Copper Dreams Kickstarter update to announce that the game's alpha test is now scheduled for release in February. The alpha will involve a raid on a location called Block 24, a syndicate stronghold crawling with hostile agents. It's not entirely clear, but it sounds like the release will actually consist of several versions of the mission, each one aiming to test a different aspect of the game corresponding to its core design principles. Joe and Hannah have put together a new gameplay video showcasing some of the features we'll get to play with. The graphics still need work, but there's a lot of cool stuff here:

We’re working around the clock to get a build ready for you all, so expect some news on that final date shortly. For $35+ backers, we'll be sending out information about getting a key in late January. Everyone else, expect your beta keys in the next couple months!

The alpha build will have some varying options for you test out a raid on Block 24, a syndicate stronghold full of petrified civilians and hostile agents. There will be a normal, mission-oriented version, as well as more mechanics-focused ones to mess around with in the playground-like map:
  • Golden-gun mode for one-hit kills
  • Don't get caught mode
  • Machine-gun mode
  • A few super secret modes to unlock if you beat previous modes
They should give a range of options to test for balancing and how things feel. We'll be mainly looking for feedback on our 3 vertical slice tests, which we'll describe below. After further iteration on the alpha-mission with your feedback, our next milestone is updating the build of the game with the first of the main campaign maps to check out, which we’ll just be doing in chunks.

1 — Visualizing step-by-step actions within turns

Goal: The entire game-world is built with turns that are visualized with ticks (.25 sec intervals in gameplay). In combat your individual actions take a certain amount of time, and then dictate when your world stops for another turn.

Execution: Play cat and mouse noise with an enemy combatant with turns, get into a firefight, and then lose enemy and have them return to patrolling. This has most of these mechanics that can be telegraphed easily with in-game notifiers and the tick display.

2 — Gameplay impactful damage and resources

Goal: Character damage should encourage a change of tactics, and be mechanically as profound as the damage. This needs to be done in a fun way, not to impede gameplay.

Execution: Attacking an enemy in the legs results in slowing their move speed. Attacking in the arms reduces aim quality, attacking in head lowers sight and hearing. Enemies will react to this and change tactics appropriately.

3 — Accessible environments, movement, and tools

Goal: Moving around the world needs to be simple and intuitive and not require any hand-eye coordination. The interface bar needs to give easy access to any available player skills equally, to establish an equal importance between them during gameplay. Sensory mechanics for both NPCs and the player need to be easily visualized within the 3d maps and with height.

Execution: A combination of auto-movement changes and manual toggles to navigate around an environment by running, walking, and sneaking, then climbing, jumping across a gap, crawling through a vent, ascending a ladder, swimming, manually jumping over a trap, and then manually opening and closing a door. Get every skill a player can put character points in within a click away on a uniform dock-like interface.

The update also has a section about Whalenought's ongoing work creating Copper Dreams' distinctive character model faces, including backer faces. There will be a variety of visual modifiers for character faces. For example, if your character is a veteran of "Ci-War 2000", his face will be scarred.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks good, except the goofy civilian Monthy Python walk and I don't understand that smoke effect. Is that the effect of all gun fire?

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't follow the project, what were those yellow clouds on the combat? Bullet traces? Missiles? Kinda confused.

ceics

Novice
Patron
Got a strong JA2 vibe about the combat at some point in the video :o

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
I don't follow the project, what were those yellow clouds on the combat? Bullet traces? Missiles? Kinda confused.

Bullet traces, different ammunition have different colors, but they'll be more subtle in the future. Projectiles can be mouse-hovered to see their path and tiles they'll hit in their next tick, but a tracer visual made it a lot easier to just at-a-glance for its orientation. Those smokey effects are a temp fix for a Windows/Linux shader issue we were having though, our intended one was a bit more thin and less cruise missiley, but we filmed all that on Linux so made due.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Bullet traces, different ammunition have different colors, but they'll be more subtle in the future. Projectiles can be mouse-hovered to see their path and tiles they'll hit in their next tick, but a tracer visual made it a lot easier to just at-a-glance for its orientation. Those smokey effects are a temp fix for a Windows/Linux shader issue we were having though, our intended one was a bit more thin and less cruise missiley, but we filmed all that on Linux so made due.
Thanks, I was worried that on the end game you and your enemies would exchanging cruise missiles.

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
you and your enemies would exchanging cruise missiles.

thinking-face_1f914.png
Now that we're saying it...

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Fenix

I hope it won't reminds if fully, because I coudn't play it because of its "everything in turns, even outside of combat" madness.

Agree - it was annoying. All in all game had great soundtrack, enjoyable combat and cyberpunk "feel".

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Definitely getting an Escape from New York vibe. Really hyped for this one!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom