Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
English version of Corpse Party: Book of Shadows has just been released. It ditches the 16-bit style in the previous game, which is somewhat of a drawback for me (though some may find the first person point & click interface to be more immersive), but it's still full of screaming girls and bloody ends.

Couldn't find any gameplay vids except for this:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I never played Corpse Party, how is it?

And yeah, it seems very tense with that first person pov and that soundtrack...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Basically you run around collecting items and using them to advance, just like any other adventure game. The plot is linear and divided into multiple chapters, each focusing on a different protagonist. Despite the linearity, lengthy bad endings abound, and there are some pretty creepy ones. The criteria to avoid (or get) these bad endings isn't always intuitive (the first game is somewhat worse about this than the sequel) though.

The voice acting is overall superb (the screams and gurgles are a highlight), and the 3D surround sound when you're using headphones helps plenty with the immersion. There's a couple of effective scenes where they project the voices as if speaking directly into your ear.

thesecret1

Arcane
Played this the other day. Playing through the first game in the series prior to this one is mandatory, knowledge of the game's plot is expected. There are no minigames or such, it's a visual novel with some interaction elements – you can choose where you go on the map, make the occassional decision, and find shit hidden around. Your decisions and shit you find then determines whether you get to the true end of a chapter, or get a wrong end.

Haven't finished it yet, but so far it's more of the same – if you liked the first game, you will probably like this one too because it's the same kind of story, but with better visuals and more spotlight on side characters.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Sound and effect looked pretty good. For VN I quite like the idea of horror inspired games. Tbh, I swear I had a dream of this game but it was more like irl than anime. The theme seemed spot on but world was a bit more dystopian. It is on a list for when a sale happens.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It was a fantastic dream though with hidden rooms, objects to collect, and hallways and deadends everywhere. And spirits and zombies were trying to kill and trick those who were still alive. Just weird.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik

gcLmHVk.jpg

7w9BFdM.jpg

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I really have to finish Corpse Party 2021, but it's too much of an 'alt-tab into a walkthrough' game for my patience these days.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also, 'Published by XSEED', once upon a time those words would bring joy, now it's just a chasm of emptiness.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Did they create a similar packet for the first game? I noticed the Evil Dead had one hell of a package back in the day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom