Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Could any of you morons...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I watched this scene on youtube, and the only thing I thought was 'whoa, this is so The Witcher'.

Replace 'Gray Wardens' with 'Witchers' and 'tainted blood' with 'mutagen', and voilla!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
I watched this scene on youtube, and the only thing I thought was 'whoa, this is so The Witcher'.

Replace 'Gray Wardens' with 'Witchers' and 'tainted blood' with 'mutagen', and voilla!

Huh. I was thinking: "The whole game stinks of The Witcher, except that scene and the fact the writing is worse."

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, I meant the books, not the game. The game doesn't show the witcher initiation rite, but it's mentioned in the prologue.

Panthera

Scholar
Gragt said:
You know, reading this kinda makes me want to get DA so I can see what the fuss is all about. But that means ignoring Gothic 2 for a few more months and I really want to see what the fuss is about that game.

I'm torn between two sides ...

I've been playing Gothic 2 instead of buying DA, too!

Vault Dweller said:
Children. You're stating the same shit over and over again without making any fucking sense. So far the "arguments" are:

- it's cheesy and I hated it
- it's not what I wanted
- I'M VERY ANGRY ABOUT VIDEO GAMES!!!
- Duncan didn't behave like a fatherly figure I wanted him to be
- Duncan isn't a nice person
- Duncan didn't do enough to save that man's life!
- Killing people is wrong
- Not enough action

:facepalm:

Guy drinks from cup and dies and Duncan goes into T_T mode, mourning the red shirt with all his wickle heart... and then he guts the recruit who fails to show the proper grimdark reaction.

Answer: Dunkin' Donuts has split personality syndrome and should take medicine... or perhaps it's just a poorly thought of scene which serves no other purpose but to show what A MATURE GAME THIS IS AND IF YOU THINK ANY HARDER ABOUT IT YOU SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING IT LOL WHAT DO YOU WANT DEEP DIALOGUE GO PLAY PS:T FAGGOT

WHAT DO YOU WANT DEEP DIALOGUE GO PLAY PS:T FAGGOT

planescape.jpg

/ogreogre

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
Well, I meant the books, not the game. The game doesn't show the witcher initiation rite, but it's mentioned in the prologue.

Oh. In that case you're right. Except The Trials from TW were a lot longer.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
DA >TW

MANY GAMES > TW

Not hard to do.

As for thes cene... my biggest beef it is completely illogical that somehwo the Wardens actually thought that Jory was worthy of being one of them in the firts palce. Why the fuck would they recruit a guy like? There is no logic. The momment Duncan recruited him is the moment Duncan signed Jory's death warrant.

Afterall, Duncan is the guy who refers to the PC as being made of tough Warden matterial, and that's why he wnats to reruit you. Jory - in the limited time you spend with him - shows quite clearly that he's nothing like that. He should have never been taken from his wife and child. Total,and utter bullshit.

Besides, the Wardens are supposed to be proetcting the innocent and fragile - not murdering them in cold blood.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Armacalypse said:
Duncan isn't characterized properly enough to tell if he's a fanatic, psychopath, or if he was just forced to do it because of some gray warden rule.

Wouldn't it be neat if the inevitable sequel has Loghaire proven right about them when the other grey wardens arrive from outside of Ferelden?

The mere fact that it was still a secret was stupid. Large numbers of Grey wardens have been in existence for a long time, the secret hasn't been let out yet? Just looking at the guy who got killed by duncan. Had he lived instead of you, of course he would have told his wife and everyone would know about it, the grey wardens would be then be feared throughout the world instead of respected as the highest order of knights. Hell, one would ask why you haven't told your party members about it (Do you? Haven't played the entire game yet). That alone should be enough to start rumors everywhere.

Killing the guy instead of just disarming him and forcing him to drink. I mean, if we are going to be extreme, then you realize his only choice is going to be to die by the sword, die by the blood, or live. Here I think Bioware lapsed, they should have had Duncan pin him and force it down as throat while he died. It would make more sense from Duncan's point of view as well, the man would at least have a chance of becoming a Grey Warden.

Also, Bioware badly fucked up the earlier part, giving away who was going to die. You don't think I would realize that 2 out of the 3 people who joined my party aren't gaining experience? :lol:

Mackerel

Augur
Volourn said:
As for thes cene... my biggest beef it is completely illogical that somehwo the Wardens actually thought that Jory was worthy of being one of them in the firts palce. Why the fuck would they recruit a guy like? There is no logic. The momment Duncan recruited him is the moment Duncan signed Jory's death warrant.
I agree with this. Almost all the scenes with Jory were pretty blatant in showing that he wasn't cut out for the Grey Wardens, indeed the point was belabored to death. As such, it was no surprise at all when he was killed, refusing to drink the blood had very little to do with the choice to kill him in my opinion, and I could only wonder why he was chosen in the first place.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Overweight Manatee said:
It would make more sense from Duncan's point of view as well, the man would at least have a chance of becoming a Grey Warden.

And why the fuck would you want a guy who is absolutely not willing and who obviously can't be trusted? Yeah, it's harsh but it also makes perfect sense.

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
DA >TW

MANY GAMES > TW

Not hard to do.

Afterall, Duncan is the guy who refers to the PC as being made of tough Warden matterial, and that's why he wnats to reruit you. Jory - in the limited time you spend with him - shows quite clearly that he's nothing like that. He should have never been taken from his wife and child. Total,and utter bullshit.

Besides, the Wardens are supposed to be proetcting the innocent and fragile - not murdering them in cold blood.
Did you ask Jory about his background? He explained how he won a local fighting tournmant and as-such as approached by Duncan and willingly recruited - he was never "taken" from his family. He WANTED to join up, and only after arriving did he realize what kind of shit he'd gotten himself into.

"I listened to tales of the Grey Wardens and dreamt one day, I, too would ride a gryphon into battle against slavering monsters."

Source: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Ser_Jory

It's pretty clear that Duncan is desperate for any possible recruit, especially considering that anyone - no matter how promising they are initially - can clearly die during the Joining ceremony.

Also, the Wardens are not about protecting the innocent and fragile. They are about keeping the world safe from the Darkspawn no matter what that takes. In the Mage origin, there's a point where Duncan very-much implies he would gladly allow Mages to use Blood Magic if it would help win the battle against the Darkspawn.

The instant Jory became a possible threat to the future of the Wardens - and thus potentially the safety of the world - he was doomed.

Trash said:
Overweight Manatee said:
It would make more sense from Duncan's point of view as well, the man would at least have a chance of becoming a Grey Warden.

And why the fuck would you want a guy who is absolutely not willing and who obviously can't be trusted? Yeah, it's harsh but it also makes perfect sense.

As a mage, during my part of the introduction I sure as hell was not to be trusted. I fucking aided and abetted a dangerous criminal who escaped justice, this guy happens to love his family.

Besides, given how the secret is so well kept after all these years, even when recruits like him are allowed to go through (what if he had drunk it first, willingly? He would most definitely told his family about what happened after seeing a comrade killed), I can only assume that drinking it somehow changes the person to be loyal to the grey wardens or something. I can make no sense of it otherwise.

Trash said:
Yeah, but you were willing to be a grey warden and are therefore usefull. He isn't.

Was he? I think he didn't want to die. He was perfectly fine fighting monsters with you, his only fear was dieing from the stupid poison he would be forced to drink. Get that out of the way and he would make no less of a warden then the player. Other then the fact that he can't gain experience :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Did you ask Jory about his background? He explained how he won a local fighting tournmant and as-such as approached by Duncan and willingly recruited - he was never "taken" from his family. He WANTED to join up, and only after arriving did he realize what kind of shit he'd gotten himself into."

I asked. I'm not talking about Jory's point of view. I'm talking about Duncan's point of view. Duncan doesn't come across as a moron. He also seems to be able tell what's what so it should have been obvious to him that Jory was not cyt out to be a Grey Warden. The very first convo with Jory made it very clear that Jory was no Grey Warden .

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stereotypical Villain said:
Guy drinks from cup and dies and Duncan goes into T_T mode, mourning the red shirt with all his wickle heart... and then he guts the recruit who fails to show the proper grimdark reaction.

Answer: Dunkin' Donuts has split personality syndrome and should take medicine... or perhaps it's just a poorly thought of scene which serves no other purpose but to show what A MATURE GAME THIS IS AND IF YOU THINK ANY HARDER ABOUT IT YOU SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING IT LOL WHAT DO YOU WANT DEEP DIALOGUE GO PLAY PS:T FAGGOT

This.

On the one hand I could see the situation being set up properly so that Jory being killed is believable - things like alluding to the Grey Wardens giving up most of their past lives anyway as seems to be referenced in the lore when talking about people giving up their surnames and the like... but Jory as written obviously had no idea that was expected of him and there's no mention of that sort of idea in the scene from Duncan either. Beyond that and the possibility of writing better dialog for Duncan to get you to buy into the scene - I found the voice acting incongruous with what was going on which left me with a "WTF? That was lame." reaction.

The problem wasn't so much about buying the idea that a "secretive cult" would kill off people who tried to leave once being admitted to their initiation ceremony - the problem was that I'd never gotten the impression that the Grey Wardens were a secretive cult at all by that point - even with the ritual trappings at the Joining. Maybe that's my failing, but given that a lot of people seem to agree that the scene is stupid - I suspect it could've been better established in order to set the scene up properly and really have the player buy it.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Vault Dweller said:
Grunker said:
This. It's completely unwarranted. He doesn't even try to talk some sense into him first. He just kills him outright. And you can't even object. Instead you just chuck the fucking cup and say nothing. Afterwards the only reply you have is "I still can't believe you killed that dude!" to which Duncan answers "Well, he had it coming!" On this, you can't disagree.
Children. You're stating the same shit over and over again without making any fucking sense. So far the "arguments" are:

- it's cheesy and I hated it
- it's not what I wanted
- I'M VERY ANGRY ABOUT VIDEO GAMES!!!
- Duncan didn't behave like a fatherly figure I wanted him to be
- Duncan isn't a nice person
- Duncan didn't do enough to save that man's life!
- Killing people is wrong
- Not enough action

:facepalm:

You see, grandpa, thats why having different joinable factions is generally considered a good idea, so that if you liked Duncan so much, you will be free to join him, and we will be free to act some other way. So far you are just getting angry at everyone for not liking the story as much as you do. The fact that you liked the story does not make this a good design for RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom