Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crowfall

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Buying more servers is costly.
A 30$/month server on Digital Ocean/Softlayer/Linode will cover all your needs for AI for one location with 500 mobs.

If you have an MMO with subscribers, this is not exactly "costly" as you call it. It's costly when you're a Romanian guy trying to host an indie mmo that nobody's playing. (and if you're an indie dev with no money, where did you get all the assets for an entire mmo location? it's an unrealistic scenario)

When you're a studio, it's the kind of amount that nobody would even discuss.

Last edited:

Norfleet

I am pretty sure $30 a month servers are generally low-rent VPS-type servers that don't take well to high CPU and memory usage and are not intended for bulk computation like that. True dedicated servers are more in the $100/month range, but that's not really the point. I suspect you will need a lot more than just one to host actually good AI for 500 entities, though. If you tried to run a 500-faction Civ game, for instance, your computer would likely choke. The idea of 500-to-1 only functions for really...bad AI.

Mortmal

Arcane
I dont like the look much either , but real pvp and fully destroyable environement, the world changing and starting new campaigns when someone dominate , that sold me . Shadowbane was laggy buggy, but i had some fun in it still , UO well everyone knows it and i have only good things to say about early UO.
Backed, cause i am bored and why not ?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
They answered my email regarding whether or not losing in PvP causes equipment drop and makes you lose XP.

crowfall.jpg

Two possible translations:
1) We don't have any fucking idea what we're doing, we have no game design documents, we're idiots.
2) We know the answer to your question, but won't tell, cause we don't want to alienate anyone while selling this kickstarter, so everyone pls buy our game and THEN we'll reveal what the game is like.

Faggets...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'll just leave this here, it's such bullshit that these mechanics are "normally developed during play testing". Highly competitive games are conceived to be that way before a single line of code is written. You're either making a punishing game or you're not.

f830f89c7a3251b7192238e1f4c808ce.png

Mortmal

Arcane
I'll just leave this here, it's such bullshit that these mechanics are "normally developed during play testing". Highly competitive games are conceived to be that way before a single line of code is written. You're either making a punishing game or you're not.

f830f89c7a3251b7192238e1f4c808ce.png

Good god.. Full loot pvp is even more taboo than nudity in games it seems if they cant even answer such simple question. They are just in grab cash mode then and want to please everyone.

abija

Prophet

It's not bullshit, what he said is absolutely right. Loot drop and xp loss are details, definitely not something you should lock early in development. They might have a considerable list of punishment ideas and want to test them before deciding which ones to use.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's not bullshit, what he said is absolutely right. Loot drop and xp loss are details, definitely not something you should lock early in development. They might have a considerable list of punishment ideas and want to test them before deciding which ones to use.
If that was the case, that's what they could've replied and I would've understood. Instead, they outright refused to give any reply.

Plus, I really don't think games like UO and LA2 realized that they wanted players to drop loot at some late stage of game development. It's really an important concept that changes a great many things in other related mechanics such as gear itself - its rarity, its stats, its life expectancy (when this mechanic is being used), it affects the pve loot drop throughout the entire game. It's not a decision to be taken late in development, seriously.

Last edited:

Norfleet

I think the guy responding is mostly just unwilling to admit that as a low-level email-answering flunky, he is not in a position to actually say anything, and admitting this would compromise his position by admitting everything he has ever said was meaningless bullshit.

Xenich

Cipher
Hmm...

I am not getting a good vibe from this. I have a feeling this will be more mainstream shit.

Norfleet

Does this surprise you? Those production values are way too high for a niche product. The only people who are likely to make anything new are Asians, because targeting an Asian niche is huge. The catch is, Asia doesn't have an extensive history of MMOs dating back to MUDs, and Asians seem to love their grinders.

Xenich

Cipher
Well, I thought it may have had some hope, but now it looks like another cash gimmick for fucking idiots. Hey, if idiots want to throw their money at it? Who am I to argue? I'll just drop this into my "could care less" bin and move along my happy way.

Norfleet

Considering there never actually was a game, vaporware is still vaporware, so eh. We'll see what turd they come up with when they finally bother to actually make a game.

grimace

Arcane
Considering there never actually was a game, vaporware is still vaporware, so eh. We'll see what turd they come up with when they finally bother to actually make a game.

16,248 backers
$1,630,717 pledged of $800,000 goal
9 hours to go

I have not backed Crowfall.

The reason is that I do not like this idea of VIP membership "to be around $15 a month" which grants the ability to offline skill train all 3 character slots instead of 1.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS | Pricing
http://crowfall.com/#/faq/54dcbdb91f84dc694e40a581

5. What do I get for a VIP membership?
VIP members allows a few additional benefits:

• “Behind the scenes” access to the development of the game
  • VIP members can use passive training for all 3 character slots (not just 1)
  • Priority access to all game servers
  • VIP frame / badge on the forums
  • Discount pricing on any purchases
  • Other cool (non-balance affecting) benefits as we think of them!

9. Can I trade VIP membership tickets to other players?
Yes. This means that people who purchase the game, but don’t want to pay a monthly subscription, can still become VIP members by providing goods and services to other players.

Skills will be trained like EVE?

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I backed this because they have Raph Koster. How should I best put it: He ran only a few rather unsuccessful projects since the MUD days, but those unsuccessful projects included a number of things I would like to see in more successful projects. For instance, this whole Dying Worlds thing isn't exactly new. Raph last project called Metaplace, which preceded but was mildly similar to Google Lively, was actually a pretty interesting concept for someone used to MUDs. It was rather hit and miss, but what you could do is create fairly functional games inside your own worlds that would be connected to hubs by portals. If he has any influence at all on how this game is developed, the idea of inparment worlds might turn out to be something new.

That being said, I have my doubts that this will turn out into anything worthwhile. MMOs need players and although this is trending on mmorpg.com, it seems like a fairly niche product. Furthermore, the monetisation options seem rather questionable too. Some players will be starting with gigantic tax-haven castles and, most likely, run on permanent VIP, whereas other players, who mind you have also bought the game, will be starting out with nothing. Then there is of course the PVP which is quite likely to end up being the numbers game we know from GW2's WvWvW. I guess we will see in due time.

^^^
(Raph Koster? Hey that makes me a bit more interested in what hapens to Crowfall!)

I think it's interesting how they plan to resolve some of hte problems posed by a old and wealthy elite crushing weak players. They say they're going to wipe the servers and the banks, only preserving the character's stats/skills. One of the leading people behind Crowfall helped work on Shadowbane, a much older PvP sandbox MMORPG-hybrid. In Shadowbane, there was no real attempt to stop the elite from crushing the weak which is what caused a lot of the problems for players. It also probably did not adaquately address limited space concerns. For example, if the elite have consumed all of the good landmass then whatever is left, even if you do keep it, is going to suck. By wiping the servers they're reducing the gap between the weakest and strongest players and also clearing the landmass, allowing some of hte major guilds to move their cities or to move them into a better position. They're also effectively eliminating inactive guilds without having to employ taxation or maintenance codes to do the same.

Note: They're caling the time from reset to wipe a "season".
Note: The same guy I mentioned who worked on Shadowbane gave an example of how Shadowbane failed. He compared it to a game of Risk which never ends and one player dominates forever. Because the other players cannot ever hope to win unless the dominating player quits, they go and do other things, like watch TV. Because it's human nature to dominate, it always ends this way.
Note: The "old and wealthy elite" actually constitutes most of the population in an old game because its population is top heavy.

I am weary of it, but I think they want to do something innovative with the Shadowbane/Darkfall/Wizardry Online/etc formula. It tends to fail. So many PvP MMORPG's have failed. I'm curious what heir answers will be.

Personally, I think it's not PvP which is the problem, it's open-world and/or unrestricted PvP. I think it can be narrowed down to fairness and expectations. It's not fair to be killed by a much higher level player who risked nothing to kill you. And if you're doing some open-world PvE, PvP can mess up your expectations. It's like being caught with your pants down.

One just has to look at a game like Eve-Online which has extensive PvP yet has ~300,000 active players and is going on its 11th (!!!) year. It got around these problems by punishing grief-play and having safe areas to progress. I tink another eason Eve-Online didn't die as quickly or in the same maner as usal is because it has five full-time economists keeping the PvP-driven economy balanced. This is critical because just as exploits can be used in traditional warfware, they can also be used in the economy.

Abuse. Exploitation. Power creep. Zerg. Griefing..... All words which come to mind.

Despite Eve-Online, I don't think this has a large audience. Crowfall is a risky business. As a player I back. As investor? No? As investor if I could choose between this and a more PvP-restricted game, I'd not choose this. And in today's market "PvP-restricted" translates to something like the battlegrounds in WoW. It's not nearly the same thing, but it's safer.

Last edited:
That hasn't really been my experience in MMO PvP. When I played WoW, PvP would go on for a while unless one party was just much higher level than the other. Lots of abilities, counter-abilities, cc, etc were used. Darkfall Online/Mortal Online PvP was shorter, but it still went on for a bit, it wasn't instantaneous and it wasn't about who lands the first shot if the parties were somewhat equal in skills/equipment.

But ultimately, I think you are arguing about a different thing. You seem to be arguing for longer combat, and that's fine, we are not arguing against it. We are just saying you can code AI to behave like the player, whether the combat is long or short.

At one time WoW was like that, but my last experience it became a joke where fights were gimmicks. I saw this progress on in things like Rift, Secret World, etc... The HP issue of PvP isn't a new concept. It is a topic that has been discussed in the past, especially when the progression of quicker battles came around. Early WoW, you could actually be in a fight for a bit, but these days it is stupid for the most part. I played several classes in WoW and my average kill lasted maybe 15 seconds at most? Most of the time I could kill them in under 10 unless they were able to snare and run away. The last several games of PvP I played it felt like an FPS zerg fest.

Well, my point centers around the fact that when combat is quick, your strategy is limited to reflexive play and you have less time to apply more detailed strategies. In the end, all you have is simplistic quick reactive solutions. There is no time for thought in that type of play and while a machine can be fast in such, the player can't and if you allow the AI to cheat (ie act far faster than a human) then you are missing the point of better AI.
Well quick fights come down to preparation then. It comes down to knowing the weaknesses of your opponent and knowing countermoves to his/her moves. This has to be done rote until it's reflexive, as you say. The quicker you react or act, the better your chances of winning. This can be fun if it menas rolling new alts to xplore them and also sparring with guildies.

YOu say you want a more fluid and "strategic" fight which lasts longer. I presume it doesn't rely as much on preparation? Kind of like when James Bond flips hte switch on the conveyer and it catches the bad guy by the collar and throws him into the metal smelter? If you could supply some kind of example of a loger fight which is strategic it'd help.

I think I have a fuzzy idea what you mean. I know what fights were lke in old EQ, for xample. I didn't have any problem with them. But I can't identify exactly what it's abouthem that'd be strategic. They were inded slower paced. You didn't die as fast as you can in the modern game either. Like I can remember still being alive < 20% HP and trying to run away. But in the modern EQ you can be killed at 100% in a flurry of hits by one monster, especially if you not tank.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Note: The same guy I mentioned who worked on Shadowbane gave an example of how Shadowbane failed. He compared it to a game of Risk which never ends and one player dominates forever. Because the other players cannot ever hope to win unless the dominating player quits, they go and do other things, like watch TV. Because it's human nature to dominate, it always ends this way.
Yeah, Vaarna called this the "Old Boys Club". It's a significant obstacle to the appeal of otherwise appealing WorldPvP games, when you know that just because you were late to the party, you've already lost the game. I have often pondered how to design around this problem. Wipes are, obviously, the most direct and ham-handed of these methods, and similarly one of the less appealing options.

Yeah, Vaarna called this the "Old Boys Club". It's a significant obstacle to the appeal of otherwise appealing WorldPvP games, when you know that just because you were late to the party, you've already lost the game. I have often pondered how to design around this problem. Wipes are, obviously, the most direct and ham-handed of these methods, and similarly one of the less appealing options.
Welll.... the plan in crowfal, I"m led to believe, is they wipe the landmass and the banks, but they don't wipe the characters.

So the problem still exists, it's just shrunken.

And even if you did erase everything, including the characters, you can't erase their knowledge they have of how to play the game. They will act much faster than new players and arrive quicker at end game. If faced with pvp while levelling up, their choices will be wiser and quicker, resulting in the deaths of many newer players. You can try to change the game so their knowledge is void, but recasting a game with different guts convincingly after each wipe is not a small task. So it's hard for me to se how you can remove any/all effects of older/veteran players who wipe the floor with the entrails of newer ones.

AFter each successive wipe, I expect more and more complaints from new players being killed in pvp. This is the result of the older players geting beter and better at the tactics they use to win in pvp. The only way I can see getting around this is restrict older players or to make it extremely simple, so that even a new player can win against an old one.

One way to possibly address the power divide is simply not allow powerful players to prey on the weak. Even in EQ on Rallos Zek they would not allow you to pvp outside of a 4 level range. However, this didn't prevent raid-geared players from preying on group-geared players. Neither did it prevent a level 70 from (only lightly) preying on a level 66. It didn't stop 6-man groups from zerging (or preying) on soloers or small groups. And not every group-geared ton was/is equal gear-wise. There were many group-geared toons who went to town with other underequipped or otherwise badly maintained group-geared toons. And because it happened in the open world, many unfair exchanges occurred, such as attacking someone when they're hurt or distracted. Other games, like WoW, solved this with instances. Essentially they enacted more controls to ensure fairness.

(i imagine making fights fair based on how long a player has played or on their "score" also works, if stats/gear is already dealt with.... this would be the concer in a game where gear/stats aren't the problem)

This business of controlling the PvP isn't confined to just combat. Like you say, economy can be pvp too. Was it here wher I stated Eve-Online had five full-time economists keeping it in balance, so it's not exploited or abused?

I have experience in all this. I've played lots of pvp MMORPGs (or sandboxes) with few restrictions.

I played on the infamous Sullon Zek. I also play on Chaos in Wurm Online. There's no level restrictions on pvp in these examples. So a high skill highly geared player can kill a new one and loot their stuff. There IS some attempt to address this in Wurm Online, via deed guards and guard towers and encouraging new players to join villages.

I also played Shadowbane. No level restrictiosn in that either. It does protect players when they're on the noob island and in a couple cities (safeholds) on the mainlad, but other than that it doesn't. Full-loot pvp. Joining a guild doesn't stop a more powerful guild from destroying you. It comes down to levels and numbers and knowledge employed.

It's very VERY unpopular for the reasons we're discussing.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Welll.... the plan in crowfal, I"m led to believe, is they wipe the landmass and the banks, but they don't wipe the characters.
Sounds to me like this just leads to characters that are used as bank mules.

(i imagine making fights fair based on how long a player has played or on their "score" also works, if stats/gear is already dealt with.... this would be the concer in a game where gear/stats aren't the problem)
Wouldn't really work. Between smurfs and scrubs, this is always going to happen. Besides, I can tell you from both a real life and an in-game perspective, a "fair" fight is a fight you've already lost. NO one, in game OR real life, fights fair for keeps. A fair fight, by definition, is one where there's a 50/50 chance you DIE. No one in their right mind fights fair, people only fight when they think they've got an angle. Why should a game be different?

Besides, if you rigidly control it TOO much, it stops being a WorldPvP game at all and turns into a PvE game with an arena.

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
The way they setup the campaigns looks like there will be pretty much an even playing field for both new players and veterans at the start.
The only problem I see is there won't be much hand holding.
The new players are going to enter faction versus faction since they aren't going to upset the status quo when they are just beginning and they will have experienced players on all sides to take care of important decisions,they will just be the grunts.

More ambitions players will go to the lower levels where there won't be any imports so they all start from the beginning and quest for wealth to upset the higher layers.

Xenich

Cipher
Norfleet, you are pathetic.
That is a very random thing to say considering that I wasn't talking to you.

Maybe, but your PvP (breaking the rules, anything goes) is pathetic. You are essentially saying that anything is acceptable to win a game, even going outside the game to do so. Under your ideology, paying off the game GMs for favors or benefit is acceptable. Under your general ideology, finding out the location of a player in RL and showing up with a gang to beat them is acceptable. Anything is acceptable by your standards. That isn't the mentality of someone who likes the competition of PvP, it is the mentality of a cheater justifying why they can't win by any competitive standards. As I said, pathetic.

As for "I was talking to someone else", seriously? Of all the butting in to conversations to bitch and moan about a game not having PvP when it was specifically stated not to have PvP and you are upset I commented here?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom