Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CRPG Book Project - 200-page preview released

Discussion in 'The cRPG Player's Handbook' started by felipepepe, Jun 11, 2015.

1. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Yeah, I've finally managed to release this, now with 200 pages and featuring over 100 games: https://crpgbook.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/crpg-book-preview-2-1.pdf

I originally had promised this for last month, but a few issues appeared, as I posted on the book's blog:

I'm still fixing some issues, like typos, my inability write 'amount' correctly, the description of a few screenshots, a few format bugs and the NEO Scavenger review, which mysteriously vanished in the æther somehow, but the rest should be okay.

Hope you guys enjoy and thanks for everyone who contributed. If anyone wants to help the project, here's the list of games that still need a review: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t-49SyrsdP0M5re68sDH9cB2MrPqVKwQQiFF_54VibI/edit#gid=0

Now I can finally rest for a while reply to all those PMs and e-mails that I've neglected... :oops:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 27
    ^ Top  
  2. Scrooge Female Quota Staff Patron

Scrooge
    Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Looking very good, felipepepe :) I'm really looking forward to reading the finished thing. Maybe I can do another review but I need to meditate on that first :P

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. norolim Cipher

norolim
    Looks great, mate. Congrats. I only read a few experts, because I refuse to read the whole book until I get a paper copy of the finished thing, but I really like what I saw, so far.

Now, that you're finished this preview, talk to me about that IWD2 review. I need more information on what is wrong with it. I read it some time ago, and I didn't like it. I know why, but I also need an opinion from someone else.

^ Top  
  4. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Arx Fatalis, MOTB and XCOM:EU all unclaimed?

I'll probably try and claim one of them if they're still up in 2-3 weeks.

^ Top  
  5. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    I'm surprised to see some obscure titles while other well known are untouched. On the other hand - not surprised for the land of people full of-Skyrim-600h-accounts...
    Might try to write about some of these games - STALKER SHoC (especially for modding section, where I would bitchin' about people recommending garbage mods like Complete), Arx Fatalis and Revenant, Wizards & Warriors. And Dungeon Siege might get praises only for being engine for Ultima V & Ultima VI.
    Not much to say about Gothic3, guess that half of the review will be about bugs, patches and wandering about like in Skyrim.
    Wizards&Warriors need mentioning about Dungeon Lords.

BTW. there's no different types of bullet in Marauder: Man of Prey. No AP for armored opponents, like 7,62 HC.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    ^ Top  
  6. Lord Azlan Arcane Patron Shitposter

Lord Azlan
    I am giddy with excitement - how am I supposed to read all this - only have one toilet in my home.

I will have a look and see if there is a way I can contribute.

Immense thanks for your efforts.

^ Top  
  7. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Who wrote this? :lol:
    It's quite sad... and true.

^ Top  
  8. Not an RPG.
    A must have on the book.
    D.W. Bradley is not loved enough among people and deserves better life than making crappy social/mobile games.
    Someone needs to track him down and ask him a few questions.

^ Top  
  9. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I'm still downloading the latest version of the book, but try looking in the Ultima 5 review. ;)

ESPECIALLY considering who reviewed it.

^ Top  
  10. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    True that, RPG elements these days is enough to call the game RPG. And I need to save some people from mistake, which is using Complete mods instead of bugfixes for the 1st playthrough.
    And the Felipepepe's sheet have this one so I rather write about it and won't play it again.

Yeah I know. This is a bit...awkward and slimy situation, best prised for reviving old classic. I need to find and remind myself about old impressions, because from modern perspective the DungSiege review might be written in few sentences, including engine description. Or just whole DungSiege series, including PSP game - Throne of Agony, one of very few PSP titles that I managed to finish before selling the handheld.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    ^ Top  
  11. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Is there a possibility that you could at one point make the claim that it's bigger than the bible?

^ Top  
  12. Wait, another preview today?

I hope my review is not there, otherwise I might get some royal slapping.

^ Top  
  13. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Including 21Century Bible?

^ Top  
  14. Also, found one issue.
    In NEO Scavenger review there is a line meant for Daggerfall.
    felipepepe :argh:

^ Top  
  15. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Ferhegón was a sort of "Spanish Scorpia", he had a RPG-oriented column on Micromania, a popular Spanish PC magazine from the 80's & 90's. Some guys at GOG's forums helped me to contact him, and he was a bro and quickly agreed to contribute. :)

The entire NEO Scavenger review is broken, I'm fixing it now. Won't lie, I rushed the release a bit to try to get some spotlight before the E3 storm...didn't really work, but eh.

^ Top  
  16. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Did the Codex tweet this? I may have missed it if they did.

^ Top  
  17. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Yes, even Swen Vincke tweeted this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  18. flabbyjack Arcane

flabbyjack
    This is historic!

^ Top  
  19. Archibald Arcane

Archibald
    Great stuff. Sad part? Only 13 brofists.

^ Top  
  20. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    I use <New Posts>, but isn't this subforum a bit hidden?
    Also, no news post about it.

^ Top  
  21. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    No, the 12 gauge ammo has both a slug and a buckshot version, they are even visible in the screenshot I used (the red and purple cartridges). IIRC there are a few other variants as well.

^ Top  
  22. I might take over the following games if I beat any of these before someone gets them:
    • The Last Remnant (2008) - played a lot out of this one, so I might express a thing or two. Never beat it, though, so I'm not taking it over until I finish it.
    • Hired Guns (1993) - never beat it, but played it for a while.
    • Circuit's Edge (1990) - this is a good one, played only for about an hour or so, so I might take it over (once I beat it) if no one else is interested.
    • Akalabeth (1979) - played the shit out of it, especially the Java port when I had an old phone and wanted to play something more or less interesting. Practically unbeatable, but I can talk a bit about this one.
    That is, after felipepepe edits my review with an approving "DERP".

^ Top  
  23. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Who signs the Wasteland 2 review? I couldn't find him at Contributors.

Why poor Octavius doesn't have a description?

^ Top  
  24. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Master Chris Avellone. I had mismatched the names, download the fixed version here: https://crpgbook.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/crpg-book-preview-2-1.pdf

I PM'd him, but he still haven't replied :/

^ Top  
  25. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    :lol:

Also, Wesp's patch is mentioned in the VTMB section, but not Tessera's. Brace yourselves, butthurt is coming.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.