Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPG engine & toolsets?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's say I want to make a cRPG. But I have no idea about programming. I heard abour RPG Maker but is this the only possibility? Are there any good alternatives?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Konjad said:
Let's say I want to make a cRPG. But I have no idea about programming. I heard abour RPG Maker but is this the only possibility? Are there any good alternatives?
Although it is not a stand alone RPG maker, but Aurore engine toolset, from Neverwinter Nights 1 (or 2, although this is a bit more complex) is quite good. The toolset is quite flexible, and but not too difficult to get the hang of it, only problem is that you can only make moduls for Neverwinter Nights with it. So it won't be a stand-alone game.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Let's say I want to make a cRPG.

Good, good.

But I have no idea about programming.

You're pretty much fucked. No matter what kind of abstraction you use when working on your game you'll need to do some kind of programming or scripting eventually or your game will suck.

RPGMaker is easy to use, but it's not really capable of doing more than simple oldschoolish JRPGs even if you extensively fuck around with the ruby scripts. To my knowledge, there aren't any other real feature-rich RPG development platforms out there - probably because RPGs are such monsters to create.

Your only other option is to team up with someone who knows the programming side of things, but that generally doesn't work unless you have another talent to bring to the table.

Also, game design is a skill that's not easy to learn overnight unless you're an ubermench like Cleve.

ecliptic

Liturgist
If you've got the stomach for scripting, give the Unity3D engine a shot. It's as close to a fully featured klik-n-play as you're going to get.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Xor said:
You're pretty much fucked. No matter what kind of abstraction you use when working on your game you'll need to do some kind of programming or scripting eventually or your game will suck.

[intelligence] What he said.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
J_C's is a valid suggestion.

My suggestion is, as usual, source engine, here are a few advantages:

-best support ever, it is being patched on a weekly basis even now, years after its release
-comes almost for free, you just need to buy some source game on steam (the old ones are really cheap)
-a lot of non-official support, people have been using it for so long that there is just shitloads of knowledge all around the interweb
-flexible: FPS, 3rd person, top down, static, whatever. you can do whatever game you want with it.
-low-requirements: source games can run extrememly smooth even on old machines
-technology: physics, HDR, bloomfest, you name it. it's got it all.
-easily moddable: fiddle around with Garry's mod or try one of those adventure mods for HL2, or just download the SDK and start messing around, it's quite a user-friendly environment

bhlaab

Erudite
If you work really really hard you might be able to get something out of Multimedia Fusion 2, but for someting as complex as a crpg you might as well just learn programming

7hm

Scholar
As others have said, you're pretty well fucked if you're not willing to learn some programming.

That said... what style of crpg are you trying to make? That makes a big difference.

You may want to explore either modding or a game system like FRUA or Blades of Exile / Avernum or NWN or something.

roll-a-die

Magister
RPGMaker,

advantages

It's a OLDSKOOL JRPG maker, Dialogue will be easy, as will making levels, branching dialogue may be harder, competent levels even harder.

Can import tiles from other OLDSKOOL JRPG's

Can Import Sprites from OLDSKOOL JRPG's

Disadvantages

OLDSKOOL JRPG CLONES Are prolific, and you'll look generic.

Hard to do anything major with the combat system, though I have seen real time combat on an RPGMaker game(Violated Heroine).

Generic Gameplay.

Note that all of these can be countered with quality production and story, or at least lulz.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Any alternative to RPGMaker is a good alternative.

Just do like I did when I was 11, make a game out using batch files! :)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Or you could do what I did and make RPGs on your graphing calculator instead of paying attention in math class.

OminousBlueDot

Educated
Steal the assests of FanMadeFallout, Konjad. :D Ah, bad idea ... the scripting is weird and you're limited by the Fallout 1/2 executable. :?

If you're going to the Source engine way, there's also the UDK ... Though I've not had time to play with either.

jMonkey and the SDL, but that's getting into the programming side of things. Python includes a library for creating simple games, if I recall. The fellow who produced Doom/Diablo/Aliens ~RL produced a Lua (for use in Pascal?) library for rouge-like production.

Like RPG Maker, there is also Game Maker. Seems to have the same problems as mentioned above for RPG Maker, plus it produces huge executable files.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Make short module for FRUA or Blades of Exile. Also you SHOULD have some programming skill. Knowledge about ifs, cycles, variables, functions and arrays will suffice.

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
An RPG is probably the worst choice for your first game, yet, the most popular one among new indie devs. That shit almost never gets done.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Programming ain't rocket science, there are TONS of tutorials to get you started on the web. From learning the basics to making your own 3D engine.

Dele

Liturgist
NWN module editor since its fast and easy to learn and you can still make some nice stuff with it.

Radisshu

Prophet
roll-a-die said:
RPGMaker,

advantages

It's a OLDSKOOL JRPG maker, Dialogue will be easy, as will making levels, branching dialogue may be harder, competent levels even harder.

Can import tiles from other OLDSKOOL JRPG's

Can Import Sprites from OLDSKOOL JRPG's

Disadvantages

OLDSKOOL JRPG CLONES Are prolific, and you'll look generic.

Hard to do anything major with the combat system, though I have seen real time combat on an RPGMaker game(Violated Heroine).

Generic Gameplay.

Note that all of these can be countered with quality production and story, or at least lulz.

There are newer versions of RPG Maker 2000 that lets you customise things a bit more, but that requires coding, so..

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Konjad said:

Have you did DM in PnP RPG? Created assets for session?

If not you are hosed. You would need to learn not only programming, but also these other things. See you in three years. (assuming 5 hours per day in your spare time.)

Google for desocupado, you'd look like him in the first half year. These who leave it during that harsh half year are the scum that never does anything. These other might have talent.

NWN2 had some toolset. You might try to do something with that. (Or with NWN toolset.)

siliconavatar

Novice
There are a few more possibilities.

http://www.scirra.com/
http://www.engine001.com/gamemaker.htm
http://rpgtoolkit.net/ (down at the moment - they are redoing the site).

Those engines probably lean more toward Zelda style RPG than old-school tile game RPG. The only old-school game maker I can remember (besides FRUA) was DCGames, but it was only for DOS.

There's an open source version of FRUA but I don't know how far along it is.

http://uaf.sourceforge.net/

Most of the engines still require some scripting to customize your scenarios.

roll-a-die

Magister
Exalt from what I recall is also a possibility, considering how much you can modify that now. Would require some coding though as far as I know.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
RM2K is p. easy to use, and it does have some hidden depth and complexity to it provided that you have some minimal understanding about programming and scripting. You don't have to write lines of code, but there will be familiar elements between RM2K scripting and coding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom