Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
For fuck's sake, this derail is worse than SMA's description of how she lost his virginity :decline:

Anyway on topic.

He's almost done with POR. Kinda funny, he mentioned early on that he was going to drag this one out, but it's obvious he was loving it so much he's pretty much speeded through it. I don't remember half of the mainland map encounters he's described too, I wonder if I skipped most of these...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
octavius said:
I'm reminded of the Dogs 101 and Cats 101 shows on Animal Planet. "Remember, every dog/cat is an individual and may not adhere to the breed's standards".
Same with us nerds, I think. We are all different and have different levels of nerdiness, and even different ideas of what it is to be a nerd.
How about not using such vile alien (and loaded) words at all? Gamer was completely sufficient in 90s and is completely sufficient now.

octavius said:
Oh, and isn't it cute that Awor would be more butthurt at thinking I called him a lamer, than at being called a nerd?
I think most "normal" people would rather be called lamer, than being called a nerd..
It's funny that you call people who don't have interest in computers lamers, because both lamer and n00b are applying to behaviour in social context, not being new to something or mere lack of knowledge.
Lamers act like they are very competent at something when they aren't, they behave like jerks, they ignore rules of communities, they ask questions instead of reading sticky topics in communities that expect members to read them, they "steal" other people's work and present it as their own, etc.
Lamers/n00bs were bashed for being anti-social retards, not for lack of knowledge.
So, I don't think that most "normal" people would want to be called lamers if they knew it.

bussinrounds

Augur
Lord Rocket said:
Anyone who hasn't rubbed one out to the Sylph in the 1e Monster Manual probably shouldn't be on this site. The Lamia Noble (plus the song The Lamia off of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway) in the Fiend Folio may be responsible for some of my more serious dysfunctions too.
Anyway, gonna go listen to Peste Noire some more now, see ya.

Ehh, i preferred Marilith myself.

What up Codexers :salute:

It seems as if my disdain for modern rpgs has lead me here.

Reading through a bunch of topics, i hadn't laughed so hard from any forums in my life !

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
octavius said:
octavius said:
Oh, and isn't it cute that Awor would be more butthurt at thinking I called him a lamer, than at being called a nerd?
I think most "normal" people would rather be called lamer, than being called a nerd..
It's funny that you call people who don't have interest in computers lamers, because both lamer and n00b are applying to behaviour in social context, not being new to something or mere lack of knowledge.
Lamers act like they are very competent at something when they aren't, they behave like jerks, they ignore rules of communities, they ask questions instead of reading sticky topics in communities that expect members to read them, they "steal" other people's work and present it as their own, etc.
Lamers/n00bs were bashed for being anti-social retards, not for lack of knowledge.
So, I don't think that most "normal" people would want to be called lamers if they knew it.

OK, maybe I've misunderstood the real meaning of the word "lamer". I thought it referred to people who are computer illiterates and/or casual gamers who expect something awesome to happen whenever they press a button. So my apologies if I inadvertently called you an annoying noob.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Sceptic said:
For fuck's sake, this derail is worse than SMA's description of how she lost his virginity :decline:

Link plz

also fuck'ssake Cletus get a decent computer

DaveO

Erudite
He finished up Pool of Radiance. Congratulations on such a quick completion of the game. I wonder how far the LP in the Playground is.

MMXI

Arcane
I've actually read all this guy's blog postings. I'm more interested in the little known games he uncovers as I've played most of the big names in the genre from back then. His blog is also really good for discovering cRPG firsts as he plays the games in chronological order (roughly, alphabetically for games within the same year). It makes the evolution of the genre much clearer.

It's a shame he thinks Oblivion is a good RPG.

DaveO said:
He finished up Pool of Radiance. Congratulations on such a quick completion of the game. I wonder how far the LP in the Playground is.
Just done the graveyard. My character (Godfrey) kept getting level drained.
:x

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
bussinrounds said:
Lord Rocket said:
Anyone who hasn't rubbed one out to the Sylph in the 1e Monster Manual probably shouldn't be on this site. The Lamia Noble (plus the song The Lamia off of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway) in the Fiend Folio may be responsible for some of my more serious dysfunctions too.
Anyway, gonna go listen to Peste Noire some more now, see ya.

Ehh, i preferred Marilith myself.

What up Codexers :salute:

It seems as if my disdain for modern rpgs has lead me here.

Reading through a bunch of topics, i hadn't laughed so hard from any forums in my life !

Another victim.

:salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Lord Rocket said:
Enjoy

DaveO said:
He finished up Pool of Radiance. Congratulations on such a quick completion of the game.
Again, considering he wanted to drag this one out, I wouldn't congratulate him ;)
The write-ups were mostly excellent though. His love of the game really shines through. Between this, Omega and MM2 he's been on a really good streak.

MMXI said:
I'm more interested in the little known games he uncovers
That's one of the main attractions for me as well. Some of them are really fascinating to read about.

His blog is also really good for discovering cRPG firsts as he plays the games in chronological order (roughly, alphabetically for games within the same year). It makes the evolution of the genre much clearer.
There are some problems with this, such as his picking the date of the original release sometimes and the date of the DOS release at other times, but all in all the thoroughness gives a much more interesting picture than the typical rundowns of the genre that concentrate on the big players.

It's a shame he thinks Oblivion is a good RPG.
Eh, it takes all sorts. The LARPiness he displays initially got on my nerves, but as time goes on I find it much more interesting that someone can enjoy both Oblivion and POR so much while finding himseld drawn into something like Omega... he's definitely not a typical RPGer, neither of the oldschool variety nor of the newfag type, not even a combination of both, but something else entirely. It makes for more interesting reading.
(Addict, if you read all this gushing praise, don't think this means I've forgiven you for Wizardry 4 :rpgcodex: )

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
There are some problems with this, such as his picking the date of the original release sometimes and the date of the DOS release at other times, but all in all the thoroughness gives a much more interesting picture than the typical rundowns of the genre that concentrate on the big players.
Yeah. And the fact that he can't be bothered to play non-DOS cRPGs. He'll miss out on quite a few decent ones, especially now that he's in the Amiga era. I'm still disappointed that he missed out Questron from '84.

Sceptic said:
Eh, it takes all sorts. The LARPiness he displays initially got on my nerves, but as time goes on I find it much more interesting that someone can enjoy both Oblivion and POR so much while finding himseld drawn into something like Omega... he's definitely not a typical RPGer, neither of the oldschool variety nor of the newfag type, not even a combination of both, but something else entirely. It makes for more interesting reading.
(Addict, if you read all this gushing praise, don't think this means I've forgiven you for Wizardry 4 :rpgcodex: )
I haven't forgiven him for not finishing/playing more of a number of games, namely Alternate Reality, Autoduel, Wizardry II, III and IV, Wizard's Crown and The Bard's Tale II. But hey. That's life!

:rpgcodex:

Catalina

Scholar
I really got into crpg's around 2002 with Fallout 2 and Neverwinter Nights, so I'm not really familiar with anything before 1999. Definitely not with anything it would require an emulator to run. I'm glad this thread and the link to CRPGAddict's blog were posted. Not only does it it provide information on games I'd love to know more about, but it provides context and personal experience, as well. Awesome.

Catalina

Scholar
Serious_Business said:
Son if you have not played crpgs since 1982 you have no place here

Get out

But I find your world to be intriguing and compelling. I can put up with the verbal abuse to discover its heart.
Also, I was born in 1985. :(

CorpseZeb

Learned
Serious_Business said:
Son if you have not played crpgs since 1982 you have no place here

Catalina said:
Also, I was born in 1985.

I'm sorry, but that fact cannot be an excuse!

Ps. Also I bet, your past reincarnation life pop out somewhere in XIV or XVII century, eh? But this is not an excuse either!

Ps2. A lack control of self-reincarnation should never be an excuse, seriousilly...

bussinrounds

Augur
In the 80's i used to love playing some of the early Ultima games like Exodus and the d&d games like Treasure of Tarmin on the Intellivision and later Pool of Radiance, but then became a consoletard for a number of years and missed out on all the good rpgs unfortunately except for Warriors of the Eternal Sun on Sega which was pretty good for a console rpg i guess. (KOTC resembles it a bit looks wise).

Playing DAO and enjoying it somewhat, i felt i needed to get a pc and play the good rpgs i had missed out on. I used to love the old school d&d back in the 80's when i was growing up, so i figured Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BWP) would be a good place to start. I'm enjoying it even though the Rtwp combat as opposed to turn based turned me off at the beginning, but i got used to it.

I also have PS:T, Fallout 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Arcanum , Vampire Bloodlines (Wesp5 7.5), TOEE (Circle of 8 6.0), NWN 1&2 (mostly for MP purposes) installed and ready to go.

I tried the demo for KOTC and liked it, so i'm probably gonna get that one too. I was wondering some of the Codexer's opinions on some "must plays". (i heard Wizardry 8 and Ultima 7 were really good)

I can enjoy anything from heavy story (PS;T) to all combat like KOTC and the stuff in between too.

Not trying to derail the thread, but i didn't want to start a new topic or anything.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
bussinrounds said:
I was wondering some of the Codexer's opinions on some "must plays". (i heard Wizardry 8 and Ultima 7 were really good)

I know it's incredibly hard to see... here, this may help.

8451.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
In before Jae-

Oh. Alright, in this case:

In before "fucking 2011 newfags"
:love:

MMXI said:
I'm still disappointed that he missed out Questron from '84.
Well he's writing quite a bit about it in his latest post, as it seems he played it when he was a kid. It would've been more interesting to get a full Questron 1 blog back then and a quick "2 is just the same" post now, but I can live with this. Especially since this last post of his is pretty entertaining.

I haven't forgiven him for not finishing/playing more of a number of games, namely Alternate Reality, Autoduel, Wizardry II, III and IV, Wizard's Crown and The Bard's Tale II.
Actually I can forgive him for most of these except Wiz 4 and WC. AR is pretty pointless since there's nothing to do but map and grind in order to export your char to the sequel... which doesn't exist on PC. I think he gave up on Autoduel because it doesn't have any kind of MQ either (or he didn't find how to start it after a few hours). BT2 is pretty boring (though I wonder if he'll ever go back to BT3 like he said he would... probably not, but I'll forgive him for that if he actually finishes the much better Dragon Wars). And finally Wiz 2 and 3 are clones of 1 in a different dungeon, and their save/load system (especially 2) is just too much. The main reason I got annoyed at him for 4 is that it is a completely unique game (and the second half, with the multiple endings, is much more interesting) and I feel that he made a mistake sticking to very strict rules until getting completely sick of the game. But then expecting him to finish everything isn't exactly realistic...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hope you love abuse because there's no shortage of it here!

Also the Search doesn't really work because our overlord decided he needs more gold to lace his house with.

Also, ignore everything I say.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jasede said:
I hope you love abuse because there's no shortage of it here!

Also the Search doesn't really work because our overlord decided he needs more gold to lace his house with.

Apparently Jasede is incapable of reading why the search was removed.

Also typing site:www.rpgcodex.net at the end of your google search IS INCREDIBLY HARD. OMG!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I miss the post history feature, though. It was cool to pick a random person and see how the codex changed his personality over the years.

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Well he's writing quite a bit about it in his latest post, as it seems he played it when he was a kid. It would've been more interesting to get a full Questron 1 blog back then and a quick "2 is just the same" post now, but I can live with this. Especially since this last post of his is pretty entertaining.
Yeah well. I think he started blogging about the sequel after I typed my post. The main reason I wished he covered it back when he was covering 1984 games was because there were fuck all cRPGs before 1985. And Questron was, I believe, SSI's first cRPG, therefore making it important, however primitive.

Sceptic said:
Actually I can forgive him for most of these except Wiz 4 and WC. AR is pretty pointless since there's nothing to do but map and grind in order to export your char to the sequel... which doesn't exist on PC. I think he gave up on Autoduel because it doesn't have any kind of MQ either (or he didn't find how to start it after a few hours). BT2 is pretty boring (though I wonder if he'll ever go back to BT3 like he said he would... probably not, but I'll forgive him for that if he actually finishes the much better Dragon Wars). And finally Wiz 2 and 3 are clones of 1 in a different dungeon, and their save/load system (especially 2) is just too much. The main reason I got annoyed at him for 4 is that it is a completely unique game (and the second half, with the multiple endings, is much more interesting) and I feel that he made a mistake sticking to very strict rules until getting completely sick of the game. But then expecting him to finish everything isn't exactly realistic...
No need to explain what each of those games are like. I've played them all to completion (where possible) before, and that's why I mentioned them.

Alternate Reality - Pointless, yes. But as a few commenters noted back then, he didn't play it enough to see all that it had to offer. Of course it was a totally incomplete game, but more time spent on it would have been better. Oh, and The Dungeon, which was actually better and more purposeful than The City, not being released for DOS is another reason why that stupid DOS/Windows only rule sucks.

Autoduel - Again, not enough time spent on it. He didn't get to see all that the game had to offer. I can admit that the game isn't that great, but it was definitely great conceptually for 1985. Oh, and the game does have a plot. Sort of. You stumble upon it when doing courier missions.

The Bard's Tale II - It's definitely the worst game in the series in my view, but he basically quit playing it just because it was similar to the first game. Dragon Wars being vastly superior to The Bard's Tale should have nothing to do with not completing it.

Wizardry II and III - Exactly. More of the same. Wizardry. I actually think Wizardry II and III are both better designed than the first episode. I also think he shouldn't have forced himself to play through the first Wizardry again when his party died in Wizardry II. He should have just kept a backup and restarted Wizardry II from the start. However, this was before he started cheating in games and breaking his own rules.

Wizardry IV - I agree. A totally strange concept for a game at the time and one of the first major RPGs to have multiple endings. He should have stuck with it to the end.

His rule about DOS/Windows only games is only going to make things worse before getting better. There were quite a number of above average RPGs in the late 80s and early 90s that weren't available for the IBM PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom