Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CRPGAddict

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by 7hm, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    It's worse than just paraphrasing others' opinions without playing the games. Even when he clearly has played the games, he cherry-picks facts and twists them into a completely different history of what happened, one that fits his personal opinion of how he thinks things should've gone down. Some of his post strike me as insanely narcissistic as well, I think it was with Trinity where he wrote page upon page about himself and his research that had absolutely nothing to do with the game. I certainly don't have the inclination to dig through his stuff to come up examples, but I've pointed out some of his glaring inaccuracies several times on the forums here, Search function should bring up some of them.

Your post is :salute: overall.

I think he's gotten worse over the years. CRPG Addict is actually a much better historian than he is, his exploration of the PLATO lineage is one of the most interesting and thorough research I've seen on the topic. I frequently disagree with him and roll my eyes at him so completely missing the point of some games, but some of his other entries are wonderful. His Ultima Underworld writings are notable for this; he brought up the exact same arguments that contemporary reviews did on the game's innovation, and he was clearly bringing them up out of his own replaying and his own memories of the game, with some perspective but no revisionism. THIS is good historian work.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • meh meh x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Gastrick Educated

Gastrick
    No you wouldn't, here's Schopenhauer saying why not.
    "Students, and learned persons of all sorts and every age, aim as a rule at acquiring information rather than insight. They pique themselves upon knowing about everything—stones, plants, battles, experiments, and all the books in existence. It never occurs to them that information is only a means of insight, and in itself of little or no value; that it is his way of thinking that makes a man a philosopher. When I hear of these portents of learning and their imposing erudition, I sometimes say to myself: Ah, how little they must have had to think about, to have been able to read so much!"
    Crpgaddict's shallow reviews show he didn't think very much about the game or rpg games in general, and that probably is all his mind would ever be capable of.
    "No one writes anything that is worth writing, unless he writes entirely for the sake of his subject. What an inestimable boon it would be, if in every branch of literature there were only a few books, but those excellent!"
    Those other games have little to no value, so it's irrelevant whether they are played or not.

• Salute x 5
    • Brofist x 3
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    2020 newfags using schopenhauer citations, and writing a good post, the wheel is turning ! The curse is lifted !

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Grauken Agent of the NWO Patron

Grauken

So Schopenhauer was an idiot who couldn't manage more than a couple of books, ok

• Funny Funny x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Gastrick Educated

Gastrick
    Few is more than a couple, and the point seems to be that all those extraneous, time-wasting books are worthless and deserve to be burned.
    I'd say just being forgotten in an archive is more than enough.

^ Top  
  6. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Existential Comics: Dungeons & Dragons & Philosophers VI

• Funny x 10
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • Artistic x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Grauken Agent of the NWO Patron

Grauken
    Well, if he thinks all those book are extraneous and time-wasting then he's really an idiot, and you as well for parroting him

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. V_K Arcane

V_K
    And that's, ladies and gentlemen, how philosophy got a bad rep - because of people citing aphoristic statement and thinking that appeal to authority is enough to make them indisputable truth.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    >philosopher literally tells you to stop reading so many books and using them as appeal to authority, claiming it's true because you read it in a book
    >people start arguing about what that philosopher said instead of actually... you know... thinking for themselves like he wanted them to

bing bong

• Funny Funny x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Grauken Agent of the NWO Patron

Grauken
    All this would be incredibly useful if CRPGAddict set out to play games to gain deep insights about the CRPGs, which he obviously did not, but instead tried to play all of them in chronological order and comment on that.

But let's assume he said his mission would be to play all the important and relevant CRPGs to formulate deep insights about the CRPG genre, then the discussion about which those are would and has been waged ad infinitum on this board and everywhere else. Some people often assume there are unassailable classics, eternal in their quality and in an absolute sense better than other games. I for one fundamentally disagree with that position, I think quality is inherently relative and never absolute. Give me any classic (by whatever best of list) and I find a better game (for my definition of better) and so the position there are those worthy to save forever and those better left burned is both distasteful and wrong, because one man's treasure is another man's trash and vice versa. And neither is really right or wrong.

The only objective quality games have is sales and to a lesser degree (because it's much harder to pin down in exact numbers) influence.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • No No x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    You can always gain insights even from bad games, if only about what not to do when designing a game.

In fact, people who wanna do game design themselves should also play terrible games so they know what to avoid. Game designers not doing that is how we end up with so much shit (or maybe game designers genuinely like shit, who knows).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Nifft Batuff Arbiter

Nifft Batuff
    I don't know. You can always gain some insights from what has been done in the past, obviously. The problem is that the way something is considered good or bad depends always on what are the current memes. I consider most of the bad design choices that I hate in modern games as deliberate, for example. They are perceived effectively by modern audience to be an improvement from the past in the context of these memes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    That's because the people who play those games are casuals, not enthusiasts. They're looking for some casual entertainment rather than a deep gameplay experience that requires full attention.

And even then, if we disregard all that, there's some objectively good design and objectively bad design. Having millions of samey random encounters at a high encounter frequency is objectively bad (unless you're a turboautist who actually enjoys grind like that). Level design with different approaches to your goal, like in most levels of Thief and Deus Ex, is objectively good. There are several encounters in RPGs that I would consider objectively good, like the encounter with Lareth the Beautiful in ToEE, and there are several encounters in RPGs that I would consider objectively bad, like the majority of the Deep Roads in Dragon Age.

^ Top  
  14. Grauken Agent of the NWO Patron

Grauken
    Wrong

Wrong

That was exactly what I was saying, we fundamentally disagree about what is good or bad

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yeah but one of us is objectively right and the other is not :M

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    Thanks for throwing at us so many tropes.

It doesn't matter if his goal was to become an "authoritative" source on Baldur's Gate the cRPG genre, he's posing as one in his comments and people refer to him as if he was one.

Simply reading about his comments in here would show anyone with half a brain that even if he played twice all the cRPG released and to be released in the next 100 years, he still wouldn't have a clue about what makes a good cRPG.

/End thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    he seems like an asspie tbh

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Grauken Agent of the NWO Patron

Grauken
    Well, you like a bad game like Thief, so obviously it's me who is objectively right

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Gangrelrumbler Arcane Patron

Gangrelrumbler
    But it's not like all these shitty 80's games are terrible in an unique way, they're pretty much similar in their terribleness. Also it's not very useful for modern designer since nobody makes games like that anymore. It's not like making grindy barely functional dungeon crawlers with no story or sense of direction is a common pitfall for modern designers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    The 6 million mediocre indie roguelikes made during the last decade disagree with you!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Also known as the holorogue.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Gastrick Educated

Gastrick
    >The philosopher who says that makes heavy use of appeals to authority in his works.
    >The one who started appealing to authority wasn't me but the guy saying his idol CRPGaddict is not only an authority on games, but the ULTIMATE authority.
    There you have it.

So Obliviion is no worse than Fallout 1 then? It's all subjective, right?

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    I remember 4 years ago CRPGaddict cried that if Trump wins, he'd have to get a real job. How come he's still running his blog?

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Clearly, he couldn't get a real job. :lol::lol::lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Patreon bucks

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.