Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

7hm

Scholar
MMXI said:

Meh. The guy sticks with it for 6 hours. If it doesn't work for him, it doesn't work for him.

As for the Dos / windows thing, I prefer it. I want to see him get to games I remember playing as a kid sometimes during my lifetime (as opposed to games I've played much later in life). He's got to draw the line somewhere, might as well draw it on the pc border.

MMXI

Arcane
Dude. This is the internet! I'm entitled to whatever I feel like!

:rpgcodex:

Oh and don't get me wrong, I don't want him playing a single console RPG. I just wish he expanded the definition of PC to include all home computers including the Apple II, C64 and the Amiga.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MMXI said:
I think he started blogging about the sequel after I typed my post.
You wish for it and it appears! ;)

The main reason I wished he covered it back when he was covering 1984 games was because there were fuck all cRPGs before 1985. And Questron was, I believe, SSI's first cRPG, therefore making it important, however primitive.
It was definitely ahead of its time, hadn't realized it was their first (I thought Wizard's Crown or Shard of Spring was earlier). I agree it would've been interesting to see it in context, considering what was offered in 85.

No need to explain what each of those games are like.
I wasn't trying to talk down to you, just specifically pointing out the reason he quit each game, and what I think of said reason. The problem with "seeing all the game has to offer" is that, if he's going to do this with every single game, he'll never make it past 1990. Especially with some of the really unforgiving ones from early on. I'm actually hoping, now that he's in the era of real saving, that he'll stick to more completions. We'll see.

Oh, and The Dungeon, which was actually better and more purposeful than The City, not being released for DOS is another reason why that stupid DOS/Windows only rule sucks.
Yes, but even The Dungeon had its problems that were supposed to be fixed in the later entries that never happened.

He should have just kept a backup and restarted Wizardry II from the start. However, this was before he started cheating in games and breaking his own rules.
He also didn't realize Wiz 2 would destroy his Wiz 1 save on importing until after he imported his party, so there was never a backup he could go back to.

His rule about DOS/Windows only games is only going to make things worse before getting better. There were quite a number of above average RPGs in the late 80s and early 90s that weren't available for the IBM PC.
I think he's just about passed the "Amiga/ST are better" era actually. The PC really started gaining predominance around 88-89, with the huge graphic and sound improvements brought by VGA and the MT-32 (and later on the Sound Blaster). Soon everything notable will become PC-only (with the exception of CSB maybe).

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
It was definitely ahead of its time, hadn't realized it was their first (I thought Wizard's Crown or Shard of Spring was earlier). I agree it would've been interesting to see it in context, considering what was offered in 85.
Shard of Spring? That came out at the end of 1986 if I remember correctly. Perhaps you meant Phantasie which came out in 1985 along with Wizard's Crown. Probably why I think 1985 was really the kick start year for RPGs. But yeah, Questron was a 1984 one. I think it was the first RPG to include minigames, which in hindsight was a terrible, terrible thing. 1984, the start of the cRPG decline.

:smug:

Sceptic said:
I wasn't trying to talk down to you, just specifically pointing out the reason he quit each game, and what I think of said reason. The problem with "seeing all the game has to offer" is that, if he's going to do this with every single game, he'll never make it past 1990. Especially with some of the really unforgiving ones from early on. I'm actually hoping, now that he's in the era of real saving, that he'll stick to more completions. We'll see.
Yeah, I see what you mean. But what I meant was to see all (or at least most) of what the games had to offer mechanically rather than the content-wise.

Sceptic said:
Yes, but even The Dungeon had its problems that were supposed to be fixed in the later entries that never happened.
Yeah, I know. It was still one of the most interesting game concepts for 1985 though. Way ahead of its time. It's like the developers didn't have the technology, manpower, time and money to pull off their vision. According to Wikipedia there were 6 games planned, with The City being the first. Apparently The Dungeon wasn't actually one of the six, but was actually just the second half of The City as the sewers were cut from it at release (which makes sense given that there is fuck all to actually do in The City).

Sceptic said:
He also didn't realize Wiz 2 would destroy his Wiz 1 save on importing until after he imported his party, so there was never a backup he could go back to.
His fault.

:rpgcodex:

Sceptic said:
I think he's just about passed the "Amiga/ST are better" era actually. The PC really started gaining predominance around 88-89, with the huge graphic and sound improvements brought by VGA and the MT-32 (and later on the Sound Blaster). Soon everything notable will become PC-only (with the exception of CSB maybe).
I don't mean playing the best version. I mean playing games that weren't released for DOS. Games like Questron, Ambermoon (Amberstar sequel), The Eternal Dagger (Wizard's Crown sequel), Deathlord, Fate: Gates of Dawn and The Legend of Blacksilver (Legacy of the Ancients sequel).

Stabwound

Arcane
How are the Questron/Legacy of the Ancients/Legend of Blacksilver games, anyway? I just watched the Legacy of the Ancients episode of Matt Chat, and it looked pretty interesting, although the mini games came across like the 80's version of what would be considered decline/popamole today. The premise of the game sounds pretty awesome for the time, though.

Are any of them worth playing?

MMXI

Arcane
Stabwound said:
How are the Questron/Legacy of the Ancients/Legend of Blacksilver games, anyway? I just watched the Legacy of the Ancients episode of Matt Chat, and it looked pretty interesting, although the mini games came across like the 80's version of what would be considered decline/popamole today. The premise of the game sounds pretty awesome for the time, though.

Maybe. They are all basically the same game, though. Just pick one and play it. They are pretty much like more advanced versions of Ultima I and II, before the series introduced parties. Top down view in towns and the over world, first person in dungeons. For 1984 I think Questron was brilliant. The other three games came way too late and were just severely outdated. Legacy of the Ancients came out in 1987 and both The Legend of Blacksilver and Questron II came out in 1988. By that time we had games like Ultima IV and V, Might and Magic I and II, Pool of Radiance and The Bard's Tale trilogy. Even SSI's other pre-Gold Box RPGs, Wizard's Crown, Eternal Dagger, the Phantasie trilogy, Shard of Spring and Demon's Winter were less primitive in terms of gameplay.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jaesun said:
Jasede said:
I hope you love abuse because there's no shortage of it here!

Also the Search doesn't really work because our overlord decided he needs more gold to lace his house with.

Apparently Jasede is incapable of reading why the search was removed.

Also typing site:www.rpgcodex.net at the end of your google search IS INCREDIBLY HARD. OMG!

Yeah, because doing that will give you the same results as regular Codex search used to.
Oh wait, it doesn't. Jaesun confirmed for fag.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, I did. But it's nothing you guys couldn't fix with money. Just say how much.
Don't be like SA and say "It'll be fixed" and they never fixed it. Ever.

Catalina

Scholar
Jasede said:
Yeah, I did. But it's nothing you guys couldn't fix with money. Just say how much.
Don't be like SA and say "It'll be fixed" and fix it about a year ago.

FTFY.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
I WOULD BE A TRU BRO AND DONATE A LITTLE FOR A GOOD SEARCH FUNCTINN

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MMXI said:
Shard of Spring? That came out at the end of 1986 if I remember correctly. Perhaps you meant Phantasie which came out in 1985 along with Wizard's Crown. Probably why I think 1985 was really the kick start year for RPGs. But yeah, Questron was a 1984 one.
OK, I had my timeline mixed up, thanks for clearing it up. BTW you're extremely knowledgeable about the early-mid 80's CRPG's, hats off to you :salute:

I think it was the first RPG to include minigames, which in hindsight was a terrible, terrible thing. 1984, the start of the cRPG decline.
:lol:

Yeah, I see what you mean. But what I meant was to see all (or at least most) of what the games had to offer mechanically rather than the content-wise.
Yeah, in this case I agree.

According to Wikipedia there were 6 games planned, with The City being the first. Apparently The Dungeon wasn't actually one of the six, but was actually just the second half of The City as the sewers were cut from it at release (which makes sense given that there is fuck all to actually do in The City).
Cool, I didn't know Dungeon and City were meant to be one game initially. I do remember reading about the titles of some of the subsequent ones at the time, but I of course don't remember any of this stuff now. Reading through the Wikipedia article was an interesting reminder of how fascinating the series' initial premise was. Shame the developers didn't have the technology/means/talent to take it all the way through.

I don't mean playing the best version. I mean playing games that weren't released for DOS. Games like Questron, Ambermoon (Amberstar sequel), The Eternal Dagger (Wizard's Crown sequel), Deathlord, Fate: Gates of Dawn and The Legend of Blacksilver (Legacy of the Ancients sequel).
Interesting, I thought Eternal Dagger got a PC release. As for Blacksilver, I never played Legacy of the Ancients but I don't remember there being much that was memorable or noteworthy about it (correct me if I'm wrong), did the sequel introduce anything really interesting? The whole Questron thing seems to have made Addict question his PC-only rule, if there's something really noteworthy about one of these games you should mention it, either here if he still reads this thread, or on his own blog, it might be unique enough to fully convince him to try his hand at an emulator again (I remember he tried and ran into trouble with Phantasie).

Demon's Winter
I had to single this one out because, while I don't think its gameplay was hugely memorable, its narrative was the most interesting thing not made by Infocom to grace the PC at this time (and yes, this includes Ultima 5). This game doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it deserves.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
MMXI said:
Stabwound said:

Maybe. They are all basically the same game, though. Just pick one and play it. They are pretty much like more advanced versions of Ultima I and II, before the series introduced parties. Top down view in towns and the over world, first person in dungeons. For 1984 I think Questron was brilliant. The other three games came way too late and were just severely outdated. Legacy of the Ancients came out in 1987 and both The Legend of Blacksilver and Questron II came out in 1988. By that time we had games like Ultima IV and V, Might and Magic I and II, Pool of Radiance and The Bard's Tale trilogy. Even SSI's other pre-Gold Box RPGs, Wizard's Crown, Eternal Dagger, the Phantasie trilogy, Shard of Spring and Demon's Winter were less primitive in terms of gameplay.

I think Legacy of the Ancients is kinda horrible. It has a cool concept, what with the museum expositions you enter and whatnot, but the execution, oh god the tedious execution, and the minigames, oh god the horrible minigames. I'd say one should give it a spin just for the sake of it, but you must be a masochist to do a completionist playthrough of that kind of game. The monotony killed it for me.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I love reading stuff by you guys MMXI and Sceptic. Just had to say that, for during that era of gaming I was more into the arcade games and only did a couple of crpg's back then.

What good games are we missing out on the PC platform I wonder ? Are they only the Amiga/Atari ones ? ( Games like Questron, Ambermoon (Amberstar sequel), The Eternal Dagger (Wizard's Crown sequel), Deathlord, Fate: Gates of Dawn and The Legend of Blacksilver (Legacy of the Ancients sequel).)
Anything else on NES maybe that is worth it ?

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Cool, I didn't know Dungeon and City were meant to be one game initially. I do remember reading about the titles of some of the subsequent ones at the time, but I of course don't remember any of this stuff now. Reading through the Wikipedia article was an interesting reminder of how fascinating the series' initial premise was. Shame the developers didn't have the technology/means/talent to take it all the way through.
Yeah. From what I can gather it was supposed to be a series that tied in together to create a large and completely immersive world with lots going on and a vast amount to both do and explore. On top of that there was supposed to be some narrative weaved in to do with aliens or some such generic bullshit. I can't really think of any other cRPG since that had the same ambition. The Wikipedia article reads like a more ambitious game design document than the shit that developers most likely produce internally today. It seems to have been conceptually completed before the first game was even released.

Sceptic said:
Interesting, I thought Eternal Dagger got a PC release.
It doesn't seem so, else I would have played the DOS version. Also, I don't remember the CRPG Addict covering it, yet it came out in 1987, a year that he's already finished with.

Sceptic said:
As for Blacksilver, I never played Legacy of the Ancients but I don't remember there being much that was memorable or noteworthy about it (correct me if I'm wrong), did the sequel introduce anything really interesting? The whole Questron thing seems to have made Addict question his PC-only rule, if there's something really noteworthy about one of these games you should mention it, either here if he still reads this thread, or on his own blog, it might be unique enough to fully convince him to try his hand at an emulator again (I remember he tried and ran into trouble with Phantasie).
Crooked Bee said:
I think Legacy of the Ancients is kinda horrible. It has a cool concept, what with the museum expositions you enter and whatnot, but the execution, oh god the tedious execution, and the minigames, oh god the horrible minigames. I'd say one should give it a spin just for the sake of it, but you must be a masochist to do a completionist playthrough of that kind of game. The monotony killed it for me.
Well, I've given my thoughts on these games already:
MMXI said:
Basically, other than the first Questron, they were all severely outdated by the time they came out. If they had all seen release before the end of 1985 then I would have thought much more highly of them. As it were, they came out far too late, in a period where we had far superior cRPGs to play.

Sceptic said:
I had to single this one out because, while I don't think its gameplay was hugely memorable, its narrative was the most interesting thing not made by Infocom to grace the PC at this time (and yes, this includes Ultima 5). This game doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it deserves.
Yeah. Demon's Winter was a pretty good game. It was a massive improvement over Shard of Spring, in my view. The story was actually interesting, especially for an 80s cRPG, and the gameplay was somewhat above average. However, it's the way that the game world fundamentally changes as the plot moves forwards that was perhaps its most revolutionary element for the genre back in 1988. All earlier cRPGs that I can think of, including the Ultima games, consisted of a world that merely sits and waits for you to explore it, with a plot that you discover throughout the game and "solve" in the final confrontation. Demon's Winter has to be one of the first cRPGs where the plot actually progresses as you move through the game. In that respect its story is told in a way far closer to modern cRPGs.

DwarvenFood said:
What good games are we missing out on the PC platform I wonder ?
I can try to dig up some more if you want. I'm sure there are quite a lot more that never appeared on the PC. Though I think at this stage I'll be looking into some pretty poor early shovelware as opposed to uncovering any gems. There must have been at least a few RPGs written exclusively for less popular machines like the Spectrum, Amstrad and the BBC Micro. Who knows?

DwarvenFood said:
I know nothing about NES games as I've never been a console player. There were NES ports for some of the old cRPGs back then, but in almost all cases the home computer versions were far better. The NES only RPGs seem to be JRPGs, a genre I know next to nothing about.

DaveO

Erudite
As far as I know, Apple II, Commodore 64 and Atari did get Eternal Dagger. His PC only rule will exclude Eternal Dagger, Phantasie II, and other RPGs. He did quit on Wizard's Crown, but even I will admit that it takes a LOT of time and patience to finish that game. Eternal Dagger made things a bit too easy with time passing quicker and the addition of being able to quick cast spells.

MMXI

Arcane
DaveO said:
As far as I know, Apple II, Commodore 64 and Atari did get Eternal Dagger. His PC only rule will exclude Eternal Dagger, Phantasie II, and other RPGs. He did quit on Wizard's Crown, but even I will admit that it takes a LOT of time and patience to finish that game. Eternal Dagger made things a bit too easy with time passing quicker and the addition of being able to quick cast spells.
Phantasie II! I knew there was another SSI cRPG that I was forgetting that was never released for the PC. Odd considering that the first and third parts were.

EDIT: Odder still, apparently there was a Japanese only Phantasie IV.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
MMXI said:
DaveO said:
Phantasie II! I knew there was another SSI cRPG that I was forgetting that was never released for the PC. Odd considering that the first and third parts were.

And Phantasie III also kind of assumes you import characters from the previous game. Phantasie II was not released on the Amiga either, but you can import characters from Phantasie I.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
It's a sad day for the CRPG Community. With a heavy heart I have to report that our beloved, potential bro apparently was corrupted by the empire of decline:

One More Skyrim Posting

CRPG Addict said:
I rescind my earlier reservations: the game is fantastic--perhaps the best CRPG I have ever played.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Dwarven Food wrote:

Actually, I quite loved Final Fantasy 3 (shame it was never released outside of Japan; I used a translated rom at The Old Computer and Nintendulator). There will inevitably be some complaints about linearity and no real dialogue options, but what really hooked me was the level design with hidden treasure everywhere and the backstory, which you pick up little hints on here and there (I'm not so big on full-on lore but the small parts that were in FF3 really piqued my imagination and made me think). The interface is quite tight as well, except when equiping and switching magic spells among your party (could have been done much simpler maybe with a separate magic spell equip menu).

So if no one minds a little 8-bit sidequest during Skyrimania I encourage you to try it (I have been encouraging CRPG Addict to try it when he hits 1990 since his site's anniversary post).

7hm

Scholar
Angelo85 said:
It's a sad day for the CRPG Community. With a heavy heart I have to report that our beloved, potential bro apparently was corrupted by the empire of decline:

One More Skyrim Posting

CRPG Addict said:
I rescind my earlier reservations: the game is fantastic--perhaps the best CRPG I have ever played.

In a shocking development, people can enjoy multiple types of games.

He likes storyline and worldbuilding stuff quite a bit, so it's not surprising.

edit: Of note, his posts before and after the 2 skyrim posts were about Wasteland. Half the people on here complaining about Skyrim being a further sign of the decline have never played Wasteland.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
My problem is not that he enjoys Skyrim. I for example do enjoy it as well.
My problem is that even though he has played so many classic CRPGs (and you are right - he played probably more CRPGS than some of our resident bros), Skyrim might in his opinion be the BEST CRPG HE EVER PLAYED.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom