Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
More like marriage destroyed his balls.

Was he even married? By what little do we know, late mr. Patzenhauer was a shut in, probably highly autistic. He died under unknown circumstances which are likely better left unrevealed. The other guy who worked on Fate has killed himself. This game is a showcase of human futility and the tragedy of human condition in more ways than one.

Thought we were talking about Addict.

Mortmal

Arcane
This is why I like him. I have Might & Magic I - IX sitting on CDs in a box, and always aspired to play them. Now that I've read his walkthroughs...not so much. It's interesting to read what's in these games in an abbreviated format, but I'm glad he's the one grinding for hours and not me.

This is depressing to read.

To each his own. Reading his writeup on Fate has actually motivated me to start playing it for the third time and finally take it all the way to the final nude scene. Of course, I left no corners uncut, heavily relied on all available meta and wasn't above outright cheating when it suited me.

I guess that dude above didn't really want to play Might & Magic all that much to begin with.

Somehow I’d never heard of the Fate game but seems like the kind of game maybe I’ll just read his walkthrough instead of playing. Sample quote:

There are options to kiss and touch your fellow party members. I don't know why I would do this.

Looks like JarlFrank is right!
Read the codex instead of crpg addict bullshit, we had a thread about it way before he learned about its existence. It's one of the best turn based blobber , undoubtly the biggest one , takes hundreds of hours to finish. It's unkown by plebs because its an amiga game , when the true gamig system was the amiga. Just run the emulator with 800% floppy speed, not even need to HD isntall. And use savestate to save your game. Some here had trouble with their save if i remember well.
Fate: Gates of Dawn - Amiga Game - Download ADF - Lemon Amiga

mondblut

Arcane
More like marriage destroyed his balls.

Was he even married? By what little do we know, late mr. Patzenhauer was a shut in, probably highly autistic. He died under unknown circumstances which are likely better left unrevealed. The other guy who worked on Fate has killed himself. This game is a showcase of human futility and the tragedy of human condition in more ways than one.

Thought we were talking about Addict.

He is still alive, not sure about the rest :smug:

Desiderius

Patron
This is why I like him. I have Might & Magic I - IX sitting on CDs in a box, and always aspired to play them. Now that I've read his walkthroughs...not so much. It's interesting to read what's in these games in an abbreviated format, but I'm glad he's the one grinding for hours and not me.

This is depressing to read.

To each his own. Reading his writeup on Fate has actually motivated me to start playing it for the third time and finally take it all the way to the final nude scene. Of course, I left no corners uncut, heavily relied on all available meta and wasn't above outright cheating when it suited me.

I guess that dude above didn't really want to play Might & Magic all that much to begin with.

Somehow I’d never heard of the Fate game but seems like the kind of game maybe I’ll just read his walkthrough instead of playing. Sample quote:

There are options to kiss and touch your fellow party members. I don't know why I would do this.

Looks like JarlFrank is right!
Read the codex instead of crpg addict bullshit, we had a thread about it way before he learned about its existence. It's one of the best turn based blobber , undoubtly the biggest one , takes hundreds of hours to finish. It's unkown by plebs because its an amiga game , when the true gamig system was the amiga. Just run the emulator with 800% floppy speed, not even need to HD isntall. And use savestate to save your game. Some here had trouble with their save if i remember well.
Fate: Gates of Dawn - Amiga Game - Download ADF - Lemon Amiga

I know my limits man.

Desiderius

Patron
Ah mainframes.

We had a couple college simulation classes that were glorified games on a mainframe in the late 80s. You'd put in your moves then have to wait until later in the day to pick up your printouts.

Codex Year of the Donut
I dislike his constant hate on 'capitalism' when reviewing earlier games and harps on how they could be free. He's overlooking that nobody except the rich could afford computers at this time period.

Do you know how much an Apple II cost at release in 1977 using 2020 USD?
$5,543.

Yes, people started charging for games... because people who needed to actually make money started being able to own computers.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I remember years ago some RPS writer shat on GOG because he felt those games should've stayed abandonware. Similar vibe sorta?

Silentstorm

Learned
We have to check what Disney thinks about it.
By the name of the Dog Demon Goofy, the Saintly Patron of men who hate pants, Donald Duck, and the almighty demon king Mickey Mouse, i summon the executives of Disney to hear what they think!

...Oh, old stuff is still property and must not be given for free, better just resell it again and maybe buy old IP's and more for an ever-increasing empire...okay then!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/

A diary in the desk (Memoirs of a Master Manipulator) had a little nonsense poem:

Bad Boys Yell
Good Girls Giggle
Rich Girls Run

After I got over my annoyance with the gender stereotypes,

Jesus, what a faggot.

I some times wonder if liberals say things like that out of pure conditioning, or if there's actually some thought behind it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/

A diary in the desk (Memoirs of a Master Manipulator) had a little nonsense poem:

Bad Boys Yell
Good Girls Giggle
Rich Girls Run

After I got over my annoyance with the gender stereotypes,

Jesus, what a faggot.

I some times wonder if liberals say things like that out of pure conditioning, or if there's actually some thought behind it.

Apparently the Addict was joking. But this is 2021, so how can one tell if a liberal is joking about this or not?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If SSI had released Greyhawk: Shattered Lands or --- God forbid! --- Forgotten Realms: Shattered Lands, then quite possibly it would have sold much better, TSR would have continued to entrust SSI with an exclusive license for D&D/AD&D, and perhaps SSI would have survived much longer, even to the present day. However, Dark Sun and other unconventional fantasy settings always sell much more poorly than the generic, standard fantasy settings. It isn't a surprise that a forum founded in large part by Fallout fans would also express fondness for the fantasy version of a post-apocalyptic setting, but this is a relative niche for the gaming community as a whole. :M

octavius

Arcane
Patron
How much did the setting impact the Dark Sun games' financial success, or lack of it?

Personally when I played the first DS game back in the days I don't recall the setting influencing me one way or the other (it was still Fantasy), but I was disappointed by the lack of proper GB combat and I didn't play it very far.
When I played it properly some years ago, I was disappointed that not more was done with the setting. Why does lack of water play no role, for example?
Also, the lack of fog of war bothered me, as well as the very uneven combat difficulty. Most of the game the combat is too easy, so I found it hard to "stay sharp".
And "psi" always tend to bore me, both in games and in SF.

So to me the only real incline compared to the GB games was the better dialogue and quest systems.

And I think the Dark Sun franchise was at least partly ruined by all the bugs in the second game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess the Crimson Sands project is still plodding along. Would a Dark Sun construction set gone over well? FRUA sure seems to never have stopped. The BTCS I'd say was a failure. Just not much there. Arcanum construction? I dunno. Doesn't seem much. If all the old files could be found ACS vs ACK would teeter more towards ACS even though "Ultima IV Part 2: Dude, Where's My Avatar?" was done quite well. A Ravenloft/underdark construction set? Maybe. Dungeon Hack is about as close to an EOB random pseudo-construction you'll see. You won't see another spelljammer crpg ever.

I look back at Hillsfar and see a failure. It could have been a goldbox solo adventure but it had no fucking tactical combat. Sort of remedied in AOL Neverwinter nights but that cost.. fuck it!

A proper Dragonlance Metroidvania? That could work if done properly. I have to say I really hated Heroes of the Lance/Dragons of Flame. They're playable but I lose interest and its easily memorized.

its funny that Dragonstrike NES/PC had two versions. I really wonder if Larian Dragon Commander was influenced by that game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Looks like he just started playing Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and he loves it and wonders why it never became more popular:

https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2021/10/game-434-dark-sun-shattered-lands-1993.html

If enough others had his reaction, maybe SSI would have survived a bit longer.

If SSI had released Greyhawk: Shattered Lands or --- God forbid! --- Forgotten Realms: Shattered Lands, then quite possibly it would have sold much better, TSR would have continued to entrust SSI with an exclusive license for D&D/AD&D, and perhaps SSI would have survived much longer, even to the present day. However, Dark Sun and other unconventional fantasy settings always sell much more poorly than the generic, standard fantasy settings. It isn't a surprise that a forum founded in large part by Fallout fans would also express fondness for the fantasy version of a post-apocalyptic setting, but this is a relative niche for the gaming community as a whole. :M

Maybe back in these days, when the market was slowly opening to the masses, boring fantasy had wind in its sails but i'm quite sure, with all the successful apocalyptic games and movies we had, it's the other way around, now, the world is ready for Dark Sun settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom