Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CRPGAddict

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by 7hm, Jan 5, 2011.

1. BruceVC Augur

BruceVC
    Brilliant post and I agree 100 % with what I should do next, I appreciate your conviction as that kind of belief is something I find convincing and you can back it up with actual data and real gaming experience which I always prefer

I am just doing more research on the Gold Box games and I need to play Ultima 5 so I will be relatively active in these discussions and will ask questions :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Word of advice BruceVC :

If you're going to play Pool of Radiance, do yourself a favor and choose the updated, patched version available in the "Ruins of Myth Drannor" package. Basically the same game, but with quality of life improvements!

You'll thank me later!

Show Spoiler
    Just don't try to uninstall it. It's so good it should stay on your drive forever!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Fishy Fishy x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Is that horrendous bug still an issue? I don't really care to find out.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    You can also play pool of radiance using FRUA , it's the best version using the latest gold box improvemnents , like auto memorizing spells at rest. Only drawback is you wont be able to import characters to the next one . Another important thing when discovering them is its Ad&d 1E , not even 2E . So demi humans (probably an horrible forbidden word nowadays and soon auto filtered here too) are not able to gain as many levels as human characters, they can multiclass however and keep leveling in rogue. By the end of the saga pool of darkness when you tackle gods ,they are completely outclassed by human characters who do not multiclass but can dual classes. It's worth reading a guide for specific party composition, most often 2 ranger/cleric 1 wizard 1 rogue is good if i remember well.
    Now if you start the krynn saga its not even the same rules for elves and dwarves according their ethnicity . Qualenisti elves , have access to more levels , dwarves can get to max fighter etc.... Worth reading a full guide to check exactly by classes and races (another horrible word) , some unique class like knight is in too.
    Wish we had similar releases again.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I haven't tried the frua version but I suspect most of the currencies and treasures and weird shit is missing. GBC is best when playing goldbox imho. It is a true companion.

let's see

where the hell is the c64 longplay. That be my first gold boxing

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. BarãodoDesterro Novice

BarãodoDesterro
    I respect you a lot, given our past interactions and silently reading of different threads (because I can’t vote yet).

Have you ever made or planned an all-time “must play” list? There is a Chet’s list, some more or less mainstream lists compiled by Felipe, but it would be interesting to access your take on the matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. BruceVC Augur

BruceVC
    ^ Top  
  8. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Just download them somewhere. Both SSI and TSR are long dead.
    Do you like DM-clones? Dungeon Master, Lands of Lore, Legend of Grimrock? Then you should play Eye of the Beholder series. Blobber, RT-combat, 1st person, grid movement, no automapping, good dungeons (and nothing else, the game itself a dungeon crawler as they come). If you prefer a more story-heavy games with the global wilderness map, peaceful city areas and TB tactical combat - jump straight into PoR and other GB.

It was a sticky in GRPGD once. Somewhat outdated, but still relevant.
    http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-the-must-play-games.55367
    Just take any game from the first part of the list. If you like its subgenre or elements - it should be right up your alley. For example, if you like exploration-heavy RPGs, Exiles, Wiz7 and Might and Magics are a must. Focus on the TB-combat? Nahlakh. Strange worlds? Aleshar, Exile 1-2, Dark Sun...

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Pool of Radiance (the original) is great after you learn to deal with its somewhat kludgy interface. I'm a dumbass millennial with no backbone but it was so good I finished it anyway without any walkthroughs or FAQs or gold box companions*. Even drew my own maps!

(*Granted, I had read the CRPG Addict blog about it, but that's all.)

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • nice nice x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. BruceVC Augur

BruceVC
    How did you find Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, I heard the creator and developer is a Codex member? What an achievement creating a game more or less by yourself :salute:

• incline incline x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. BruceVC Augur

BruceVC
    Its good to know younger people also enjoy these Gold Box set games

• incline incline x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Well, I'm 35, so not exactly young anymore... :negative:

I wonder if people who've never used DOS running on real hardware have the stomach for PoR?

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Absolute masterpiece with some wrinkles.
    Citing myself from 2017:
    He came to Codex because thought that it was full of trolls who belittle his unfinished game. Stayed for the atmosphere.
    By the way, check another great Codexian game:
    https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/note-of-the-outskirts-blobber-by-cryptrat.136541/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. BruceVC Augur

BruceVC
    I know I keep saying this but I never played any of the Wizardry games either but the main reason for me not playing all these older RPG , that include Ultima and M&M, was because I grew up in the last 15 years of Apartheid in the 1980's or so and sanctions prevented access to much fantasy products. But I did buy fantasy goods in London and the USA in the 1980's where I was fortunate enough to go on holiday once a year

So I also have added the Wizardry series to my list and I particularly like the history and design of Grimoire so that is definitely at the top of my list of classis RPG to play :cool:

• incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Just keep in mind that it could be easily divided into several categories.
    Original series (Wiz1-3) - purest and quintessential dungeon crawlers
    A very special game for fans (Wiz4), just like Chaos Strikes Back is Dungeon Master with hardcoreness to the max. Plus some interesting ideas like wandering NPCs (as I remember) that later became a staple.
    Unfinished Bradley's game plus Wiz1-3 that became Wiz5.
    Bradley's games - Wiz6-7. A lot of exploration, dungeons, open world in Wiz7, new character and magic system...
    Wiz8 - it tried to became Wiz7, but lost all great dungeons of the original.
    I liked all of them, more or less, but make your own mind.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    DOS was like a speedrun for the goldbox, bardstale, might & magic and wizardry. Go back to c64 or appleII and patience you must learn.

LOADING ....
    PLEASE WAIT .................
    PLEASE INSERT Disk 3 side B
    ACCESSING.....
    PLEASE WAIT .......

Might & Magic 2 c64.... lordy the fuck!
    And I thought the Bardstales were slow.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Harthwain Magister

Harthwain
    What are you talking about? You don't have to know DOS (which was a nightmare to navigate through) to be able to appreciate good games made for that system. Especially now, when you can easily find instructions how to run them in DOS emulators, step-by-step.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Learned something new there, never knew apartheid was preventing to play rpgs ! Way to ruin one childhood, what an horrible system on both side of the fence...I bet even eastern block were playing such rpgs.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've been thinking that us Codexers need to get together at some point and do a pre-Fallout top RPG list.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Lol, nobody had private computers or western games. Maybe some high ranking officals, but not normal people.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    That's why local HAM radio journals had schematics for home computers on 8080 since '83.
    Also a lot of playing was done on the university mainframes and other machines.

^ Top  
  22. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    The schematics don't help you much if you don't have the infrastructure to actually build the chips and the rest

Edit: btw. not saying that there weren't computers in the East block, just not in private hands. Usually, build for the state departments and even there not widely available

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Lol whut?
    That's Intel 8080, Intel 8086 and Z80.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Licorice Arcane Wumao

Licorice
    2020. Civilization has progressed little.
    Family uad a 286 in Yugoslavia from '85. Later got a 486 from Western Germany.

There were Eeastern clones of most Intel chips e.g. for the 286 specifically https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U80601

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    I should have been more precise, they didn't have the infrastructure to mass manufacture PC for personal use. Happy

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.