Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CRPGAddict

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by 7hm, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    That definitely wasn't the case in East Germany, I knew nobody who had a PC and the first ones we got were after the fall of the wall. Maybe it was different in other countries, though I doubt that personal PC were widely available before the end of the Soviet Union

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Here's an interesting overview about the topic https://hackaday.com/2014/12/15/home-computers-behind-the-iron-curtain/

On production and availability (reminds me a lot of access to cars then)

Home Computers not in homes (this was pretty much my experience as well)

Though it seems the Czech had better access to imports, which wasn't as easy in East Germany, so experience might differ

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Only you could. On the local flea market or, sometimes, even in the shops. It's was a most used chip (with its TTL brother 7400) after all, everyone wanted it.
    Yep, home computers were rare things, but don't think that no one had them or that their numbers were not raising.
    EDIT:
    (autism) x 1 Grauken
    That's the pot calling the kettle a n.iggеr.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. V_K Arcane

V_K
    It would really help to define what years exactly we are talking about. In late 80s USSR (I'm thinking 1988 onwards), personal computers definitely were a thing - an exotic thing, granted, but still. From about 1993 they stopped being exotic.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Up to 1989

^ Top  
  6. BruceVC Augur

BruceVC
    Apartheid wasnt stopping you playing RPG but the sanctions from the UN stopped certain imports, including PC equipment and most games, from being easily available in the country

And I had a fantastic childhood, I wasnt exposed to any Apartheid related violence in the 1980's and I got to go overseas to London and Austria once a year so Im definitely not complaining about my childhood ;)

• sheeeeiiiit sheeeeiiiit x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    It was a poor choice of words on my part. I didn't mean to imply you'd have to know DOS; I, too, am familiar with GOG.com's handy DOSBox shortcuts ;)

What I tried to say is that I wonder if people, presumably younger, who've never before had to deal with a clunky keyboard-only interface, low res 16 color graphics and PC speaker sounds have the strength of character to dig through all that to find the gem hidden underneath. I did, but I grew up with the EGA graphics and the beeper sounds of e.g. the early Apogee games, so the shock was considerably lessened.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Just ignore him, that's a local butthurt subhuman retard.
    BTW, PoR's interface, as you remember, was already better in the CoAB. It only took addition of "fix" button and remembering that spells you memorized last time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Indeed, but the game itself is not nearly as captivating as its prequel is (apart from the awesome otyughs in the sewer, of course). I only managed to play it about halfway through before losing interest, but I do intend to eventually give it another shot.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Harthwain Magister

Harthwain
    Good point.

I did play games using joysticks and keyboard-only controls, but having a mouse makes it so much easier to find your way around that I can see people who are used to mouse being a standard bouncing off a lot of games because of this reason alone.

I think you can help people overcome this in two ways: recommending games where keyboard control scheme feels natural enough due to how the game plays (Time Commando comes to mind) and recommending good games, so people get invested in the game enough to overlook its clunky controls.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    The Amiga version was even better; you could Join scrolls.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Yep, some parts of CoAB were somewhat iffy.
    Have you tried Krynn and the Savage Frontier series? I especially recommend the latter. It's short and very charming. Plus, it tries adding new things to the formula. From multi-part combat map to low-key romance (!) between one of your party and NPC years before Albion and Bioware.
    Damn, it's very useful!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    It took me a long time to get into the Gold Box games due to the keyboard only interface. It finally clicked with the Gold Box Companion as an interface enhancer (although full mouse control would of course be preferable).

The biggest hurdle for 80s games isn't visuals, but controls.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    On pc, on amiga every game had mouse control and icon interfaces way before its time.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    Krynn only very briefly as Dragonlance really isn't to my taste. Savage Frontier I haven't played at all; is it worth even trying if I only have short playing periods irregularly? My life is rather chaotic at the moment, I cannot really focus intensively on anything.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Morpheus Kitami Arbiter

Morpheus Kitami
    Amiga emulation is harder than DOSbox, even if you're not going to the trouble of installing AmigaOS. It just ends up with a different issue. While there are pre-built emulation environments around, they still require a bit of know-how to get working.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Savage Frontier is very much a solve a city after city plot token hunt

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Anyone wanting to try old games is willing to put some effort in.

And a bit more effort up front is preferable to constant effort throughout the game because of a cumbersome interface.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Try it. I remember finishing GttSF just in two days. You always could a stop after, for example, foiling Society of Kraken's plans in the first city.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Morpheus Kitami Arbiter

Morpheus Kitami
    True, but the subject is about people who don't necessarily want to put in that effort. Having to do minor fiddling if its not something your heart is in might be enough to make you stop. I know it took me a while to get used to Amiga emulation, and I was actually trying.

^ Top  
  21. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    For me the best part was the final battles in Gateway of the SF. Quite unique in the GB games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    There's one executable to install winuAE, you download the amiga bios and put it in the folder thats all. Any tweaking is extremely easy to do . If someone cant do that he cant possibly enjoy those old games, or will play 5 min and stop like for GOG dosbox games.
    People are just getting incredibly lazy.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Besides, it's almost impossible for one to being unable to find a single tutorial on "how to play this old as fuck computer game on your OS" now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Um, no. There is a fuckton of amiga bioses some of which are incompatible with some games, there is a fuckton of obscure settings that can make any game run better or worse (or not at all). And don't get me started with AmigaOS, floppies and shit.

Compare and contrast to dosbox, where you just up everything reasonably high, mount your dos game folder as a hard drive, run a fucking norton commander (!) then launch anything the old way without any fidgeting, one size fits all.

I don't miss making boot disks or autoexec.bat loading menus at all, and Amiga emulation stinks of it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Narushima Savant

Narushima
    No need. Just drag and drop the game's .exe or .bat onto the Dosbox .exe directly in Windows.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.