Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Mortmal

Arcane
Not really, unlike say, the PSX, its not obvious which BIOS you should use. And its worth pointing out that not all BIOS work in WinUAE, I have some that don't. Its not obvious what the settings do when you're just starting out, and that includes the model numbers. And that's what, five pages of settings you don't know anything about? Compared to basically every other system they could emulate, which at absolute worst means getting a single BIOS and typing some commands they don't understand.

Precisely.

Imagine being unable to run a DOS game because it needs a 386 emulated processor rather than DX2-66, cannot output EGA graphics with SVGA device, and cannot handle more than 2 megabytes of RAM. Oh, and needs DOS 4.03, no less and, god forbid, no more. That's the secret of understanding WinUAE :/
Just use the A500 bios , its extremely rare it wont work , then use 1 mega of ram that's the max ever asked . Set floppy speed to 800% and load the game . Eventually change the window size , that's all there is to do. Even using the A1200 bios and max ram, i never encountered any problem, i dont know whats going on your side.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Figuring out how to use WinUAE wasn't difficult for me and I tend to struggle with this kind of thing without having explicit directions to follow, and was also coming to it without ever having gotten to use an Amiga before so I wasn't familiar with any of it.

I was wanting to play Fate: Gates of Dawn over the weekend, so I had to familiarize myself with the emulator and learn what would be necessary to play the game properly. It didn't take very long for me to understand the basics and then to find copies of the 1.3 and 3.1 workbenches and kickstarts. I configured the emulator after reading up on the requirements of the game, setting the chipset to ECS and memory at 1mb and was playing it without problems in a matter of minutes. Certainly I have much to learn to really grasp the full potential of the emulator, but just getting a specific game I wanted to run was a matter of less than an hour total of reading some information easily found online.

Setting up DOSBox to play various games in different formats took a similar amount of time for me, because initially I also wasn't aware that you could drag and drop game executables and was making myself multiple instances after mounting .cue game images to install them, leaving myself notepad instructions with the names of directories and run commands for each game and so on. Lately I just have been using the D-Fend Reloaded front end not only for convenience but for the simplified and neat organization, having everything in one place with the necessary documents (for instance Gold Box adventurer's journals, although Gold Box Companion negates this requirement) easily accessible.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried and failed to get a couple of Amiga emulators working a while back, when I wanted to try Captive 2. Not sure what exactly I did wrong, but my understanding was that for those emulators you're required to sail the high seas for some machine-specific files, similar to how you need legit BIOSes for Playstation emulation. It may be that I failed to get the right one. But then I didn't try too hard, either. The game didn't look THAT good.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ditto. Front ends are nice.
The ultimate version being eXoDOS, where you can download individual games straight from the LaunchBox interface.
No shit? I'd not heard of this one, but that is incredibly cool and convenient!
I thought the way D-Fend enables certain games to be drag and dropped in with a configuration already established was neat, but that is even better. Thank you for letting me know about it.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You can always pay for AmigaForever and get a legit Workbench.
I actually did consider this a while back, but wasn't sure how much I'd actually end us using it, but I see that it is pretty cheap.. I might actually get it for myself. Would you recommend it, or you don't use it?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Would you recommend it, or you don't use it?

Unless you can find "prepackaged" games, like Evil's Doom from The Company, I'd recommend it.
I used AF when I played Amiga games some years ago, but now I've reached 2001 on my chronological play list, so I'm not using it anymore. But as you said, it's quite cheap, you get a legit OS, and it's somewhat more user friendly than WinUAE.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
people who think amiga emulators are hard to use probably used winuae
fsuae just werks out of the box
That figures.. I have both, but defaulted to WinUAE. Oh well, I'll probably end up doing as octavius suggests and try AmigaForever, it is negligibly cheap and I do have a decent list of Amiga games I'd like to try.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

"Excess"

"Overgrown"

"Extreme"

... what they mean is a superior biological organ to Muh Dik Ultrawinners.

"Extensive pruning of local connectivity"

I think the scientific word for that is STUPID.

Asperger_vs_normal_brain.jpg

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
I just have been using the D-Fend Reloaded
Ditto. Front ends are nice.
The ultimate version being eXoDOS, where you can download individual games straight from the LaunchBox interface.

Thanks for this suggestion, its the first time I have ever heard of eXoDOS

This CRPGAddict thread is a wealth of useful information, nice one :salute:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Some fans put ready to use packs out there, like for Dragon Wars, nothing to do but to unzip them.
That's as far as i'm willing to go, i've used emulators before, back when you needed a shitload of plugs-in and fine tune configuration... No more!

Getting the right cycles with DosBox is bad enough.
Really? I'd like a link to that one. I have had so many crashes with DW i gave up on that emu version. DW was damn aweson on amiga. When i saw DOS version i was turned off.

mondblut

Arcane
Figuring out how to use WinUAE wasn't difficult for me and I tend to struggle with this kind of thing without having explicit directions to follow, and was also coming to it without ever having gotten to use an Amiga before so I wasn't familiar with any of it.

This is not a matter of "figuring how to use" but how to achieve optimal performance for a given game. With dosbox, you just set everything up to eleven, then take off some cycles if it runs too fast for you. With winuae, well, good luck finding a combination of cpu, chipset, 2 kinds of memories and rom that won't make playing the game a torturously slow and stuttering experience.

I was wanting to play Fate: Gates of Dawn over the weekend, so I had to familiarize myself with the emulator and learn what would be necessary to play the game properly. It didn't take very long for me to understand the basics and then to find copies of the 1.3 and 3.1 workbenches and kickstarts. I configured the emulator after reading up on the requirements of the game, setting the chipset to ECS and memory at 1mb and was playing it without problems in a matter of minutes. Certainly I have much to learn to really grasp the full potential of the emulator, but just getting a specific game I wanted to run was a matter of less than an hour total of reading some information easily found online.

After two failed approaches (with winuae) over 2 decades I eventually finished Fate with a FSUAE bundle.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/56byguvo0tsi5lu/Megapaket-Fate+-+Gates+of+Dawn.rar/file

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
eXoDOS has good collections. The rpg one is great.

Some of the more obscure titles, perhaps?
It's supposed to be all DOS rpg. But obviously, it will be probably missing some obscure title.
Their website says that "The focus is on games that were either released in English or are fairly easy to play without a knowledge of the native language.", so you won't find Japanese, Korean or Chinese stuff, or even French & German games that the CRPG Addict played, like Tera: La Cité des Crânes or Nippon. Still, it's an amazing project, they even added fan-translated stuff like The Romance of the Forgotten Kingdom, from Korea.

Clearly they know what their doing :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom