Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crusade system - How does it compare to Kingdom management?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Differences:

- Oleg said it reminded him of Civilization
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png

- No time limits but player will be 'motivated' in a different way

Similarities:

- Advisors are still a thing
- First 10 hours wont have crusades

What else do we know?

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Differences:

- Oleg said it reminded him of Civilization
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png

- No time limits but player will be 'motivated' in a different way

Similarities:

- Advisors are still a thing
- First 10 hours wont have crusades

What else do we know?
This thread is useless. We don't know nearly enough to even speculate about.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
should be something similar to Dragon Age Inquisition
Wait, what? Inquisition is essentially browser game bullshit of pointless IRL timers ported into a regular game to artificially pump gameplay time. A design choice so utterly fucktarded I can't really think of any other major studio copying it despite the typical corporate trend of parroting every major AAA feature recently released. I don't play MMOs though, so maybe it still vegetates somewhere down that pit.

jac8awol

Arbiter
I don't think they're dumb enough to ape anything from DA:I, surely? Well I was thinking that in these games where you have to gather allies or troops the game usually ends up shooting itself in the foot with difficulty curve. Case in point, DA:Origins, and even Dark Sun. If you go to the trouble of gathering as many allies as you can, as you should, the final battle becomes a cakewalk. I absolutely hate that. Baseline difficulty for final battle (or any battle) should assume that you gathered every ally available. Anything less should be brutally difficult/impossible. Stop punishing players for being completionists. Owlcat, I'm sure you have dudes reading some of these posts. Cater to the grognards.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Wait, what? Inquisition is essentially browser game bullshit of pointless IRL timers ported into a regular game to artificially pump gameplay time.

That's pretty much what Kingdom management is.

No reason insofar to expect anything different from the Crusade system.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait, what? Inquisition is essentially browser game bullshit of pointless IRL timers ported into a regular game to artificially pump gameplay time.

That's pretty much what Kingdom management is.

No reason insofar to expect anything different from the Crusade system.
They have more time to work on these additional features, since they already have a working base for the game. They worked on an identical project for more than 3 years now, it's not unreasonable to hope that they learned something and that they won't need to waste too much time working on problems that they already solved during these years.

This doesn't give me certainty that this won't be shit, but at least it's something

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really wish they'd just axe the stupid mini-games. The kingdom management in part one was the worst nosedive in quality I have ever seen in a game. You just finished one of the best opening acts of any RPG with a compelling and satisfying finale and then the game just implodes and you are left with this fucking trainwreck of a sim game.... It was enough to almost kill the whole game for me.

All I want for part two is for them to scrap this stuff and just make a pure rpg. Without Kingdom management party one would have been on par with Baldur's Gate. They have pure gold all they need to do is not to grease it in a coat of diarrhea.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I really wish they'd just axe the stupid mini-games. The kingdom management in part one was the worst nosedive in quality I have ever seen in a game. You just finished one of the best opening acts of any RPG with a compelling and satisfying finale and then the game just implodes and you are left with this fucking trainwreck of a sim game.... It was enough to almost kill the whole game for me.

All I want for part two is for them to scrap this stuff and just make a pure rpg. Without Kingdom management party one would have been on par with Baldur's Gate. They have pure gold all they need to do is not to grease it in a coat of diarrhea.

They seem to have embraced it. WotR is even worse than PFK in this regard, just look at their stretch goals.

Feature bloat is now the series' trademark.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

They seem to have embraced it. WotR is even worse than PFK in this regard, just look at their stretch goals.

Feature bloat is now the series' trademark.

Sad :negative:

Then the best move will probably be to wait a year past release and get the "complete goty enhanced edition" and hope there are enough mods by this point to cut the crap content

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

Yeah not so much. Have you even replayed Baldur's Gate in the last 10 years? I did, and it ain't pretty : shitty exploration, terribly writing, nonsensical simple quests, sterile encounter design. The whole narrative doesn't even hold up, as the player's personal motivation are without explanation tied to the larger issues that you have to solve ; it really reeks of bad DMing. It's a pretty shit game to be honest ; if there were no other IE games, or even no BG2, it would have been forgotten. Sure, it does some low-level dnd stuff okay - a certain sense of progression, exciting itemization, okay system overall (that was re-used in other games, to much better effect). Sometimes there are some good quests, and encounters, but they are far too sparse to make a good game.

Anyway, I suppose BG being a fairly mediocre game doesn't touch on the fact that Kingmaker would have been better without the management system ; it does say that it is still better without it, though, I would say. Kingmaker is better than BG - period., r00fles. But yeah, personally I think it was a good idea - it does anchor the player in some kind of larger considerations that rpgs sometimes strive for, but are unable to reach because they stick to a limited party-based system. I think in fact Kingmaker's greatest idea was the management system ; without it, it would be "a pure rpg", whatever that means - if it means remaking BG, then yeah, we've been there, no thanks. If BG was remade today, it would be shit.

Tigranes

Arcane
"Have you replayed Baldur's Gate in the last 10 years?"

I did, about ten times, and it was good. And I would still take it to a desert island over PKM, though I liked PKM.

You think the entire world stopped playing it in 1997 and you brave heroe ventured into the depths of the long forgotten tomb to discover a secret truth we have all forgotten nope you just have shit taste

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Yeah not so much. Have you even replayed Baldur's Gate in the last 10 years? I did, and it ain't pretty : shitty exploration, terribly writing, nonsensical simple quests, sterile encounter design. The whole narrative doesn't even hold up, as the player's personal motivation are without explanation tied to the larger issues that you have to solve ; it really reeks of bad DMing. It's a pretty shit game to be honest ; if there were no other IE games, or even no BG2, it would have been forgotten. Sure, it does some low-level dnd stuff okay - a certain sense of progression, exciting itemization, okay system overall (that was re-used in other games, to much better effect). Sometimes there are some good quests, and encounters, but they are far too sparse to make a good game.

Anyway, I suppose BG being a fairly mediocre game doesn't touch on the fact that Kingmaker would have been better without the management system ; it does say that it is still better without it, though, I would say. Kingmaker is better than BG - period., r00fles. But yeah, personally I think it was a good idea - it does anchor the player in some kind of larger considerations that rpgs sometimes strive for, but are unable to reach because they stick to a limited party-based system. I think in fact Kingmaker's greatest idea was the management system ; without it, it would be "a pure rpg", whatever that means - if it means remaking BG, then yeah, we've been there, no thanks. If BG was remade today, it would be shit.

I would call you a retarded zoomer, but then I saw the join date. So I assume you aren't. But I don't get the attitude "the game is more than three years old, so it is unplayable". Not only do I still play it and don't mind the age, but BG is pretty much the cut off for me regarding proper crpgs. No matter how much I love the infinty engine games they were the beginning of the popamolefication of rpgs. So the only issue I have with BG would be that it is too modern. It could be released today and it would still be as awesome as it was back then (and that is exactly what people are trying and failing to do since Pillars). What is your issue with it? The only aspect where it shows it's age is the resolution. Or do you need a more diverse cast and proper sex scenes?

raptor_jesus

Novice

Did you replay the trilogy or did you play the Enhanced Editions? Because the new npcs were so bad as to actively detract from the experience retroactively. (And they somehow managed to introduce new bugs despite being contractually forbidden from touching the original content. Funny how that works) To say nothing of the entirety of the Siege of Dragonspear, the interquel that nobody asked for, needed, or wanted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom