Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Crying Suns - FTL-like tactical space roguelite set in Dune-inspired universe

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hmm that certainly put's it into question wether it is even worth my time. FTL is good, but I havn't even finished that and had my fill after 13hours of it.
I wish this game was turn based, then I wouldn't have waited a second before buying it.
Probably a safe skip then. Combat in Crying Suns is actually faster than FTL even though they work on the same general idea, but since you're ordering squadrons of fighters around there's less waiting on cooldowns and more constant jiggling little ships. And the setting and look of Crying Suns is cool but probably not strong enough to warrant diving in if FTL didn't float your boat that much to begin with. There're probably a few people out there that like it more than FTL but I'd be a bit hard pressed to nail down why, and the most likely candidates would probably be the setting and graphics.

Game will be free on Epic games in a week. Patience wins again.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished it [32 hours]

I don't know how to review the game because some parts are garbage and some parts are brilliant.

While combat mechanics are sound the combat often devolves in retarded clicking-clusterfucks because weapon classes are unbalanced. Anti-squadron weapons are absolute shit if you cannot perfect time each shoot and ... you won't. That's why in this game drones builds are better than weapons builds.

The good part is that the game is less RNG than FTL but once you figure out the optimal build for a ship then you can repeat the same thing until the end of the game. The game simply doesn't challenge you in the same way as FTL. You don't need to adapt in this game as much as in FTL.

I've spent 8 hours to beat chapter 3 with a complete 100% max anti-squadron Jericho class ship and I got fucked because the end boss for that chapter had one more drone that me. The outcome of that fight is decided by having an anti-drones build and perfect time/aim each weapon shoot. I don't deny that it's possible to do it right but I could not get right in several almost perfect runs up to that point.

I got frustrated and I decided to revert back to an ultimate Bomber ship: Kaos ship class + 25% speed bump for drones + upgraded bomber drones. The consequence was that I steamrolled the complete game: each boss fight was won in the 1st try including the last fight.

I honestly don't know what to say except that this should not be possible if the game's design was well thought: it looks like there is no way to counter a drone build except by having more drones (wtf!?)

On the other hand the chapter's stories and the overall story is absolutely brilliant. It's a combination of Asimov + Dune + Jodorowsky + Battlestar Galatica + others. It should not work but it does and it's so good that it basically elevates the entire game to another level. It's much better than FTL. Probably the most Asimov like game I've ever played.

The game is like 1 potato on certain steam key sites and the story alone makes this game worth playing but I cannot recommend it with a clear conscience because someone must suffer through a lot of shit to get to the good parts.

chapter 3 boss fight
3F583ED091A4E3EE0A10CCB9F82B1925D637A956

chapter 4 boss fight
85EE1D9BA97A20366AF6469155B6809041D67DE8

chapter 5 boss fight
478FA77A75637028A410CFD9EBF4743984BA0C66

ending stuff
3DCE4CD38B148097DD0340B90FCC4BCCAB71D5F3

40505585624A917FB62761E0DEBFF07F708A9D5E

C580CC3FEE8D1A6C50143A3D5C998A2987E05D49

B6F5873CAF612C5E59C95457A5E278BFFD7443E1

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom