Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis 2 leak

Quilty

Magister
MetalCraze said:

What the... Are you kidding me? Now I'm not a big FPS fan and certainly haven't spent enough time in such games to be a fair judge, but those screens don't look much better than the ones from, say, Call of Pripyat. Hell, those ground textures look worse than Half Life 2. Judging by these screens, Just Cause 2 looks better than this. And that game ran extremely smoothly on my two year old rig.

Not that I care, really, I still get much more immersed in quality 2D, for some reason.

EDIT: Hell, Far Cry 2 looked better. That shit wasn't even a game, it was just a driving simulator with cybernegroes in t-shirts but it was still probably better than this bland thing.

Raapys

Arcane
Ugh, view distance is like 50 meters before the fog hits in. Reminds me of unmodded Morrowind.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well at least they stopped pretending that Crysis had DX10 effects.
Godrays and object based motion blur are available in DX9 renderer right away.

But now we can bitch that games not only played better yesterday but also looked better.

As for the viewdistance - as soon as a more or less bigger firefight happens - between you, soldiers and aliens - the fog comes even closer to the camera as if something is burning.

The release date for the game is 25th of March. That means it goes into print in ~2 weeks.

JarlFrank said:
What the fuck is with the gigantic interface elements? The minimap and ammo counter take up SO FUCKING MUCH of the screen :retarded:

When you launch the game the first thing you see is

"Press start to begin"

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
MetalCraze said:
JarlFrank said:
What the fuck is with the gigantic interface elements? The minimap and ammo counter take up SO FUCKING MUCH of the screen :retarded:
When you launch the game the first thing you see is

"Press start to begin"
That's all that needs to be said about this abomination of a game for most people to get the picture.
Going multiplatform took away the one thing that made their games stand out. It's now generic popamole.

Raapys

Arcane
I never even got that 'Press start to begin' thing in the first place. Why is it even there? I've hated it every time I've played on a console as well.

That's not all though; first time you start the game, you get a brightness configuration thingy. That one says something like 'If it's still too dark/bright, you may need to adjust your TV'.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And you also have to scroll through settings (including resolutions) instead of having drop-lists like in normal PC games.

At least the menu has (nearly useless) mouse support. Because you can't even scroll normally through options with it due to arrows being so ridiculously small.

As for popamole - yes it's there. When you see some box you crouch behind it and then you hold RMB and play it exactly like popamole shooter. And you can't even lean to the side of the box because you have no button for it. Q is for "maximum armour", E is for "cloak".

I dropped the game at the beginning of the third level. Crysis 1 was much better and I never really seen a game in it.

I seriously don't understand why do they need 100+ people to make this? It's just a very linear corridor with occasional cutscenes and areas designed specifically for combat with same looking walls blocking streets (think HL2).

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, love that part. Stupid 10+ clicks just to choose my resolution. And this from the developer who did one of the most technically impressive PC-exclusive games of the decade.

Decline of the Germans.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
As for popamole - yes it's there. When you see some box you crouch behind it and then you hold RMB and play it exactly like popamole shooter.
Does that put you in third person or are you still in first person? At least in the latter case there is less popamole...

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's still first person. But ultimately the box is quite useless as you still play it Crysis way mostly.
Meaning - cloaked, killed 1-2 guys, cloaked, killed 1-2 guys - repeat repeat.

You also collect alien tissue and buy suit upgrades which make the game even easier. The first upgrade you buy shows you bullet trajectories (like solid lines in the air) so you instantly see from where they fly

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Jack said:
Very linear. Seems they took inspiration from the CoD series. Didn't encounter any bugs at all though.

You're kidding, right? They wouldn't have been so stupid as to remove the one thing that made Crysis and Far Cry so fun to play, i.e. the expansive non-linear levels?

God damn it.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Same reaction. What the fuck?

The first Crysis was excellent up until when it became Descent, and then it became linear, and then I fucking quit.

If Crysis 2 decided to continue from the worst part of the first game, then they learned nothing from the reviews, most of which criticized the linear end section.

This leak may have been a blessing. If these impressions are true, then the game is 100% dead to me.

a budda

Arbiter
each of their games was worse in terms of open world, now graphics too

and to think they used to set the pace in this area...

can't wait to see "omg wegots crysis itsbeautifull/11"
reminds me of DOOM on amiga times :smug:

i'll never understand why some people just have to get more ferraris instead of doing exactly just that what brought them the first one :roll:

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
What amazes me is that the first Crysis was a techdemo, to show what could be done at the time, and Crysis 2 shackled itself to consoles, tech that is over 5 years old by todays development. What kind of fucking braindead choice was that? Oh, right, Money.

Any respect I had for Crytech and them pushing boundaries of technology has swiftly vaporised since choosing to make a subpar product for inferior technology.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
You're absolutely fucking mental if you expected them to push the envelope again after the kicking they recieved from hardware enthusiasts at crysis's launch. Only now can you run crysis at max, 1080p at acceptable framerates. And it's been how many GPU cycles?

I can still remember all everyone on this very forum complaining about the framerates they were getting, and the word "unoptimised" being thrown around. Fucking memory of a goldfish this forum has.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fizz is right. Instead of making graphics at least for current-gen hardware they decided to make it for 6 years old one :roll:

baronjohn

Cipher
When they pushed the graphics the KKKodex whined about Crysis being a soul less graphicswhore techdemo even though on lower settings it ran and looked much better than games with the UT3 engine.

Now they whine because the graphics aren't good enough.

You can't please the KKKodex

Pika-Cthulhu said:
What amazes me is that the first Crysis was a techdemo, to show what could be done at the time, and Crysis 2 shackled itself to consoles, tech that is over 5 years old by todays development. What kind of fucking braindead choice was that? Oh, right, Money.

Any respect I had for Crytech and them pushing boundaries of technology has swiftly vaporised since choosing to make a subpar product for inferior technology.

You mean companies want to make money?

Quite the interesting insight, please tell me more

/kc

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Trash said:
Looks perfectly fine and isn't that first part in NY supposed to be the tutorial?
It isn't much different in the later levels. Not quite as linear as CoD, but very close to.

I forgot to mention that you no longer have a health bar, screen gets smudged with blood instead.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Pika-Cthulhu said:

You mean companies want to make money?

Quite the interesting insight, please tell me more

/kc

Perhaps I should have said
Any respect I had for Crytech for them pushing boundaries of technology has swiftly vaporised since choosing to make a subpar product for inferior technology.
instead, as it more accurately reflects my stance on them choosing to make a game for over 5 year old hardware solely for money making, and less for pushing hardware further than it is possible at the current technological boundaries.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who cares? Crysis was mediocre apart from the graphics, so why so many pages devoted to rage about Crysis2? It's not like it's DXHR where you may have some case about how "it's popamole trash" "DXIW was better than this shit" etc. as takes the name of a game most here love. But fucking Crysis?

Let the Turk/Krauts do what they want with it, make it into a corridor shooter with spawns using an aged graphics engine like COD. Who fucking cares? Let the consoletards have their fill of exactly the same game with different skins over and over.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
My beef is with the acceptance of stagnation of game design due to consoles. Is it not bad enough that story, art, choice and consequence (yes, RPG elements I know, FPS are fairly simple fare and most do not apply) must be sacrificed upon the altar of easymode streamlined super accessibility, now, a company that previously pushed the envelop enough to have everyone bitch about its system requirements, has jumped on the console bandwagon of making shit for inferior technology used by the casual cattle.

Stagnation of development, and acceptance of how consoles are hampering further advances, all in the name of a fast buck from the lowest most base consumer.

Any concession made to the camp of consoles must be fought tooth and nail, or there will be precious little left for those who abhor the casual shit that is now on offer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom