Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis Remastered

JDR13

Arcane
Metro Exodus indeed looks great. Serious Sam 4, which is 5 days from release, also looks really good from what I've seen.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What's the VTOL mission? When you jump out of the plane?

When you fly the plane around shooting shit. It's insanely processor heavy and still runs like shit on PC. Consoles couldn't handle it at all last-gen so they cut it out for those versions. This remaster is an enhanced port of that console port, which is a source for a lot of its issues.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't care about the graphics anyway. Why did the game have to be so boring! I remember when I first got it and it barely ran on my PC but I tweaked a lot and got it playing and looking ok. I put in a cheat code and got a gun which fires mini nukes, and spawned some sort of gunship chopper thing which I flew around blowing shit up. It was all a lot of fun. Then I started the campaign and reached the end... without any of that fun stuff.... Just a lot of boring ass alien pew pew crap. All that capability in the game but none of it used... I suspect because the maps are 2 inches squared so flying kinda sucks, but still. Even the suit gimmick wasn't well done. There should have been places you needed to sneak into and stuff. But you can just win the game by shooting everything, or super punch everything. But then it is super boring... You can stealth past people but it is a waste of time. The powers in general were generally pointless because the game was so easy anyway.

I remember playing Arma2 and I couldn't believe what was happening.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Crysis doesn't force you to do the fun stuff like Call of Duty does, you have to actually choose to do it. Hard for many, I know.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Pressing one button to go invisible and then gank some guy from behind does not make you super talented, sorry to break it to you.

Dramart

Learned
But you can just win the game by shooting everything, or super punch everything. But then it is super boring... You can stealth past people but it is a waste of time. The powers in general were generally pointless because the game was so easy anyway.
You played it on normal of course it was easy, try a harder difficulty.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Here's what I used in objects cvar last playthrough:

These definitely improve the visuals a lot. Barely saw any pop-in with them, and it makes the original game an easy win overall versus the remaster. However they also dropped my minimum framerate from 75 to 50, so I don't think I'll be using them. Maybe something in the middle between the default and yours, but I like as much fps as I can get on a 144hz monitor.

Fucking lack of CPU usage! :argh:

Here's what I used in objects cvar last playthrough:

These definitely improve the visuals a lot. Barely saw any pop-in with them, and it makes the original game an easy win overall versus the remaster. However they also dropped my minimum framerate from 75 to 50, so I don't think I'll be using them. Maybe something in the middle between the default and yours, but I like as much fps as I can get on a 144hz monitor.

Fucking lack of CPU usage! :argh:

In case you don't know this, you should also use a fix that allows POM and anisotropic filtering (forced from GPU) to work together. Link for it should be on Crysis PCGamingWiki page. Anyway, minimum of 50 FPS for Crysis 1 seems fine to me, I'm used to having lower than that. But I guess that's what you did to yourself by going 144hz. You could maybe try lowering "e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation" together with "e_view_dist_ratio" to 60-80, see if that helps. "e_lods=0" is probably biggest offender there but I would really hate to turn that back on.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
2020 is great for new hardware i can re play a 2003 game i already know by heart , on that brand new 3090 and that will look worse , or get a PS5 and play demon souls remastered that looks worse than the 2010 version. Money well spent again.

Kitchen Utensil

Are there any notable content mods for Crysis 1 ?

Yes, I remember playing some pretty good and long fan-made singleplayer maps.
Unfortunately I don't know what they were called and whether they're still online though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Anyway, minimum of 50 FPS for Crysis 1 seems fine to me, I'm used to having lower than that. But I guess that's what you did to yourself by going 144hz.

Yes. :negative:

If I can get it to a locked 60 that'll be good enough I guess. I do notice drops to 50, even with g-sync. It's just hard to turn down 100fps once you get used to it. Definitely a warning for people looking to upgrade, you'll love 144hz and then go through this every time a game breaks above 60 or is otherwise limited.

Silly Germans

Anyway, minimum of 50 FPS for Crysis 1 seems fine to me, I'm used to having lower than that. But I guess that's what you did to yourself by going 144hz.

If I can get it to a locked 60 that'll be good enough I guess. I do notice drops to 50, even with g-sync. It's just hard to turn down 100fps once you get used to it. Definitely a warning for people looking to upgrade, you'll love 144hz and then go through this every time a game breaks above 60 or is otherwise limited.
What exactly does change when you upgrade to 144 Hz ? Does it look more fluid or something ?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What exactly does change ? Does it look more fluid or something ?

Looks and feels more fluid, yeah. Especially in first-person with a mouse, it's a revelation IMO. Doing a 180 degree turn you don't see choppiness anymore, and your mouse feels smooth as a greased stick of butter the whole time. It's lovely. If you use 60fps long enough though you adjust and get used to it again, it's just annoying when you bounce back and forth and have long adjustment periods every time.

Mortmal

Arcane

What exactly does change when you upgrade to 144 Hz ? Does it look more fluid or something ?
It does , look a lot more fluid, but 144 fps is unattainable on ultra on latest popamoles , sadly even in 1080p .

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It does , look a lot more fluid, but 144 fps is unattainable on ultra on latest popamoles , sadly even in 1080p .

Depends on the game. I played Doom Eternal at 120fps locked, using one setting below the ultra one. I got 120fps locked in Outer Worlds outside of cities, which was good enough. Control with DLSS and no ray tracing got me 100ish. This is all at 1440p. It's really games that are CPU limited, like Crysis, that give you the hardest time. Assassin's Creed is a good modern example.

120fps is a better goal, feels pretty much identical to 144 and easier to obtain. With adaptive refresh it doesn't really matter at all.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I kept the remaster because I like comparing shit and I'm upper middle class so fuck it. Played through three levels of each. The third level, Relic, also has a time of day change. In the original it becomes sunset as you play, in the remaster it is broad daylight the whole time. Then you go in the tent, come back out and it's dark. Ridiculous. I can only guess they didn't want to develop their new global illumination for multiple times a day or something? It's crazy. The colors also definitely look boosted. I know that's obvious in comparison shots, but playing it more and more it's just so off-putting how every little bush is neon green. Also at the end of mission 3 when the alien thing explodes and leaves everything icy, it looks WAY better in the original. The ice effect is everywhere and pronounced with really nice texture effects. In the remaster there's much less ice and it looks like garbage. So weird. Only thing I can really say positive about the remaster with visuals is the indoor lighting is better, looks really flat in the original, but that's about it. I guess the better LOD distance isn't as hard on the CPU, that's another positive.

Also this game really wasn't designed for checkpoint saves, especially on delta difficulty. Really long stretches between checkpoints where at nearly any moment a Korean you didn't spot can shoot from behind a bush and kill you. They also seem to spot you instantly in the remaster, whereas it takes a while in the original usually. I was on a hill really far from the Korean base in the remaster and they spotted me instantly from a mile away. In the original they didn't spot me at all until I got much closer. Original feels just right on delta, remaster feels annoying to play. Not having a medium running speed is also INSANELY bad, it's this laborious walk or full on super sprint and it drives you nuts. Only gameplay change I kinda like is having an instant cloak on and cloak off key, makes it easier to uncloak, headshot a guy and then cloak again. I wonder if there's a mod for that for the original.

Anyway DON'T FUCKING BUY THIS.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Suit shortcuts don't do it for you?

It's fine. Once you get used to the mouse menu it's pretty easy to "flick" back and forth too. Just not quite as ultra smooth as pressing q, popping the guy, and pressing q again. Just pointing out the one tiny little cookie I can give them. :lol:

Suit shortcuts don't do it for you?

It's fine. Once you get used to the mouse menu it's pretty easy to "flick" back and forth too. Just not quite as ultra smooth as pressing q, popping the guy, and pressing q again. Just pointing out the one tiny little cookie I can give them. :lol:

Mouse menu? I'm talking about suit shortcuts you can enable in options. Double tap crouch or prone to for cloak, double tap jump or melee for strength, double tap sprint for speed, double tap backwards for armor.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Mouse menu? I'm talking about suit shortcuts you can enable in options. Double tap crouch or prone to for cloak, double tap jump or melee for strength, double tap sprint for speed, double tap backwards for armor.

I knew what you meant. There's a "too" in there to indicate both are fine, but neither is as easy and fast as hitting q twice.

I knew what you meant. There's a "too" in there to indicate both are fine, but neither is as easy and fast as hitting q twice.

There should be a way to bind suit shortcuts to any key you want via config file editing, but I don't remember how because I'm used to standard way. One dude posted about it in some other Crysis thread.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Digital Foundry's tech review. It starts with the new graphical features introduced in the remaster, and then points out the questionable changes in daytime/lightings, the cutbacks (graphics, physics, and even gameplay changes) from being a port from console version, and performance.

Join Alex Battaglia for the definitive tech review of Crysis Remastered on PC - a game that elevates and modernises much of the original game's technology, but at a cost of poor performance on today's CPUs... and some legacy tech debt from Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 that we really shouldn't see on a PC game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I haven't watched the video yet, but in the article he goes on and on about 60fps being IMPOSSIBLE in the game. I guess he means at 4k or something, because at 1440p it's very possible if you turn down the settings. Medium is basically the equivalent of very high in the original for things like foliage density and draw distance, and with shadows and vegetation on medium and no ray tracing I don't think I ever saw RTSS show lower than 60fps. Any of that on high murders the framerate though. In the original turning objects down to high from very high got me a locked 60 in three levels now, the LOD thing set to 0 even.

If he's only talking 4k I wish these content creators would stop focusing on it so much. I know they have 4k monitors because they edit 4k video and have 2080tis, but 4k is literally 2% of the market according to the Steam survey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom