Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis Remastered

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

20% discount on the launch week, and owners of the original will receive additional 30% discount.

ADL

Prophet
I'm gonna be seeding the fitgirl repack for Crysis Remastered for anyone that wants to play this piece of shit for whatever reason and when the sequels are cracked I'll seed those too. Cunts.

JDR13

Arcane
Has anyone played the remastered versions of Crysis 2 & 3 yet? Are there any significant improvements over the originals or are they just bullshit cash grabs like the first remaster?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am playing the original Crysis or the first time right now and oh boy, what a piece of shit game. I'm not going to bother with it anymore.
The concept with the super powers should be fun in theory, but the execution is terrible. Your powers last for about 3 seconds, which makes them all but useless. You can't do anything fun with maximum power or speed because you will just die within seconds from enemy bullets. The same with vehicles. Would be great if you could wreak havoc with them but you will just die within a second after switching to the gunner position.
Cloak is the only useful power but every 5 meters you need to hide in some corner and wait for it to recharge. Stealth doesn't work because often, knocking out even one enemy with the silent dart will alert half the map of your presence. It's janky and random.
Enemies are bullet spongy, just spawn magically behind you and have 100% accuracy even from great distance. You play with the same 1-2 weapons all the time (are there even other weapons in the game than the assault rifle and the shotgun?). Levels are confined and mostly linear.

This should have been a fun action romp where you wreak havoc as a super soldier using you powers, but you just feel pathetic while you are creeping around the whole time waiting behind some rock for your energy to recharge. What a tedious, shitty game.

soulburner

Cipher
The remaster looks good, plays well and I would recommend it instead of the original if not for one reason: audio.

All machine guns' volume has been decreased. The pistol is as loud as in the original and as loud as it should be. Change your weapon to anything else and it sounds like pew, pew, pew. Fired up the original. The audio is good. Are there any mod tools that work with the remaster so I could try and fix that shit?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
They're coming next Tuesday Friday month - November 17

why
200.gif

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm gonna be seeding the fitgirl repack for Crysis Remastered for anyone that wants to play this piece of shit for whatever reason and when the sequels are cracked I'll seed those too. Cunts.

how the hell did I miss this?

"we do not allow mods for these games"

US citizens have a right to modify their software as they see fit without any consent of the copyright holder. At worst if your country has worse laws, just have a US citizen redistribute the mods for you.
This isn't one of those "they have lawyers so you lose" situations, Microsoft already lost on this exact premise multiple times.
https://cr.yp.to/softwarelaw.html

Software user's rights​

In the United States, once you own a copy of a program, you can back it up, compile it, run it, and even modify it as necessary, without permission from the copyright holder. See 17 USC 117.
For example, after purchasing a copy of Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation---which is a poorly tuned version of NT 4.0 Server, minus a few utilities---you can back it up, apply a small patch that fixes the tuning, and run the result.

Microsoft hates this. Of course, Microsoft could restrict your rights by demanding that you sign a contract before you get a copy of Windows NT, but this would not do wonders for Windows sales.

So Microsoft puts a ``license'' on all of its software and pretends that you don't have the right to use the software unless you agree to the ``license.'' You can't patch Windows without their permission, according to the license; you can't use NT Workstation for more than 10 simultaneous connections; you must give Microsoft your first-born son. (Or something like that.)

The problem with Microsoft's license is that it's unenforceable. You can simply ignore it. Microsoft can't win a copyright infringement lawsuit: you own the software that Microsoft sold you, and Congress gave you the right to use it.

Ten years ago, the SPA convinced Louisiana to subvert the will of Congress by passing a law that declared shrinkwrap licenses enforceable. In Vault v. Quaid, 847 F.2d 255 (5th Cir. 1988), this law was struck down. Federal copyright law preempts state law.

The SPA didn't give up. It keeps arguing in court that, gee, if all these software makers claim that you can't use the software without a license, then they can't all be wrong, can they? (Ignore the fact that they're willingly selling their software to the public.)

The SPA lost again in Step-Saver but then won in ProCD. I expect the Supreme Court to step in within the next few years to resolve the dispute in favor of Vault and Step-Saver.

Patches​

According to the CONTU Final Report, which is generally interpreted by the courts as legislative history, ``the right to add features to the program that were not present at the time of rightful acquisition'' falls within the owner's rights of modification under section 117.
Note that, since it's not copyright infringement for you to apply a patch, it's also not copyright infringement for someone to give you a patch. For example, Galoob's Game Genie, which patches the software in Nintendo cartridges, does not infringe Nintendo's copyrights. ``Having paid Nintendo a fair return, the consumer may experiment with the product and create new variations of play, for personal enjoyment, without creating a derivative work.'' Galoob v. Nintendo, 780 F. Supp 1283 (N.D. Cal. 1991), affirmed, 22 U.S.P.Q.2d 1587 (9th Cir. 1992). See also Foresight v. Pfortmiller, 719 F. Supp 1006 (D. Kan. 1989).
Hope he told them to eat shit.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Yeah the original Crysis wasn't really that fun to play even originally when I tried it, it was more of a flex to see how well it would run on your rig.
That's because you sucked at playing it. Once you get the hang of it (on PC with mouse and keyboard) you get in on the flow and it becomes fun as fuck.

I first used the radial menu and became quite good at it but then discovered the quick keys for Nanosuit modes and the fun factor increased even more.

soulburner

Cipher
I think the Crysis 1 remaster looks pretty good and is an interesting update. However, they totally fucked up the audio sub-engine by killing the dynamic range. Alll weapons became softer and it's completely unplayable to me.

Ash

Arcane
Crysis 1 was a benchmark for how much of a faggot and pathetic graphics whore a gamer was, with their priorities all fucked up. At least that's how I viewed it back then in the mid-late 2000s mass sellout decline era. Even a storyfag is more deserving of respect.

soulburner

Cipher
Crysis 1 is great. People often called it a benchmark, not a game, but I find it very fun and unique. It has this "something" that no Ubisoft's Far Cry could ever capture. The story is interesting, the gunplay, the audio (but only in the original, the remaster ruins the dynamic range making the weapons and explosions sound like shit). It goes downhill once the aliens show up but I still found it engaging.

The sequels seem like being made by a completely different team. It's not just the environment that's changed - everything changed. The gunplay is worse, the audio is worse and the graphics don't look that great at all due to consolitis. The early videos showing off Crysis 2 had destructible windows and geometry but the final version not only didn't have it but it also had worse looking vegetation than in first one. Also, the story doesn't make any sense. Crysis 3 has quite a bit of eye candy and a few more open areas but it plays exactly the same.

The sequels are good on their own but they somehow lost any sense of continuity.

I am slightly interested in how the sequels perform and what upgrades they did, so I'll wait for some kind of visual analysis video. Maybe Digital Foundry will find some spare time.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
First is only worthwhile one.
Crysis 1 is definitely the best game of the trilogy by far.

However, I hear the remasters of Crysis 2 & 3 are actually a decent upgrade over the originals (unlike the remaster of Crysis 1).

Yeah but upgraded shit is still shit.

Crysis 2 looking considerably worse than Crysis 1 is something i can never forget or forgive. I can understand being worse in terms of gameplay but how the fuck do you fuck up the visuals in a sequel to a game famous for its massive graphics that's just pathetic.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Crysis 2 looking considerably worse than Crysis 1 is something i can never forget or forgive. I can understand being worse in terms of gameplay but how the fuck do you fuck up the visuals in a sequel to a game famous for its massive graphics that's just pathetic
It had to run on consoles with 256MB of ram.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Crysis 2 looking considerably worse than Crysis 1 is something i can never forget or forgive. I can understand being worse in terms of gameplay but how the fuck do you fuck up the visuals in a sequel to a game famous for its massive graphics that's just pathetic
It had to run on consoles with 256MB of ram.

Yeah i supposed that was the reason. Fucking console peasant hardware.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I remember being blown away by the level of environmental interaction and destruction in the first Crysis. You could pick up pretty much every object and throw it as a projectile against enemies. When a helicopter fired missiles at a small house, the building broke into pieces and you were left without a covered hiding place. Firefights in the jungle often left fallen palm trees in their wake. And unlike Half-Life 2, which also had an impressive level of interaction with the environment, the levels were HUGE and allowed approaches to your goal from many directions.
As a naive teenager, I honestly believed this was what the future of gaming would look like.

Crysis 2 was a reality check as gentle as crashing into a concrete wall. Not only did things not progress, they actually regressed. The levels were small and static, with nothing to destroy or change. I think the only physical objects you could use against enemies were cars that you could kick a short distance, which was too limited to ever be useful. The game felt 4 years older than Crysis, instead of 4 years newer.

When playing Dishonored 2, there was an area where I was searching for objects to throw to cause noise to lure away guards, only to find that 95% of the small objects like bottles were static and non-interactable. That game was somehow released 9 years after Crysis.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
When playing Dishonored 2, there was an area where I was searching for objects to throw to cause noise to lure away guards, only to find that 95% of the small objects like bottles were static and non-interactable. That game was somehow released 9 years after Crysis.
And sold as an immersive sim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom