Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Culpa Innanta

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Anyone played this?

The critics couldn't seem to agree. The User Reviews seem to think it is good. http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... ulpainnata

Note that a few of the comments mention non-linearity and replayability.
Any thoughts?

aries202

Erudite
I would suggest you hit gamboomers,
justadventure and adventuregamers to see their reviews for this game. I haven't played it myself but some people like the main character while others didn't, some were annoyed of the running around in the game, most seemed to like the story and the setting, though.

Suchy

Arcane
an ok adventure with terrible camera. i mean really terrible, not nwn2-terrible. you have no fucking idea which direction you're going.
but apart from that i somewhat liked the story. haven't finished it though, coz of that damn camera, makes the game almost unplayable.

Shoelip

Arbiter
I didn't have much of a problem with the Camera. The graphics are quite primitive except for the faces.

It's fairly cool, but it's definitely not for everyone. Which is one of th reasons I respect it. It's got a pretty good story and some interesting features. It's not a typical adventure game in that there aren't all that many puzzles, most of the game is about talking to witnesses and finding evidence. There's a hint of something strange going on throughout with some chosen one stuff (I mean, the main character is named Phoenix. As one of the characters points out "It cannot be a coincidence") but it doesn't really go into that. The devs are quite small time. They're already working on the sequel which is meant to be allot better technically.

I've been kind of rambling haven't I, well I really enjoyed the game. If you're still reading here's some more. The puzzles are pretty much all logical. The game takes place on a daily schedule where you can only go to a limited number of places per day. At the end of the day you can talk to Phoenix's nymphomaniac best friend about stuff who sometimes has useful insights and sometimes just has fluff.

The voice acting goes from great to terrible. Allot of the side characters are quite flat but the main cast is usualy very good. The game isn't entirely linear but since you're following clues it's not exactly open ended. There are a few times where different things can happen based on your choices, and the game scores you at the end on how well you did at finding the right evidence and stuff.

Here's the forum. It's not very active.

http://www.culpainnata.com/forums/index.php

Erebus

Arcane
I posted a review of Culpa Innata somewhere else a few months ago. Just give me a minute so I can translate it to English... There :

"I don't like adventure games much in general. Getting stuck because you didn't find the one item that is for no reason the only way you can accomplish an indispensable action is greatly annoying to me. From that point of view, Culpa Innata was a rather pleasant surprise. The use of objects is quite simple and does not happen too long after their discovery. You don't get to go through two thirds of the game with lipstick, a handkerchief and panties, desperately trying to use them with anything you see.

Aside from that, the wits of the player are tested during the dialogues and the puzzles.

The dialogues are the main part of the game (I dread to imagine how many hours the actor playing Phoenix spent on this job). There are many characters to speak to, mainly related to your investigation. The player can choose between several available choices, some bringing more information than others. The dialogues aren't bad but, as time goes past, the fact that most of them bring us only minor and useless informations about the victim gets a bit tiring. It is of course realistic, but a game is not meant to be perfectily realistic... The dialogues give more depth and life to the (brave new) world in which the story happens but, given their importance, I think they don't bring enough elements that can be used in our investigation.

I liked the puzzles. They are diverse and entertaining, without being abusively difficult. There are images you need to make whole again, machines you need to have working... The puzzles rely a lot on visual observation, but you also need to use logic and the clues you're given. And sometimes, you just have to be methodical and patient...

The story has two plots : the first one is about Phoenix investigating a murder ; the second one is about her discovering hidden opposition to the orwellian regime. During the whole game, I expected the second plot to gain more and more importance, eventually merging with or replacing the first one. And... that doesn't happen. Phoenix discovers that people are opposing the World Union but it doesn't lead her to anything substantial : many things remain hidden from her and her trust in the regime remains unshaken. The game ends when she discovers the reasons and the circumstances of the murder. I found this ending to be quite disappointing, especially since it leaves a huge amount of things with no answer or conclusion. A "Culpa Innata 2" is obviously planned but I don't like finding myself with such an incomplete story.

The game is not difficult. I usually suck at adventure games but I only had to use a walkthrough once (for a problem I could have solved with a bit more patience). Unless you keep asking the wrong questions, I have the feeling you always end up getting the information you need. You need to think to solve the puzzles, but they're hardly baffling.

From a technical point of view, the music is quite good, the graphics very average and the navigation is bloody awful.

Culpa Innata is a game I enjoyed playing but I'm left unsatisfied now that I've finished it. The story, the setting and the puzzles are good. The investigation strikes the player's curiosity. Phoenix is an interesting and original character, who completely believes the propaganda of the system in which she lives. But the dialogues are too long compared to their usefulness, the investigation is artificially stretched (you need several interviews to ask all your questions to a single character ; a key witness is unavailable for a very long time) and too swiftly solved, many elements seem forgotten along the road and the most interesting part of the story - the hidden opposition to the World Union system - is extremely underdeveloped and leads to nothing at all."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom