Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Curious Expedition - The roguelike expedition simulation set in the 19th century

Ramireza

Savant
gameplay_pic1.png

This is not a "real" RPG, but maybe some of you could be interested in this game :

http://www.curious-expedition.com/

it has this Pireates/Heart of Africa/7th cities of gold atmosphere :)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Warning: In-browser game.

I sure hope the Steam version is standalone. :/

Alchemist

Arcane
Just a heads-up - this is free to play for this weekend: http://free.curious-expedition.com/

Played it for a bit - I quite like it so far. Combat mechanics are a bit weird and I'm not sure I like that aspect. But the exploration / resource-management and C&C is pretty decent.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, it seems alright. On my first expedition (I chose Marie Curie) I found the necronomicon, read it, turned one of my partners into an abomination and destroyed the rainforest I was residing in at the time. I read it to the point the party's sanity dropped to zero and turned momentarily insane, and in that state I ripped out a few pages from the book which contained dark unholy magic. The same abomination, by the way, eats another one of my party members (he was a racist missionary though - not really that fun to be around). But he has a pretty good attack stat so I decided to keep him around.

I then used one page to drain precious water one of the village's nearby no doubt used. It was the right thing to do. The area was already full of corrupt abominations anyway (I assume so, cataloging a corrupt butterfly to regain my lost sanity). So, whilst being insane I found the fabled golden pyramid I've been trying to find and promptly ended my expedition and left the corrupted area behind.

I got a medal for anthropology after finishing my quest. I guess it works as a perk system or whatever.

I had no idea what the fuck was going on.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
Yeah, it seems alright. On my first expedition (I chose Marie Curie) I found the necronomicon
Nice, I didn't know it had Lovecraftian stuff like that in there. Didn't encounter that in my play-throughs.

One funny bug I ran into is Richard Francis Burton refusing to return to civilization at the end even though I reached the golden pyramid. So the game was lost.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I kind of expected it, what with the sanity meter and all.

EDIT: What I didn't expect, mind you, was finding the fuckin' necronomicon.

Was addicted, merrily going around on my fifth expedition up until a bug stopped me from finishing that one. Swell game.

ColCol

Arcane
Played it. Currently, Combat is pretty bad, it is not engaging in any form (strategy/visuals)*. The exploration mechanics are nice. I like having to deal with unique hazards, such as fires. The difficulty seems a little lacking. I made it through a number of expeditions without encountering much danger (and that is without a full grasp of the game's mechanics). The game reminds me of strange adventures in infinite space (small and danger filled adventures, where you have a limited time to explore and find wonders).

*Notably, with some possible exceptions, I believe you can avoid most combat encounters.

ColCol

Arcane
Also, I have to say. When it doesn't bother me, the game seems like it was made to be played on I-pads. I know some people may be put off by that.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
dcfedor it seems that NEO Scavenger became an inspiration for other indie developers. :incline:

P.S. played through several of those little expeditions and I have to say that I really dig the basic concept. Sure, it is somewhat light on RPG mechanics and it definitely lacks content in this stage of development but IMO it has potential to grow into something really special. Love the setting, love the fact that you are playing with real historical figures and love all of those small unexpected situations that arise from your crew and their gained personality traits (perks).

Keeping fingers crossed they don't fuck it up and end like those fucktards responsible for Project Zomboid.

ColCol

Arcane
This game scratches my itch for widespread map destruction (in as strategy game).

SO far, I encountered:

A magic scroll that created a massive (mile-wide) bottomless pit. The pit was impossible to travel around/across.
A curse that created a large desert area (you need water to safely cross a desert).
A fire that grew each turn and required effort to navigate around.
/

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's now on Early Access via Steam. I have to say there's not much content in so far( around an hour before it get really repetitive) .

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Curious Expedition is a roguelike rpg expedition simulation set in the late 19th century, in which you will venture on unprecedented expeditions to regions never explored before.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So a year down the line, what's the Kodex Kritical Konsensus?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I've played a bit of the EA version (in this spring - that wasn't an ancient build) and it felt incredibly barebones. Barely enough to call it a game, really. I just got incredibly bored after an hour or two, losing all will to continue.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've played a bit of the EA version (in this spring - that wasn't an ancient build) and it felt incredibly barebones. Barely enough to call it a game, really. I just got incredibly bored after an hour or two, losing all will to continue.

Someone comparing it to FTL in a GoG review. And the gameplay videos look good at first sight. What do you mean barebones?

sser

Arcane
Developer
It's not really an RPG at all. More of an exploration game with heavy amounts of risk management. Not a bad game, by any means. Has a decent amount of content for replays as playthroughs are fairly short.

cruelio

Savant
I beat it in less than two hours on my first playthrough and got a refund.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom