Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu - "RPG-Investigation" game based on tabletop ruleset

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Berekän, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Do you, uh... do you even know what Call of Cthulhu actually is, or...?

You know what? Nevermind. I'm leaving this thread forever, never to return. Enjoy your consoleshit, faglords. No doubt Cyanide's next game will be a good Voltron game, but a bad mecha game.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    If CoC is a terrible game, "there aren't any areas of complete darkness" will be the least of its problems. :M

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Nope, sorry, this is a logical fallacy. It's like if you spent a bunch of time criticizing, let's say, a Mission Impossible movie for having bad gunplay - specifically on account of it being a Mission Impossible movie, instead of just saying that the bad gunplay makes it a bad action movie. Yes, all the Mission Impossible movies are action movies, more-or-less, but you're still making the wrong arguments (or at least less parsimonious ones).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Or this

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Viata Arcane

Viata

This is the closest we ever get from a game inspired in H.P. Lovecraft. And it's worth every penny.(Or you can download the IF no pic version for free).

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. PrettyDeadman Victim of C*dex *dministr*tion Patron

PrettyDeadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Lovercraft didn't write about a dude running around dark spooky house (or some tunnels/caves) with a fucking candle, he wrote horrors hidden in the mundane which become progressively more noticeable to a hero once he took a glimse beyond the veil seperating mundane and cosmic horrors...
    It's a good thing that authors of the game don't try to make it into another retarded jump-scare youtube bait with a hero running around dark corridors, but instead try to create a genuine adaptation of lovecraft works as a videogame.

• Agree Agree x 7
    ^ Top  
  7. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Shadow over Innsmouth, pretty much. Also, the first part of Dark Corners of the Earth, before they fucked up the game.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    woah roqua eat a snickers

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  9. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Statement_of_Randolph_Carter :M

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. PrettyDeadman Victim of C*dex *dministr*tion Patron

PrettyDeadman
    Have you read it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Yes, I read a great deal of HP back in the 00s. Guy goes into a large dark tomb with a lantern, gets killed by something or other.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. PrettyDeadman Victim of C*dex *dministr*tion Patron

PrettyDeadman
    I didn't.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Then say that and stop appealing to your Lovecraft expertise. I've never disagreed with this part.
    "I'm an expert on Tolkein and you can't have a dragon in a Tolkein game" is stupid. Stop being stupid. Say "Dragons are bad for gameplay" instead.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    ^ Top  
  14. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Honestly, bringing Cthulhu mythos to a visual medium is a mistake. It is a predominantly literary medium that should enforce literary themes, such as but not restricted to, isolation, pessimism, ignorance, comprehension, insanity etc. But let us say that we are forced to make a visual medium, such as a game, which in addition has agency in it, then I would approach it as follows:

Make the player always suffer from negative effects i.e. all paths in the game are only downhill from the player ability point of view. Make the victory pyrrhic at least for the player's person. Make the victory condition temporal; every success is transitory and only serves to delay the catastrophe with the quiet, clear assurance that the danger is simply next door.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Vibalist Arcane

Vibalist
    Just make a game where you never show the monster, but only allude to it. The biggest mistake Dark Corners of the Earth made was when you fought Cthulhu (or Dagon) in a boss battle. And won.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Latelistener Arcane

Latelistener
    You actually never saw Cthulhu in that game.

^ Top  
  17. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    That's Lovecraft canon though. :M

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. PrettyDeadman Victim of C*dex *dministr*tion Patron

PrettyDeadman
    I just want to shoot cthulhus from a shotgun like I did in best Cthulhu game - Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Indeed. But that was a one in a billion shot. Cthulhu was still yawning and half asleep; the heroes just put him back to sleep with the headbutting. Cosmic logic. Don't ask. In Dark Corners the hero shoots at Mother Hydra with missiles while she is awake. This reduces her to just another Big Kaiju.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    I've always wanted a cthullu CRPG where I get to play as Old Man Henderson.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    I'm making a liar of myself and returning to the thread, but it's for a good cause.

Not only was Cthulhu yawning and asleep, but his actual mind and spirit weren't yet joined with his physical (well, quasi-physical) form. His empty husk was essentially operating on instinct. The ship encountering the risen ocean floor miraculously averted disaster by interfering with the sequence of awakening. I don't have an exact source handy right this second, but I believe it's covered somewhere in the actual story.

The human race has next to no hope of defeating a whole Cthulhu with access to his spiritual might. He's the so-called high priest of the Great Old Ones, able to heal and sustain the others (among other things), not just a physical brute.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I still love Dark Corners, btw; it's an excellent adaptation and they got so many things right that they should have made more games. Goddamn, it Arcane, why did you have to sell yourself to Bethesda!

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    That is some purism. The mythos, as a set of rationalized rules, already is something that goes against Lovecraft's work - it was built by August Derleth. From there I'm not sure why one can't go further and build on the thing as wanted. The mythos became a cultural phenomenon in itself, it has nothing to do with a clear set of literary works. It's diluted everywhere in horror now. Everyone knows Lovecraft, except that they don't. But does it matter? The strength of the imagery is nothing to scoff at. There is something primal in the fear of oceans and sea-creatures ; it's the fear of the subconscious, of the roots of life, of losing yourself in the dark unknown. We know that this is what is at stake, the idea of some unknowable, indescribable monster is pretty secondary. In fact the idea of something that can't be said, seen, understood, that is purely unknown, is probably not enough to generate horror. It needs roots in something we do understand (this is where the sea imagery is useful). The monster, as it is, is unknowable because it constantly changes forms ; you give it a form that you can see, grasp, and it changes again, it refuses to be apprehended, defined. You're always going to try to give it a form, and be satisfied when you understand it, but then it changes, just like life in the depths of the ocean tends to take gigantic proportions, or develop species that are not easily categorized. That can be represented in visual medium.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected

To an extent yes, but then again every incorporation is giving it a solid frame. Today, the word Cthulhu means a bipedal monstrosity with tentacles for the face. Say goodbye to my wonder and fear, Stacy. We have already lost awe for Zombies and Skeletons, which in Lovecraft's work were negations of sanity. The more we push that boundary the more we will lose grasp of what it means to be unknowable.

^ Top  
  25. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Lovecraft himself sketched Cthulhu, or rather one of those speckled cosmic rock statues of Cthulhu. He also described Cthulhu in great detail in the story. It's not as videogame boss-looking as later iterations, though.

[​IMG]

While we're certainly inured to the simpler horrors of simpler times, I think you'd find that if you actually saw an animated skeleton lurching around in front of your very eyes, you'd have quite a stupendous reaction to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.