Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Cyber Knights: Flashpoint - the latest tactical RPG from Trese Brothers - now available on Early Access

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/cyber-knights/posts/2807578

Project Update - Month One

ea5c3b97c68d68c166d2c7ae3fec7325_original.jpg

Knights,

It is hard to believe it has already been a month since the campaign ended. The Kickstarter may be over, but the updates will keep coming. We plan to post news about the state of our game and our current progress every month. Together we raised $226,709 on Kickstarter and $1,355 on PayPal for a campaign total of $228,064. After the end of the campaign, pledge manager add-ons and late pledges have added $13,135 which brings the final funding total for Cyber Knights: Flashpoint to $241,199 before chargebacks, manufacturing for physical rewards and fees.

Here at Trese Brothers HQ, we are busy finalizing the saved game format, putting the finishing touches on the dynamic story node system and reinforcing the foundation of the all-important battle map for missions.

Survey Update
Please understand that we are a bit obsessed with survey completion. If you don’t complete your survey, you can’t get any rewards. So, we are excited to have now achieved a 90% completion rate for backer surveys! Nearly everyone has voted in the cybercat poll and selected the campaign add-ons they wanted. If you have not received a survey email from Backerkit (support@s.backerkit.com OR no-reply@s.backerkit.com) if you have not completed the survey and picked any final add-ons now is the time!

If you have not received a survey or had any issues filling it out, please email me at andrew@tresebrothers.com or message me here on Kickstarter. We are here to help.

Poll Results!
We have wrapped up 3 polls from the Kickstarter -- the New Cat Breed, Favorite Profession from Cyber Knights classic and the Survivor Poll from Cyber Knights classic. The results are below!

Snow Leopard Wins Cat Breed Poll

The votes have been tallied and the winner is Snow Leopard. This majestic cat will be integrated into the Assassin cyber-job as the second companion type. Thank you for all your support -- you made this happen. Our backers, Patreons, Twitch subscribers all pitched in and we’ve begun funding the animation, model and texturing work to bring this beauty to life. Meow!

dfc3d719b8c5f4ee2e7f8bafddbc19e0_original.png

The voting was extremely close in the first two weeks but then Snow Leopard took the lead and never looked back. We thank everyone who voted -- no matter which cat you fancied we’re all winning here. Each cat had a lot of votes and we’re very excited to be expanding the feline variety in the game!

ac95633d35f9ab4543bece4a7b450d3d_original.png

Gunslinger Wins Profession Poll

In the poll for which profession would have the honor of being the first template in the new game list, Gunslinger beat Hacker out by a hair. We appreciate everyone voting on this poll during and after the campaign, it was a fun one. Very clearly -- Gunslinger, Hacker and Cybersword broke away from the other professions as the favorites.

4ba01ecc662fcaa1197c97433c9279d3_original.gif

Eliza Krofter Wins Survivor Poll

By a landslide, Eliza Krofter the young Cyber Knight featured in the “Made, Not Born” storyline of Cyber Knights classic was voted as the Survivor. She beat out both Clive Zep and Side-Arm Gerrin at a rate of 5 to 1. We’re excited to see a seminal character’s story continue and to find out what Krofter has been up to for the last 14 years.

To those who campaigned for the other survivors, we have seen the #CliveLives hashtag and even heard rumors of CliveLives appear in graffiti in the game.

Stretch Goal Update - Soundtrack Expansion
We are making progress on the Skyrise and Safehouse OST projects with our music and sound team at Studio Viking. For Skyrise, we’ll be expanding the OST with 2 unique compositions and 4 thematic remixes.

The Safehouse expansion will include 4 unique songs performed in-game by artists like Seven Banners Burning or LTS. We are working with Studio Viking to develop these artist’s personas around the voice talent -- all while juggling studio recording in the age of coronavirus.

If you’re getting the Digital Soundtrack Reward as part of your pledge tier, you will automatically get these additional tracks. All players will be able to hear them in-game when they’re raiding the high-style Skyrise towers or laying low in their Safehouse.

1ad18b8d14fa20f40f484b8bf0d6f6e8_original.png

Reward Update: 3D Faces
In order for the art project to continue smoothly, we need to start gathering all of the details for the backer’s character faces that will get rendered into the game. We have finished preparing an in-take process to gather images, references and the other details needed to make this as smooth as possible. Once we have all the input for each face, we will create a concept art shot of the newly designed head and hair. From there, the 3D team will be ready to take over!

If you pledged at the Backstory Edition or higher ($500+), you will receive an invitation to a Google Form from atrese@gmail.com within the hour.

43e23fb13d41ef2101b6f94edbb49690_original.png

Wishlist / Follow on Steam
This month we worked with our video team to cut a pre-alpha teaser trailer for Steam. The more wishlists we can accumulate for the game’s eventual launch the better. If you can, please visit the Cyber Knights: Flashpoint page on Steam and click ‘Add to Wishlist’ and ‘Follow’ the game. This will help the game build momentum for the inevitable Early Access Release.

684b9f49644271581f5dc75a4ff83613_original.png

Trese Brothers on Reddit
We’re are online at the Trese Brothers Discord server but we’re also active on our Reddits, /r/TreseBrothers, /r/StarTradersFrontiers and newly minted /r/CyberKnightsGame so come, post a meme or a guide.

Final Hours of Kickstarter Livestream
We streamed the last five hours of the Kickstarter on Twitch, and if you missed it the video is archived on YouTube: Twitch Stream - Final 5 Hours of Cyber Knights: Flashpoint Kickstarter

Streaming on Twitch
You can find Cory (and sometimes Andrew) on the Trese Brothers Twitch where we are streaming game development, answering questions and talking about the studio Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4PM EST.

Many thanks for your support!

Cory and Andrew Trese

Trese Brothers Games

f8795c9dc75b226315efed0099f93fd9_original.png

6270a56ebfd71eb1e29c07ea0abaf534_original.png

Last edited by a moderator:

pm_675

Arbiter
New actualization! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/cyber-knights/posts/2816954

Stretch Goals: Drone Concept Art

a8c9d3886b09a89a0b209aae83bbe2b0_original.jpg

Knights!

We are excited to share the first pieces of unlocked concept art from the campaign’s stretch goals. These are all work-in-progress, but we wanted to give you an insider’s look at the raw output from the art team.

Survey Reminder
Please forgive us if we are a bit obsessed with survey completion. Backers who don’t complete a survey, don’t get any rewards. We are happy to have now achieved a 92% completion rate for backer surveys. If you have not completed a survey please email me at andrew@tresebrothers.com or message me here on Kickstarter.

If you missed the results of any of the polls, including the cybercat breed poll, our last post “Project Update - Month One” included all the results and details. Go Snow Leopard!

3X Drones Stretch Goal
The campaign unlocked three stretch goal drones chassis. These stretch goals gave us additional budget for the art, model, animations, sounds and abilities for each new drone type. These drones will be available for your Drone Pilot to purchase, customize and deploy on missions. The concept art for the drones has now been completed by the art team and we are working to review it before moving it forward into the 3D modeling phase. As with every aspect of the project, we're excited to share this progress!

35b61aa41c1b742f144aaa2a75403077_original.jpg

The scout drone has light weaponry, digital scanners and baffled engines to reduce the chances of enemies detecting it. Scout drones are unarmored and easily destroyed, so the Drone Pilot must rely on their speed and stealth to gather valuable intel for her team and the Cyber Knight. Scout drones can spot enemies, mark targets and, in an emergency, lay down covering fire or attempt to distract enemies or security.

dcd5e671fc3a7e021dc6d61b34b618aa_original.jpg

On the other end of the spectrum, the Battle drone is a heavily armored combat chassis designed to dish out and soak up damage. Battle drones can be equipped with top of the line heavy weapons, reactive armor and battle-ready redundant systems; representing the state of the art in 23rd century robotic combat. Equipped with huge, powerful engines they are loud, expensive, and difficult to pilot.

421eba65244008e1bf499c6a90009709_original.jpg

Support drones aren’t as fast as a Scout drone and they don’t have the heavy armament or structure of a Battle drone but they are easy to fly and highly customizable. Depending on your Drone Pilot’s build and your squad’s needs, Support drones can be configured with mobile medical stations, security scanners, jamming pods or nanogears for buffing your team. A Support drone’s piloting module makes it a breeze to fly for an experienced pilot and as a result its orders require fewer Action Points.
Development Update
At Trese Brothers we’ve moved from executing our Kickstarter-focused tasklist to executing on the next phase of building Flashpoint. This week we are iterating on the Wounds, Cyberware, Traits and Trait Mutation systems that play critical roles in bringing your characters to life in Cyber Knights. We started with an improved version of the Star Traders: Frontiers Traits and Trait Mutation systems and have further expanded it to include a threshold system rather than relying on random chance and can now allow five times as many Traits per character. We’ve woven Cyberware and combat Wounds into those mechanics and the resulting blend gives us dynamic characters that will encounter meaningful change from their time working for a Cyber Knight.

On the technical side, we’re testing the “Save Slots” feature that will let players store an unlimited number of named snapshots for their saved games (depending on available storage, infinity disk not included.) This feature will be available in non-Ironman difficulties and in any Custom Difficulty that wants to include it. Based on player feedback, Cyber Knights: Flashpoint Custom Difficulty will support both Ironman and Save Slots as unique settings that can be configured independently.

We are putting a priority on Save Slots and support features like it based on backer feedback from our last Kickstarter campaign. The Kickstarter-exclusive Star Traders: Frontiers alpha test was critical to the success of the game on Steam in Early Access and we want to do everything we can to repeat that success with Cyber Knights. While some of these important features were deployed later in the Star Traders: Frontiers cycle, we’ll be including them up front to ensure that the alpha test will be easier and more fun for all of our Kickstarter backers.

Our third in-progress element involves interactivity on mission maps. We’re testing new security systems, door types, bridges and other features your runners will be able to control with terminals or Matrix Mk2 hacking. We’ll have more details about this one in a future update!

Twitch Stream Today
We will be live today on the Trese Brothers Twitch where we are streaming game development, answering questions and talking about the studio -- we’ll be live today Tuesday 4PM EST.

Progress Bar
As a matter of routine, we always include the Progress Bar infographic in our updates. Here are the notes about the latest movements on the chart:

• We have now received input from over 25 of our backers who will join the game with their 3D face. These will be headed to the art team soon! If you pledged at the $500 reward and haven’t completed your intake form, please do!
  • We’re also excited to announce we’ve set the start date for the first of 2 pen and paper RPG reward campaigns.
  • Skyrise Environment is moving forward with the art team working on specific props and objects you’ll find in these tower lux residences.
577c810539d9069393262fcceda4b5c6_original.png

Thanks for your support,

Andrew and Cory Trese

Trese Brothers Games

a204ea2653023b0d7fb00aaae49e3e74_original.jpg

Comfy and stylish lux furniture
97d75699fdfecc160aec51961c79b509_original.jpg

Who doesn't need a golden, glowing coffee table?
21070542d346a5370a3d69ff6a756b9d_original.jpg

Corporate boardrooms require commanding chairs
4a0b6a0c7ef046dcc6f7c9d683527305_original.jpg

Recreating the beauty of lost nature

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.hardcoredroid.com/from-cyber-knights-to-flashpoint-an-interview-with-the-trese-brothers/
From Cyber Knights to Flashpoint: An interview with the Trese Brothers

Indie Veterans Go Big with Cyber Knights: Flashpoint

Trese Brothers Games, one of the most revered names in indie gaming, achieved their Kickstarter goal for their upcoming turn-based tactics game, Cyber Knights: Flashpoint, in only 12 hours, an impressive feat indeed—and one indicative of their fans’ diehard support.

Brothers Andrew and Cory Trese are icons of the mobile and indie gaming worlds. Over the past decade, they’ve made a name for themselves in the industry, whether building and funding games from scratch or through the donations and generosity of their many supporters. What’s more, the team is constantly setting its sights on new horizons, creating bigger projects than before. No stranger to Hardcore Droid, the Trese Brothers have graciously returned for another interview.

What was it like forming a business together, as brothers? What’s it like to work with one another?
Andrew Trese: It feels classic. I’m two years younger than Cory and we’ve always done everything together. Especially when it comes to gaming, game design and pen and paper RPGs. We’ve got a lifelong history together there. So after almost 10 years of working separately in the larger software industry, for me there was an immediate “this is right” feeling when we started on Star Traders RPG. Together again!

How do you make it work, logistically, as siblings and how has this relationship developed over the years?
Cory Trese: We tend to approach a lot of our projects with a divide and conquer strategy, and each of us has our own areas of expertise. Some things have changed over the years—the games cost more to make, the teams are bigger, and the projects are more complex—but some things haven’t changed much at all. We still trust each other completely, and when we do argue about something we tend to forgive and forget pretty quickly.

Andrew Trese: We’ve spent a lot of time playing, creating and loving the same games throughout our lives. We’re lucky to have a strong common ground there between us that helps us see eye to eye on a lot of things. And that natural instinct has just kept growing over the years.

What hobbies do you have outside of gaming? Do these ever make their way into your art?
Andrew Trese: I’m a runner and I admit to spending a lot of time thinking about the stories of our games while out covering miles. Luckily, when we can run together my wife is game to listen to my ramblings, so I’ve got a sounding board too.

Cory Trese: I love to travel, and I often find inspiration for games in distant places and remote spaces. Most of my hobbies tend to take me away from work, from making games, for long enough that I can’t wait to get back to it. In particular, I love the desert in the American Southwest and whenever I can I take time to make the long overland trip in my Jeep with Beagle crew dogs and officers.

How do your resources and overall outlook as a team compare to nine years ago when your creative journey began?
Cory Trese: Our journey started with literally nothing. The first Star Traders game was made with a $0 budget and tested on my personal Android phone. Andrew did all the art. Eventually, I invested $150 on music. It’s hard to imagine that now, how different things were. When we started it seemed like we’d never last long enough to have a budget or a team, but here we are. We may have dramatically more resources at our disposal, but the mission and outlook remain the same. We know that we got to this point by sticking to our principals and putting in the work. Optimism remains high that the same approach will carry us for the next nine years. We just have to keep making great games, and everything will work out.

How have you managed to thrive as a developer of single-pay games, especially in the mobile sphere, an industry dominated by microtransactions?
Andrew Trese: I think finding our message and consistently sticking to it for coming up on 10 years is a big part of our success. We’ve never wavered on our no-ad, no-consumable stance and so our players know what they get. And they know our type of game, we deliver a consistent type. Both of these have built up a strong community on mobile which has helped us keep our head above water there.

Cory Trese: Microtransactions, user acquisition, casual games and advertising are all things that drive a great deal of studio churn. The marketplaces seem dominated by these trends, but most studios never seem to last very long. Mobile studios come and go as fast as the trends on Google Play shift, many of them bankrupted simply trying to maintain the necessary marketing budget. We’ve seen a lot of trends come and go—Amazon Underground, Facebook Install Ads and interstitial video ads to name a few—and while they are all gone, Trese Brothers remains. Our approach might not win any Google Play Top Download Awards, but it is sustainable.

Has the gaming industry changed since we last interviewed you? Do you think it’s heading in the right direction?
Andrew Trese: This is a tough one. Has it changed since our last interview? Many times over but it kind of feels the same. It’s such a big creature, to try to say if it’s heading in the right direction. The technology developments right now—Stadias and VR—are fascinating to watch but I’m glad we’re not involved.

Cory Trese: The trends of consolidation and stratification continue unabated in the gaming industry. Increasingly large players and market owners put pressure on game development studios to compete with themselves while compensation models, exclusives and tiered revenue sharing drive a widening gap between the industry’s winners and losers. It remains to be seen if these trends ultimately offer players better games or not.

Do fans ever uncover something within your games that terrifies you (be it a disgusting clipping glitch or an overpowered, game-breaking, technique)?
Andrew Trese: Daily? Never underestimate players’ abilities to find ridiculous bugs, loopholes and overpowered combinations! Sometimes players will directly message us with the news but most of the time it ends up on a forum. You get a pretty thick skin to this stuff quickly.

The events in Cyber Knights: Flashpoint take place in the same universe as one of your earlier games, Cyber Knights RPG. While I’m sure fans can expect a great deal of fan-service and returning elements, how much of this game will differ from its inspiration?
Andrew Trese: It’s been nine years since the original game was released. We’ve released six games and upgraded game engines twice. There is a part of me that screams “nothing” but what is really shared is the inspirations, genre, lore and feel of the game. Both can accurately be described as turn-based tactics RPGs in classic cyberpunk settings where you manage a team to do the dirty work of the power players of New Boston.

Cory Trese: Cyber Knights: Flashpoint will be a completely different experience across the entire game. We laid out the unique feeling of living as a Cyber Knight in one of our early Kickstarter updates, “A Month in a Knight’s Life” which is sort of a manifesto of the experience, feeling and atmosphere we want to create with the game. It spins an in-world story that follows a Knight’s team as they prep for Operation Blackpool and is one of the best pieces we’ve found to communicate what will make Cyber Knights so special.

Can we expect to see an Android version of Cyber Knights: Flashpoint on day one?
Andrew Trese: For the Kickstarter backers who joined the alpha team, an Android and iOS version of Cyber Knights: Flashpoint will be available right away. But the production quality port that will go to Google Play and Apple App Store isn’t likely to ship until after the game exits Early Access on Steam. It’s the same timeline we used for Star Traders: Frontiers and we found that it let us finish the port after all the major construction—Early Access—had ended.

We couldn’t be happier that you are cross-platforming a turn-based tactical game onto Android. In PC gaming, however, the genre has seen a real resurgence in recent years—what new and cool features will Flashpoint bring to the table?
Cory Trese: Turn-based tactical gaming has seen such an exciting resurgence recently. We’ve seen the release of a new XCOM game and Gears Tactics—just in the past month! Definitely an exciting time for fans of the genre.

Andrew Trese: As we touted in the Kickstarter, we’re planning to use some really cool new angles on turn-based tactics. We’ll be using a flexible action pool to allow your characters to take a wide variety of actions instead of the standard two, the initiative order in a turn is mixed down to the individual character and enemy level instead of by team, and we’ve removed the grid. All combined, we’re delivering a really fast, fluid and fun tactical experience.

Is developing a game as a successor rather than a sequel daunting? Or does it give you confidence? To what extent does your past work influence the direction you’ve taken with Flashpoint?
Cory Trese: I personally find it a bit intimidating. Some players will show up for the classic Cyber Knights experience and find out it is a spiritual successor, rather than a faithful reimplementation—and the game will need to be that much better to win them over. I suppose more than anything I worry about disappointing our fans. The feedback from our Kickstarter backers has helped a lot with that. I think our backers and players will love this new game—and I’m confident that my brother and I will do everything we can to ensure a top quality release.

Andrew Trese: For me, it’s freeing. We have learned so much in the 9 years since making Cyber Knights classic. Making a successor allows us the freedom to use that knowledge to make a better game instead of being strapped to the old game’s features, while still staying true to its core. With a successor in mind, we’ve removed the open-world elements of the original game, added base building and rethought how we create stories in the game altogether by switching to our new blend of hand-written and procedurally generated narratives featured in Star Traders: Frontiers.

I’d imagine breaking from the grid to something with exponentially more movement options might have presented some bumps along the developmental road? Has it been a challenging transition? How have you guys contended with and overcame these challenges?
Andrew Trese: As a long time tactics player, there is something comforting about hovering over every available grid tile and seeing if it is “the one.” With Cyber Knight’s gridless approach, we’re relying on physical sightlines and map awareness to drive positioning and cover. We’re working hard to give players enough intel to make those decisions confidently without having to repetitively hover over every possible location. It’s been a challenge but has forced us to look at new flows of intel for the player, and it’s exciting to be breaking the mold.

Flashpoint will feature a diverse set of character classes with unique traits. What philosophies do you take into balancing elements like leveling and character class?
Andrew Trese: At a high level in the game, we are balancing player agency—picking the exact bonuses from your level and class—with gameplay-driven impacts like gaining Traits in reaction to your actions or things that happen to you like getting shot or shredded. The interplay between these two create all sorts of new opportunities and enticing angles for players to explore. It’s one of the most exciting parts of our core RPG system which we call the Motivation Engine.

Your promotional materials suggest the game might come to consoles as well—have you spoken with any representatives at Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft?
Cory Trese: We have had some preliminary discussions, and we have a good working relationship with Microsoft, Nintendo and in the past, Sony. We’re working on a port of Star Traders: Frontiers to the Nintendo Switch and we discussed an Xbox port with Microsoft. Nothing is certain for Cyber Knights: Flashpoint, and that’s why we didn’t make any firm promises in the Kickstarter, but based on our experience with Star Traders: Frontiers we believe those ports are pretty likely.

Do you have any interest in developing multiplayer games in the future?
Cory Trese: We absolutely do have multiplayer dreams. We both have enough experience as software engineers to know that multiplayer isn’t free—and supporting multiplayer infrastructure to a level we’d be proud of won’t be easy or free. For us to release a multiplayer game, we’d need to be confident that it could live up to our standards of quality and support over the long-term. Secretly I want to make sci-fi ARGP MMOs but I’m not willing to bankrupt the company trying to make them.

Where do you see yourselves in the future? As a writer, every time I reach someone I feel like my purpose is being fulfilled—what are you trying to bring to your audience and to what degree does this process feel like something intrinsic, something that’s a part of you as people?
Andrew Trese: In the process of creating games, I’ve slowly drifted away from being a software engineer and into some dreamland where I am a writer and an artist/art director. Both Cory and I spent many years running pen and paper games. For me, this is an extension and growth of that craft—being able to weave bigger, more visual stories to share with more players—and I hope to just keep honing that skill going forward.

You guys have been a godsend to core gaming on Android. One can’t help but wonder, with so many developers abandoning core mobile gaming development, why have you stuck around?
Cory Trese: We’re scared of what our fans on Android would say if we abandoned them. They’ve been hurt so many times before. Besides, porting our games to Android and complaining about dead batteries in test devices is a Trese Brothers tradition.

Andrew Trese: Long live the tradition! We’re sticking with mobile, it is where we started.

Any upcoming projects on the horizon or ideas you’re itching to start once you’re finished grinding this game out? Anything you want to plug or just tell your audience and ours?
Andrew Trese: If you haven’t seen Cyber Knights: Flashpoint or just missed backing the Kickstarter, then you should wishlist Cyber Knights: Flashpoint on Steam!

santino27

Arcane
Patron
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/cyber-knights/posts/2834914

May Progress Report

3693cb6dafc942fec5f5faf9f604021a_original.jpg

Knights!

We have a lot of exciting progress to share in this report, but we wanted to start with some gratitude. We’re counting ourselves lucky to have all of you with us during these difficult times. It has been only two months since the close of our Kickstarter but it feels like much longer than that. Our community is chatting and growing in our Official Verified Trese Brothers Games Discord Server so be sure to download Discord and register an account. As a backer,you’re entitled to VIP standing on the server, so type “max!addrole” to summon the MercerBot to gain your backer or alpha role. Hope to see you all there!

Recently, we were excited to sit down with an interview with a longtime mainstay in the gaming press -- Hardcore Droid -- whose team has covered our games since the beginning when we only made Android games. We hope you’ll check out the Hardcore Droid Interview with Trese Brothers where we talk about the game, the Kickstarter, the industry, our relationship brothers and co-creators and more.

9aa8bb2dc4cde6bc075c54b2da9b830d_original.png

Massive railcannon - doesn't shoot often but doesn't need to!
Progress Bar Report
With the last update 3 weeks out, we are excited to report some moving and shaking across the Progress Bar. Our schedule for rewards and stretch goals is split out into major groups (pre-Alpha, Alpha, and then the series of game market launches) and we are excited to say that all but one stretch goal and reward (waiting on Matrix Mk2) in the pre-Alpha grouping is now underway with the blue progress circle hovering by their names. The next exciting phase of this will start to see more of these items struck from the list completely finished.

Here is a swift summary, but see below for more details and art.

• All dogs, drones, cats, outfits and environments are now in the concept art phase or waiting with finished concept art to get pulled into the 3D production pipeline. This includes a number of stretch goals committed for delivery during the Alpha.
  • We’ve turned over the first 20 references for backer’s 3D heads to the concept art team as well.
  • We’ve completed 4 sessions -- about 11 hours -- of the first reward pen and paper Cyber Knights campaign. The story, connections and risks have intensified with each new session.
Outside of Kickstarter rewards and stretch goals, we’re making progress across the entire game. We’re deep in building out the UI kit, testing a new take on Talent cooldowns, tuning the mathematical models for the game’s stats and progression and adding more sophistication in combat, stealth and character animation. We’re pushing forward across the board!
99c4628caa81083626dbce249be0975f_original.png

Backer Pen & Paper Games
Let the games begin! We have been extremely excited to sit down with Legacy Edition backer @DrSpendlove and his friends and spin an all new story in the world of Cyber Knights. Under the New Boston dome in 2230, the Cyber Knight Yoss and his team are extremely well positioned to impact the timeline and events of the game set in 2231. Cory and I have had an absolute blast so far running the campaign together as co-storytellers and we’re both on the edge of our seats to see what major decisions and characters will echo into Cyber Knights: Flashpoint’s storyline as this campaign continues to unfold.

First, let us introduce the team: Yoss the Knight, Shimmer the Face, Catalina the Gunslinger and Agent EX Lupin. And second, tell their story.

Arranged by their Fixer Razor, the team agreed to work for a Matsumoto scientist to steal a Crane Tech prototype. They targeted a vulnerable moment as the prototype was shipped across the city at a commercial hover hub. The heist was complicated by additional security and a megacorporate shake-up within Crane. Luckily, Cat was on overwatch with her Customized Jaguar AT and by the time it was over, her rifle’s suppressor was smoking and the hover transport was a mess, but it was secure. Inside the hover transport, the close-quarters combat was savage and over in seconds. The capture cost Lupe his arm to the cutting edge of his own nanowire whip, traded for the life of the enemy's security team captain. With the prototype stolen, they escaped back into the shadowy streets but complications continued as the Matsumoto scientist changes the plan again. After a few tense days of unexpectedly sitting on the prototype, they finally got the call and smuggled the mysterious item out of the dome and into Ward 4. With the real sky over their heads, they dodged Los V gangers and Shimmer’s past life on those mean streets. The clandestine delivery of the hot prototype ended at the scientist secret laboratory tucked away under an abandoned factory deep in the Ward. With Brave Star and a wrathful megacorp trying to close the net on them, they slipped back to their safehouse to let the heat blow over.

A few weeks passed before the Matsumoto scientist called again with a second job and even juicier pay. This time it’s was clear he had suddenly gained a new ally or boss with powerful connections in the Matsumoto military. The team signed up to help investigate a suspicious ransom-kidnapping by a no-name criminal syndicate, the Seven Dragons.

After digging into the story across rough Fenian territory, banking records and in the seedy gambling dens halfway between corporate and the streets the team believes they’ve uncovered an ugly truth -- that the kidnappers secretly work for Matsumoto and they are caught in an internal megacorp rivalry turned toxic.

With session #5 and #6 coming up this week, the waters are about to get a lot deeper!

ae63fb43f1665ec6c12dd0da8899aee3_original.png

Creator Edition: Character Faces
Few things are more rewarding than seeing some of our backers joining the ranks of characters in the game. With the first 20 faces reference sets delivered to the concept team, the first finished faces started coming out of the pipe late last week. We’re thrilled to get feedback from our creators, and especially when it reads like this: “I absolutely love this, 100%! It came out so much better than I thought. ... You guys definitely have a top notch [art] team.”

a397d082617583f3f3a5aa355b15b42f_original.jpg

2X Dog Stretch Goal
Due to the avalanche of votes we received about the new dog breed, we committed to add two new dog breeds to the game -- both of our personal dogs. Each new breed will come with its own art, model, animations and abilities that can make it advantageous for your Hunder’s style. These are the first round drafts of the two dogs -- a support/sensory beagle and a fast attack shepherd. As the designs are pretty personal to us, we’re going through a set of revisions to tune them before they head to the 3D team. As with every aspect of the project, we're excited to share this progress!

8dea60ff5a07f1f5005d837222e98f67_original.png

a3c4b0f96c41beed82b8e0ee5f9dce00_original.png

Wishlists on Steam
You’ve helped back us to create this amazing game. Now please help us get the word out by telling a friend of yours about the game you’re helping to create. Invite a friend or gaming community today to add Cyber Knights: Flashpoint to their Steam wishlist and ‘Follow’ the game. This will help the game build momentum for the inevitable Early Access Steam release to make Cyber Knights as successful as possible.

f9271f635b624745adfcfc0c623e2c7c_original.png

Streaming on Twitch
You can find Cory (and sometimes Andrew) on the Trese Brothers Twitch where we are streaming game development, answering questions and talking about the studio Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4PM EST.

As always, thank you for your support!

Andrew and Cory Trese

Trese Brothers Games

d9448511a3a9986b668aa4cc32f4b065_original.png

Heavy and exotic directed energy weapons
97f1512e6d93bf09eae6a6d0a15f3535_original.png

Matsumoto Railcannon
d49283eb9d04dd645d96aba7c57330e5_original.jpg

Improved splinter drone with more detail
25550452249929ba4f7928abca883c82_original.gif

9b9aa64beb1f28fb00ed9fa0943a820d_original.png

CoronerZg

Augur
Watched the trailer on Steam... can't say I like the visuals. Concept art is nice but that in game footage looks cartoony and too distracting (1:18 moment was cringe 101).
So I hope that changes for the better... cause other than that game sounds pretty cool :M

Harthwain

Magister
Same - I am not fan of the graphics, but I like the idea and knowing these guys I am willing to give it a shot.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/cyber-knights/posts/2864385

June Progress Update

78255bbe32153f90e2397fdc6754d8c8_original.jpg

Knights!

It has been a little longer than we expected since the last update -- a month and 3 days -- but we’ve got a massive slew of news today including new artwork, the snow leopard reveal, exciting language pack plans, details about the first upcoming Exec Producers meeting, reward deliveries and more. We've got at least one more Kickstarter update scheduled before the end of June, so we'll keep the pace a little more snappy.

With that much to cover, let’s get going!

Introducing the Snow Leopard!
Thanks to all of our backers, we unlocked cyber cats and the Assassin Job at the $225,000 stretch goal. Even better, we decided to unlock the additional cat breed from the $235,000 goal as well -- because, two cats are better than one! And then, in a run off between three possibilities, you voted for the Snow Leopard to be the additional cat breed.

And that leads us to today, where the concept art team -- led by some cat lovers! -- has delivered this amazing piece for the snow leopard design. What a beast! Clearly, this will not be an easy cat to find and recruit, but to have such a majestic animal at your Assassin’s side will never grow old.

93e00aa4bfeca434c95a4a696f878499_original.jpg

Announcing Plans for Language Pack Support!
Since the close of the Kickstarter, we’ve been extremely busy building new engine components and adapting our workflows and content building systems for Cyber Knights. These are some major tasks that will set the foundation of Cyber Knights and include items like rewriting our UI toolkit and establishing a proper text management system within Unity.

Each of our future Kickstarter updates is likely to touch on the results of some of these major engineering tasks. Today, we’re excited to share our plans and progress for translating Cyber Knights: Flashpoint into many languages. Despite being only available in English, our previous game Star Traders: Frontiers has a large international fanbase and we’ve always hoped to be able to translate the game for those players. However, this is much easier when we have a fresh start and this Kickstarter and Cyber Knights has afforded us that opportunity.

68ef4c5bf5041e1b3c772acfbc452db2_original.png

We have not finalized our language list or exact system for how translations will be available; however, the engineering work has reached a point where we can commit to translating Cyber Knights: Flashpoint into multiple languages. During the alpha, we work with interested players within the community to help test out the full translation pipeline and provide some initial community-led translations. Depending on the success of those efforts we will further engage the community and bring in professional translation services as needed to complete the project.

While we can’t commit to specific language nor which languages might be available when the game launches on Steam, the UI toolkit is now ready to play and we’ll be keeping that support tested, polished and primed for translation throughout the entire game development cycle.

4e25c7012f5f9933298e823d4fe5a5e2_original.png

Stretch Goal Outfits
There were 3 different new outfit sets (street, military, corp) unlocked as the project marched up its stretch goal ladder and we are excited to debut the first set today -- the street outfits. The corp and military additions will follow soon enough, but for today we’re looking over a street berserker and an all too cool bubble-gum popping street blade.

3269afc4b9f6b4ba20c0e23df389b336_original.jpg

03a269e651b2b10b221ef5e55252d62d_original.png

Forum Badges Delivered
We have now completed the sweep of social rewards due for the project, with every backer who entered a forum username for either the backers badge or the alpha badge now tagged on our forum. For our alpha backers, this badge will grant you access to the private forum boards used for feedback, suggestions and bug reports during the alpha. Now is a good time to check your forum account and make sure you are a badged! If you want your Cyber Knights badge to be shown as your active group, you must set it to be your user’s display group under Edit Profile > Settings > Display Group.

a1100b0386eb5f3a702ef44ee8000c9e_original.png

First Exec Producers Meeting
As the project has been picking up speed, we’re now preparing to sit down with our 22 Executive Producers ($1,000 reward or higher) and give them the first big behind the scenes look. This first meeting is focused on the game’s artwork and the process of visualizing, designing, drawing and then 3D modeling the Cyber Knights world -- not to mention putting it all into motion. The Execs will get a special tour of the process, the tools we use, and get a sneak peak look at a lot of the work-in-progress art as it stands.

0d6aa12e859222359e2b20f2aeb469f9_original.png

This first meeting will replace Cory’s usual Twitch 4 PM slot on Tuesday, June 16th. If you're attending, be sure to be in the #ck_exec's channel on our Discord at the appointed hour.

45ef7cd508cddd44fea6fd68bfa4430a_original.jpg

Backer Pen & Paper Game
When we last covered the pen and paper game for @DrSpendLove in our May update, we’d played the first four sessions of the campaign. Last night we played out the 13th and penultimate session with the final showdown looming inexorably over Yoss and his team. Some huge final choices have to be made and the consequences will ripple through New Boston and the game's story!

From where we last left Yoss, Cat, Shimmer and Lupin they dove straight into spoiler territory for the game. Their investigation led them through illicit gambling houses, corporate shadow banking and onto the trail of a secret shell corporation -- Nordic Financial Holdings Limited. “In these situations, you have to follow the money,” Shimmer said at the time. The Face’s quote has haunted them for the rest of the campaign.

The trail of money has led them through shell companies, to secret orbital communications relays, to the very top of the Matsumoto board and back down again into the dirty and bloody Los V streets of Ward 4. The trail of the money ran deep and they have peeled back layer after layer of a dizzying conspiracy until at last they saw how it all connected in Session #11. The deadly cat and mouse game has continued unabated, each side landing body blows as the team has destroyed both some key enemies and assets but have lost their safehouse, friends and limbs in the balance. The chips haven’t all hit the table yet and there are still more to fall.

31a67015ea5828fa67cd3c04c831c0ea_original.gif

Progress Bar Report
With each update, we always include the Progress Bar report so the current status is nice and clear. With this update, the only change is to mark off the Forum Badges as now completed and to add the little "3D" icon to those assets that have their concept art completed and are now in the hands of the 3D modeling team.

Here is a swift summary, but see below for more details and art.

• All concept art for the stretch goals (dogs, drones, cats, outfits and environments) are in the hands of the concept team and most are in the review and tweak stage or completed.
  • Our concept art team has completed 46 or the 55 heads turned in our backers and the concept art is getting reviewed, finalized and ready for 3D processing.
  • We’ve completed 13 sessions -- almost 40 hours -- of the first reward pen and paper Cyber Knights campaign. We will play our last session next week and bring the campaign to its nail-biting conclusion. We will miss the weekly chance to visit New Boston -- it has been so much fun!
d1f18ef663cd670739e59597faeea8a3_original.png

Streaming on Twitch

As always, thank you for your support!

Andrew and Cory Trese

Trese Brothers Games

ae0ec4cf7fa2c02b793d91f46e3bbf8e_original.jpg

7f12f683df45821ebc37593efe6e9dee_original.png

67eca4100ca65a02010b91e0389c1313_original.png

223dad86758976f04e2cc71da30c9cac_original.jpg

2947404e0ec21d120f8b1f1a3766da75_original.jpg

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looking at that progress chart, I can remember participating in a cat breed poll but I can't really remember getting keys for Star Traders and Templar Battleforce. Were these sent by Email?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
Looking at that progress chart, I can remember participating in a cat breed poll but I can't really remember getting keys for Star Traders and Templar Battleforce. Were these sent by Email?
If you purchased those add-ons, you need to complete the backet kit survey, at which point, they sent an email with a link to claim your keys:

IRriQtb.png

If you didn't get the survey or the response, I'm sure you can reach out on thier Discord.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/cyber-knights/posts/2877784

Wrapping Up Q2 2020

79777663082829b36b3511a47ccebc76_original.jpg

Knights!

The third quarter of 2020 is just around the corner and we are back to share the latest game dev news and highlight the backer rewards that are fast moving at the moment. As we get into the height of summer, we’ll be picking up the pace of updates a bit as there is going to be a lot coming together at once.

If you missed the last Update #31, we announced language pack support, debuted the snow leopard and the new Street Outfit stretch goal design.

aa41376ed319c89db4ff22bb635e69e2_original.png

Reactive, Dynamic Music/SFX
In the last Kickstarter update, we announced that Cyber Knights: Flashpoint will be translated into multiple languages. A week later, we’re wrapping up another major upgrade to our music and SFX system. Part of our journey over the last 10 years has been working to always improve every aspect of our work with each new game. For those of you who have been with us for a while, you’ve heard this evolution as we have grown from buying $35 non-exclusive tracks, to $350 non-exclusive tracks and finally experiencing the joy of having our own custom composed soundtrack for Star Traders: Frontiers.

Today we’re excited to share another step beyond that -- we have upgraded to Wwise, a feature-rich AAA audio-middleware that provides interactive audio solutions for games. Working with our composers and sound designers at Studio Viking, we’re now rigging up the game’s soundtrack with unparalleled dynamics -- at least for us. The ability for the game’s music to dynamically reflect the state of the game is a huge step beyond a beautifully composed soundtrack. The game’s music will now react to different gameplay modes, playing and transitioning between different music as you are sneaking versus in combat versus fighting a boss. Even more awesome, within these different musical modes the music playing is no longer just looping tracks from the soundtrack but it will actually change, increase or reduce its tempo, add and remove musical elements and intensify as the threat level (of being discovered, of the boss, or of the fight at hand) increases or wanes.

Once we hit the stretch goals for Skyrise and Safehouse soundtrack expansions, we knew that it was time to take the next step up the evolution of game music and SFX. And here we are!

755915cb86001adcc6a7322682401eb2_original.png

Legacy Campaign 1 of 2 Complete
Last week we completed the final and 13th session of the first Legacy Edition campaign reward for @DrSpendLove and his crew. The conspiracy and its secrets, final betrayals, discoveries and nail biting choices played out to the very last minutes when a final calculating decision changed the lives of Yoss, his team and New Boston forever. The results of this first campaign are packed full of game story spoilers we are not willing to share yet. Their extensive campaign has set up one of the big conflicts that will feature in-game for New Boston in the year 2231. We look forward to the day where we can reveal more about the story arc they played, the choices they made and the impacts they had on the game.

Creator’s Edition Faces
One of the largest creative reward sets we’ve been working to deliver is the concept art for over 50 backer faces. We’re excited to share a sampling of those unique and exciting creations today!

a10b584f932d74a1f2f132f475de0750_original.png

With this set nearly complete, the 3D modeling team has just started sculpting the first faces, so the next step will be coming soon.

be711cddf377bfa6253a5b84f697f0d2_original.png

First Exec Producers Recap
We had a great meeting with the Executive Producers team last week to share the inner workings of the game's art design and process, how we have executed the project and the results we've been able to achieve. It was an exciting hour but we had so much to share we didn't cover half of it! We'll be scheduling more EP meetings with the team to finish up the art discussion, discuss major design and gameplay milestones and more!

Progress Bar Status
With each update, we always include the Progress Bar report so the current status is nice and clear. Here is a quick summary of the changes with this update:

• We’ve marked 1/2 of the "Pen and Paper RPG" for the Legacy Edition rewards completed
  • With the 3D team starting on the backer faces now, we've added the “3D” tag to the Creator Edition Faces reward
4d1c90ac99137f552975f4d004c5976a_original.png

Thanks for your support and patience,

Andrew and Cory Trese

617668622e57f93b0810db6f6a3eec24_original.jpg

cc792ef88e76da75ac90be9fa52b86a1_original.jpg

5e6cd9f0006a292dfedb0560037df781_original.jpg

45ff346c967ec70fd70d7fb07ef9df7a_original.jpg

santino27

Arcane
Patron
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/cyber-knights/posts/2897751

July Progress Update

6aa8677139a625e0a19f78d2a35b5c8d_original.png

Backers!

With July already well underway, we’re back again for some show and tell about game dev progress and to deliver a reminder to everyone about the awesome MercerBot features on our Discord, and reveal the latest on both stretch goals and rewards. It’s a big one, so be sure to keep scrolling!

If you missed Update #31, we announced language pack support and debuted the snow leopard design. In Update #32, we announced the game’s reactive music/SFX and shared all of the concept art for the backer’s faces.

Level Builder
In the last few updates, we’ve talked a lot about the foundation elements of the Cyber Knights: Flashpoint game -- including translation support, reactive sound design and our new UI toolkit. Another fundamental piece underpinning our ability to successfully build out the game is our Level Builder tool, which we are now excited to off in an early preview video.

Our goals in designing the Level Builder toolkit were simple but as this is a tool where we will spend an astronomical number of hours, we had to hold it to a very high standard. We’re excited to have hit the minimum requirements we set for ourselves -- with lots of room for iterative improvement -- and are now in motion with the Level Builder, logging bugs, improving its various themes and most importantly -- building levels!

1. Author can rapidly block out of levels
  2. Author never places individual elements that are prone to error (walls, floors, fences)
  3. Author can play the level during development very easily
  4. Level Builder optimizes objects and components for efficiency (merge geometry, box colliders)
  5. Level Builder retains its ability to edit a level even after level is shipped to production (so that updates are easy and not painful)
  6. Level Builder is prepared to be a cornerstone tool of our modkit
In this preview video you can see a high speed preview of “blocking out” of the level codenamed “Ascent”. This is the first phase of laying down a new level, in which it gains its basic shape and form. The video ends with adding the first few props and decorations. The Level Builder helps the designer setup all the basic pieces and prep the level for the later stages such as props, mission events and lighting. Keep in mind, at this stage this is a level with no grime, no graffiti and none of the visual details that will make it really shine which are all added in later stages.

Using MercerBot on Discord
To support our 5000+ backers on the Trese Brothers Verified Discord Server, we’ve written a custom Discord bot, styled after the terrifying cyber-tactician, Max Mercer. To communicate with MercerBot, you can type commands into any Discord channel on our server but you can also use the dedicated channel just for messing around with bots, #bot_talk.
Cyber Knights Volunteers
Volunteers are players interested in helping new players with advice or answer questions. You can become a Cyber Knights Volunteer using the commands “max!vol” to join, or the “max!unvol” to depart the group. Any user on the Discord server can mention the “@CKF Volunteer” role to ask for assistance with the Alpha Test, Discord or other community resources. We hope to have a sizable community of volunteers signed up by the time the game becomes publicly available so that these pro alpha players can help support the game and the community.

93d820092b03d00b47488c1620499cba_original.png

Cyber Knights Notifications
You can sign up to receive Cyber Knights Notifications from the Trese Brothers team using the commands “max!subscribe” to join the list and “max!unsubscribe” to depart from it. We will mention the “@CKF Notification” role when we publish new Kickstarter updates, Alpha builds or social media posts we think are worth checking out.

Star Traders: Frontiers Volunteers
Similar to Cyber Knights Volunteers, the server has a matching role for our previous Kickstarter, Star Traders: Frontiers. If you’d like to volunteer to provide support there, use the commands “max!vol_stf” to join, or the “max!unvol_stf” to depart the group. Any user on the Discord server can mention the “@STF Volunteer” role to ask for assistance with the game.

Twitch Notifications
You can sign up to receive Twitch Stream Notifications from the Trese Brothers team using the commands “max!twitch” to join the list and “max!untwitch” to leave. We will mention the “@Twitch Notification” role whenever we go live on Twitch.

Stretch Goal Outfits: Milsec & Corporate
You unlocked 3 different new outfit sets (street, military, corp) during the campaign’s funding run and we’re excited to share the second and third sets today -- milsec and corp!

First, the milsec pair features a lighter set of armor of the all-day, every-day security soldier. Eschewing some of the trappings of heavier armor, the military tactsuit design enables a mobile street soldier who needs to balance speed, carry and defense.

1aff6f6b67fac89a3ea674846a661b8d_original.jpg

8c9d5107e5159bbb73387fd0e22c2c2c_original.png

And then those fancy corps have dressed to kill, pushing the stylistic limits of 2231 to ensure they are wearing the blaziest blaze.

17174d5db4d1d12b3ff78afbabc40f57_original.png

ed5d748982aae16f18486cdd38d46cdf_original.png

Backer Faces in 3D
With all of the concept art now wrapped up for our Kickstarter backer’s faces, the 3D team is starting to migrate those faces into the pipeline and into the high poly sculpting phase. We’re very pleased to share the early results! These are, of course, earlier drafts but we can’t wait to see the entire crew in 3D glory.

7d1a626ca5a9c97f130499aae47cd133_original.png

f3920a1bd0bcba1dbd9020ce3389149d_original.png

Progress Bar
As a rule we include the progress bar in every update. The changes with this update are to add the “3D” tag to the New Military and New Corp Outfit stretch goals as they have passed through their concept phase. If you have any questions about the current state of stretch goals or rewards, just post a comment on this update or drop us a message and we can help out!

627a99918b28ff63fce846ae985fe6e3_original.png

Thank you for your on-going support!

Andrew and Cory Trese

Trese Brothers Games

santino27

Arcane
Patron
I just assumed it would copy/paste. Ah well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom