Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cyberpunk 2077 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077

It's crazy that Cyberpunk 2077 was announced over eight years ago. CD Projekt's much-hyped open world cyberpunk action-RPG is finally out tonight, but not before having triggered an immense amount of angst on our forums. What is it about this game that's got the Codex so bothered? There could be any number of reasons - the graphics, the bugs, not being a ~true RPG~, the wokeness of course. But I continue to believe that the main reason for Cyberpunk 2077 angst is that we simply don't know if it's Cool. We knew that Geralt was cool, and we came to know over the course of three games that CD Projekt knew how to write him and his world. Who will be the Siegfrieds, the Vernon Roches and the Bloody Barons of Cyberpunk 2077? Does it even have any? Perhaps it's appropriate in that respect that the game's final launch trailer takes a more melodramatic tone than previous ones:

Like a couple of those previous trailers, the launch trailer also includes a hidden message from CD Projekt with details about their DLC plans:

The wait for Cyberpunk 2077 is almost over. It's been quite the journey, and first of all, we want to thank all of you for being with us along the way. We know there's a fair amount of anticipation for the game, and very soon you will all be able to decide whether or not we've lived up to the hype.

Launch day is always a mix of excitement and constant nerve-wracking, and with this being the first game we've developed that isn't titled "The Witcher," we’d be lying if we said we weren't anxious to see what you think once you've sunk your teeth into it. With this launch trailer, we're just about ready to flick the switch and see Cyberpunk 2077 go for ours and become yours. We set out to create our most immersive world yet, and we believe that the stories waiting for you to uncover, and the relationships you'll forge during your time in Night City, will stick with you for quite some time.

We've mentioned before that expansions will be coming, and while we're not ready to talk specifics just yet, we will say that we've learned a lot from out work on both Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. Our planned expansions will take you even deeper into the world of Cyberpunk 2077, offering substantial story-driven content that'll give you tough choices to make through impactful narratives you won't soon forget. But before we get there, we'll be kicking off our free DLC program in early 2021. Just like with The Witcher 3, expect an assortment of free DLC packs to begin hitting Night City, dropping a bunch of cool stuff that’ll inject even more life into the world of the dark future. We hope you're looking forward to them!

We want to end this message with a request. Once you play/finish the game, we would love it if you got back to us and told us who your V was. Our forums and social media are always there for you. We want to know how you found Night City and what choices you made. We created a huge world for you to jump into, tell us your story.​

Cyberpunk 2077 is available now on Steam and GOG for $60. There are no special editions and there are no launch discounts. Good luck out there, gentlemen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, honestly not really hyped, will wait to hear what the fair and most noble Codex contributors have to say about the gameplay, atmosphere, "RPG" elements and overall stability.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
"Demo" is already available in usual places (TPB, IRC, MEGA, etc.), that's the only way to see what it's really worth.

77% positive on Steam

3.6 rating on gog

:hero:
From what I can see most angry are Chinese (and other non-English speaking people) who downvote it for some reason (bad localization?).

Drowed

Arcane
From what I see, most complaints are that the game simply doesn't run (many are trying to run it on Win7), that the performance is terrible (even with high-end PCs) and all the bugs - no criticism directed to the gameplay or story so far. Which, to be fair, makes perfect sense, after all if you can't even play it, you wouldn't analyze these issues.

Perfectly valid criticism, but honestly, anyone with 2 neurons already knew that the game would be a mess.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Eh, honestly not really hyped, will wait to hear what the fair and most noble Codex contributors have to say about the gameplay, atmosphere, "RPG" elements and overall stability.

I watched stream with playthrough, which was mostly speedrunning it for 17 hours.
I would say we have severe case of movie-game type of game.
Plot is nothing special. Ideas are not new. A lot of cutscenes.
Streamer used melee build, his weapon was augmented dildo, which did more damage than automatic fireweapon.
I can't see in this piece of shit Game of the Fucking Year (no doubt it will get GoTY anyway).
It all looks like that The Emperor's New Clothes tale, where when game ended I had urge to yell - KING IS A FUCKING NUDE FAT OLD MAN!

But maybe I didn't undrstand something, maybe there is something in this game that left in the areas streamer didn't touch. Lol.

eldak.jpg

Last edited:
I'm reserve judgement. I try to imagine how I would have reacted to this game if I saw in in 1999. I'm less concerned about whether it's a good RPG than if it's simply good or not. My new PC could handle it, but I don't have the kind of time to properly appreciate a game like this. I'll consider getting the finished game and DLC in a year.

Antigoon

Augur
71% on Steam, is that a new low for a AAA launch day? Besides being broken and unoptimized, you cannot remap and apparently they forgot at least the German VO, nice.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

I watched stream with playthrough, which was mostly speedrunning it for 17 hours.
I would say we have severe case of movie-game type of game.
Plot is nothing special. Ideas are not new. A lot of cutscenes.
Streamer used melee build, his weapon was augmented dildo, which did more damage than automatic fireweapon.
I can't see in this piece of shit Game of the Fucking Year (no doubt it will get GoTY anyway).
It all looks like that The Emperor's New Clothes tale, where when game ended I had urge to yell - KING IS A FUCKING NUDE FAT OLD MAN!

But maybe I didn't undrstand something, maybe there is something in this game that left in the areas streamer didn't touch. Lol.

eldak.jpg

u1XEgMH.jpg

:what:

Bara

Arcane
Games just okay so far if really doesn't feel anything special though. It's a decent game to play if you want rpg-lite with guns.

However there are some really stupid things. I thought I could ignore it but the needing to be level six to wear a green hat that provides more armor than the previous gets annoying. Especially when it's a baseball cap that provies more armor than a biker helmet. It also seems to suffer from Divinity Original Sin item fever. I'm changing gear so fast between weapons nothing feels special I'm just putting on the stuff with bigger numbers.

Crafting may remedy that by having one set of gear and weapons you have improve and grow with you like witcher 3 did but I have my doubts.

Major sin of the game is you cannot kill npcs marked as green circles on your minimap at all as they're "quest relevant" characters. Even if it's for side quests and not necessary for the main plot. So all those in game video game representation of streamers are unkilliable and your stuck with them. The first one you'll see is cohhcarnage right next to a building you pass by on a main story lline quest. Can't even point your gun at quest "critical" npcs.

Past the main attributes unlocking doors and some dialogue checks I'm just putting my points randomly and doesn't seem to make things any harder or easier on normal.

Honestly when I say rpg-lite it's the politest way I can say this is the weakest rpg I've played released in 2020. Dungeons of Naheulbeuk captured my attention and rewarded my time with a game that came off nostalgic while being so new so much better. Even BG3 and Solasta in early access did so too.

Digging the narrative if only because I followed the TTRPG lore for a bit not sure how it would stand up for me if I didn't.

JDR13

Arcane
It's well optimized at least. I'm running the Ultra preset on an i7-4790k and GTX 1080, and it's completely smooth.

I agree it doesn't seem like anything special though at least so far. I'm still in the prologue though. Chose the Nomad lifepath.

Games just okay so far if really doesn't feel anything special though. It's a decent game to play if you want rpg-lite with guns.

However there are some really stupid things. I thought I could ignore it but the needing to be level six to wear a green hat that provides more armor than the previous gets annoying. Especially when it's a baseball cap that provies more armor than a biker helmet. It also seems to suffer from Divinity Original Sin item fever. I'm changing gear so fast between weapons nothing feels special I'm just putting on the stuff with bigger numbers.

Crafting may remedy that by having one set of gear and weapons you have improve and grow with you like witcher 3 did but I have my doubts.

Major sin of the game is you cannot kill npcs marked as green circles on your minimap at all as they're "quest relevant" characters. Even if it's for side quests and not necessary for the main plot. So all those in game video game representation of streamers are unkilliable and your stuck with them. The first one you'll see is cohhcarnage right next to a building you pass by on a main story lline quest. Can't even point your gun at quest "critical" npcs.

Past the main attributes unlocking doors and some dialogue checks I'm just putting my points randomly and doesn't seem to make things any harder or easier on normal.

Honestly when I say rpg-lite it's the politest way I can say this is the weakest rpg I've played released in 2020. Dungeons of Naheulbeuk captured my attention and rewarded my time with a game that came off nostalgic while being so new so much better. Even BG3 and Solasta in early access did so too.

Digging the narrative if only because I followed the TTRPG lore for a bit not sure how it would stand up for me if I didn't.

But would you consider it an adventure game?

Outmind

Augur

So it's basically Witcher with guns? Why am I not surprised?

Also, here's a negative Steam review that expands on what Bara already said. I think it's worth a read. Credits go to a user named Benjuls:

All the negative reviews thus far are about the graphics. This one's about the gameplay.

I was so hyped at the start of the game. So much to look at, such a cool city to explore. I loved The Witcher 3, and couldn't wait to see what CDPR had learned in the past five years. Then I started playing the game, and felt my excitement slowly decay into frustration.

You start working for Guy X, that job goes wrong, so you start working with Guy Y, then you get a job with Guy Z, who needs you to talk with Girl X so that you can get Object Q from Guy R... I was immediately lost as to who any of these people were and why I should care about any of them. Every mission I was like, "Wait, what am I doing? Who is this for?" The game grabs you by the arm and yanks you along without giving you any time to get your bearings. It piles mechanic after mechanic on top of you without giving you enough time to get the hang of them. Combat is, somehow, *even less* interesting than The Witcher 3. Basically your run-of-the-mill bullet sponge shooter a la Borderlands or Destiny with some awful tacked-on stealth mechanics. My efforts to be a sneaky hacker have thus far proven completely futile--the most I've been able to do is get the drop on one or two enemies before I'm spotted and have to blast my way through 20 copy-pasted bullet sponges with no way to return to cover or avoid combat.

As for CDPR's improvements on their formula, I was disappointed to find that many mechanics that should have died with The Witcher have made their unremarkable returns here--tedious crafting, an overabundance of meaningless loot clogging an already overcrowded HUD. A character skill tree that requires reading a hundred different skills before deciding, "I guess I'll go with the 10% damage increase upgrade" or something equally statistical and uninteresting. Hundreds of weapons that ultimately boil down to "How much DPS does it have?" Oh, and carry weight, as the cherry on top.

Beyond the lackluster combat, the tedious and dated game mechanics, the world just feels uninteresting. Don't get me wrong, it looks *amazing.* But there isn't really anything to do other than the quests/content put there for you. I remember playing GTA for countless hours without touching a quest, just driving around, or blowing things up, or getting into escalating stand-offs with the police. I had a similar experience playing games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. I believe the hallmark of a truly great open world game is when it can create a world you can have fun just hanging out in. I wasn't expecting Cyberpunk to be the next GTA/Skyrim, but I was expecting it to be a game you could have fun with just exploring around, getting into trouble... a game you could vibe to. As of now, the setting merely feels like a backdrop for a bunch of story missions, nothing more. Perhaps those story missions will get better, but as of now each one has been a variation on "Spot the person who's going to screw you over," and I have a feeling that isn't about to change.

As a huge fan of The Witcher 3, of the cyber punk aesthetic, and of open world games, 2077 feels like a huge miss.

Last edited:

Inconceivable

Learned
I'll buy and play once the dust has settled, the bugs have been fixed, the Poles have polished, maybe I'll even wait until the free DLC is rolled out and the price drops a bit.
In the meantime, there's no shortage of great games waiting to be played on my backlog.

Patience is key to the happy gamer.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
71% on Steam, is that a new low for a AAA launch day? Besides being broken and unoptimized, you cannot remap and apparently they forgot at least the German VO, nice.

So if the normies don't like it, it might be something for the Codex?

Dr Schultz

Augur

This is usually a competent channel and a good staring point for forming a general idea about a game you haven't yet played.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

So it's basically Witcher with guns? Why am I not surprised?

Also, here's a negative Steam review that expands on what Bara already said. I think it's worth a read. Credits go to a user named Benjuls:

"[...] I believe the hallmark of a truly great open world game is when it can create a world you can have fun just hanging out in. I wasn't expecting Cyberpunk to be the next GTA/Skyrim, but I was expecting it to be a game you could have fun with just exploring around, getting into trouble... a game you could vibe to. As of now, the setting merely feels like a backdrop for a bunch of story missions, nothing more.[...]"

Erm, was TW3 a game you could just hang out in and vibe to? I don't remember it being like that, it was fairly on-rails bar a few cool side-quests. Sounds like this is the same. I mean, sure you could wander around and there were a few things to discover here and there, but it was much more on-rails than something like Skyrim.

And Yong Yea in his second review shows some pretty good stealth+pistol gameplay (exactly what this guy tried) - although he did say that the double-tap-to-dodge mechanic occasionally screwed him up with that, as when you're stealthing you're often making slight adjustments side-stepping, and he found that sometimes the game misinterpreted that and popped you out of stealth to expose you. Maybe that's what happened to this guy?

Definitely some mixed reviews on this from respectable reviewers, but on the whole I'm getting the sense that the Chicken Little-ish attitude from some reviewers, and here on the Codex, are off the mark, and that it's just the usual scenario for many AAA games where there are some teething troubles on release but nothing that makes the game null and void.

Looks like it's just another CDPR game - not stellar in terms of depth, but fun enough, and with great graphics and sense of place/immurshun, just with some glitchiness on launch. Certainly not a disaster.

Never believe the hype. Pessimists have only pleasant surprises :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom